1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS3 Sony buy Gaikai

Discussion in 'PlayStation Hardware & Other Games' started by Dogstar, 2 Jul 2012.

1. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
  2. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Its definitely the future. I thought Sony said the other day they would never abandon disc based systems!?!?! The general consensus was that our broadband speeds were just too slow to handle gaming on the fly.

3. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
    I guess there's no problem hedging your bets!

4. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    It's an interesting premise but I can't help feeling chills as people start to rely more and more on the internet. The "remote play" was a feature touted as available on the PSP but I'm not sure just exactly how many titles actually supported it.

5. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    The Pixel Junk games and Lair are the only games I know of. Did work pretty well, if you can live with the poor screen resolutions

6. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Resolution and frame rate are always going to be the things that suffer on this type of technology. I wonder what the FPS is on the BBC's HD iplayer stream. If it's close to 24 fps is that enough for a game to feel responsive in the day and age of 60+ hi-res visuals (excluding the low res of "3D").

7. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
  8. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Frame rates - BF3 runs at less than 30 fps so that's probably sufficient.

I have however tried OnLive and it's basically rubbish, yes it's responsive enough, which honestly I was very surprised at, but the visuals suck, it's worse than playing something that should be 1080 in old SD 420 on an LCD screen. I tried the Space Marines game on it and had also tried it on PS3 and it wasn't comparable at all.

Also Sony have stated that too much of their core PS3 demograph are in places with insufficient broadband, so doubt it'd be a main console thing without an option for physical media.

9. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    One minute there saying its not for playstation the next it is? Maybe they should stop speculating until something official is announced. Only time will tell though.

10. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
    The speculation pre-E3 clearly came out before Sony / Gaikai were ready to announce. The interesting thing will be if Sony still allow the other non Sony devices (such as Samsung TVs) to run Gaikai. This strikes me as a good idea as you are casting your net much more widely. No pun intended.

Broadband speeds are improving all the time and it does seem to be the way forward. It also means you don't have to "buy into" expensive hardware on a regular basis. Obviously, the big issue will be price as you are only renting any game you play. As had been commented on elsewhere different tiers of Playstation + seem an obvious route to take.

Personally, I'm excited about it as it seems to indicate Sony are still in the game. You can be certain Microsoft will be planning on cloud gaming too. The comparison of onlive and Gaikai on eurogamer seemed a hands down win to Gaikai as they are working with hardware companies, such as nVidia to actively reduce lag times. It looks like things are getting interesting :D

11. wilskywalker

wilskywalker Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    wilskywalker
    I was really happy with the announcement, admittedly our broadband speeds aren't currently up to the task in some cases but this can only improve and it's likely that if this type of game delivery interests you then you have probably already splashed out on a faster connection.
    My immediate thought is that this feature will be part of Sony's rumoured multi-tiered PS+ expansion!?

12. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    But thats all we do now. Im sure I read that all you do at retail and digital purchases is buy the licence to play the game. The game remains the property of the developer to do with what they will.

13. wilskywalker

wilskywalker Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    wilskywalker
    Interestingly, patent trolls Oracle just lost a court battle that could literally be a game changer...take a look here:

Link

The long and short of it is the following ruling in the EU:

The judgement stated: "The exclusive right of distribution of a copy of a computer program covered by such a license is exhausted on its first sale.”

Thoughts!?