• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 Sony survey hints at possible PlayStation 4 features

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
A new survey sent out to PlayStation 4 owners hints at features Sony is considering adding to the platform.

Sony's questionnaire (posted online by VGXNetwork) includes suggestions for cross-platform chat with users on PlayStation 3 or PlayStation Vita, as well as the option to party chat with more than eight people at once.

Several features already available on Xbox One are also listed - the ability to change your PlayStation Network username, for example, or to be logged in and online but remain invisible to other users.

Sony also appears to be considering a player reputation system based on users' ratings of other players - a feature Microsoft recently trumpeted the arrival of for its own system.

Those who respond to the survey can rate each of these options on a scale from "very appealing" to "very unappealing".

Other possible additions include an "advanced matchmaking system" to better pair you with players at your skill level or players you might prefer, and on-screen notifications for when your friends come online - a feature headed to Xbox One in an upcoming update.

Source: Eurogamer

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Like a lot of these sort of things your answer often depends on how they implement each idea. A reputation system is a good idea, but its usefulness would depends on how it works. Likewise a skill based matchmaking system is a good idea or a hopeless one depending on how they make it work.

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well the skill one would mean I could no longer play with the likes of Col, DreweP or the likes....
Oh well....

Bogus4Real

Help with spellign, anyone!?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well the skill one would mean I could no longer play with the likes of Col, DreweP or the likes....
Oh well....
...but your reputation score would go SKY HIGH, excellent bloke as you are :)

Last edited:

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I would like to change my username, and the skill level matchmaking would be good for me if the system could find 90 year old half blind people for me to play against.

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
...but your reputation score would go SKY HIGH, excellent bloke as you are :)
Hahaha, you jest.

I would like to change my username, and the skill level matchmaking would be good for me if the system could find 90 year old half blind people for me to play against.
I'm glad you said "against" and not "with"

Last edited:

Bogus4Real

Help with spellign, anyone!?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If I could change my username, the new one would be RAGEQUIT (but of course that name would probably be auto-taken by @Bambara right away).

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Halo 2 on the origninal xbox had a matchmaking system to match you against similar level players> It took an age to get into games as it tried to match up everyone with suitable games and players soon found ways around the system, de-ranking themselves to play against the less able. For example, since you infomration was stored locally on your machine, a quick delete of the multiplayer file and you could start again at the low rank, not such a problem now with information being stored remotely, but clever player will fins a way to circumvent systems if they are not robust.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of anything on there particularly:

Player reputation system is meaningless unless they're gonna do something similar to Titanfall where they put all the cheats in the same game....although this means you aren't allowed to join friends or search servers, so only suitable for lone players, urgo makes no difference to us.

Advanced matchmaking system is a great idea for those lone players too, but means removal of the ability to browse servers.....if done right and this makes most games more evenly balanced then great....but it won't and even if it did work see what Yinkin said above.

Ability to party chat across platforms....yeah great, but if they could do party chat on PS3 previously then why didn't they do this before instead of saying it wasn't possible due to the architecture?

Ability to change your username? This promotes bad etiquette online....and that's about the only use for it.

Ability to be hidden whilst online - personally I see no problem with this, handy for if you're just turning your machine on to watch something or play some offline and don't want to be hassled.

Party chat with more than 8 - no thanks, 8 is already plenty to no be able to tell who's talking sometimes...if allowing more than 8, an overlay with the username would be useful, as would better sound cancelling for those who use their camera's to torture us with an echo of everything everyone else is saying.

Sync of messages across platforms - I actually thought this happened anyway, although not overly well, I get the same messages come through on my PS3 as i've already had on PS4...granted they should show as already viewed.

On screen notifications - don't we already have this too?

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think it would have been better to have done this sort of thing before the console was actually released rather than a half arsed attempt to do it afterwards.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
All of the suggestions are irrelevant to me. The reputation one would be a waste of time, as I met many arses on the 360 who had 5 stars. And besides, I dont want to be hampered with who I play with.

Cross platform chat may be of some interest. But I stress the words may.

I think they need to tidy up the dashboard. The ability to just shout a games name at the camera is awesome. So may be some more functionality there for the camera.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'd rather they concentrated on features that are 'missing' from PS3 or from what they promised:

UPnP-AV (media streaming over your network)
Playing Audio CD's
MP3 support
Video file (avi/mp4/mkv etc) support

Getting the features they sold us on this system with:
Recording and uploading gameplay footage (currently lacks a lot)
Remote assistance to allow a friend to take control of your session to help through a difficult bit
I'm sure there's other features they simply haven't delivered too.

Getting the core system right is far more important than stealing gimmicky idea from their opposition.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Does it not do 3D Bluray then? Not tried it on there yet, as I'm still waiting for a TV style remote for the PS4. Love the one on the PS3, very well designed and very helpful.

I know the PS4 is 3D, as played pinball on it, looks fantastic to.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Nah no 3D blu ray. Its rumoured to be on the cards. Same with the Xbone

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Nah no 3D blu ray. Its rumoured to be on the cards. Same with the Xbone
I just swapped my buddy my xbox 360 and everything xbox related for a shiny new 3D Blu Ray player, it will also stops my lady from killing my PS3 and PS4 turning them off at the wall when shes done watching a dvd.