The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS3 Sony Beta testing

Discussion in 'PlayStation Hardware & Other Games' started by Slaine, 21 Aug 2012.

1. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Im a beta tester for Sony (and Microsoft too :mrgreen: ). I know Martok is a beta triallist, and I just wondered if we had any more amongst the Senior brethren?

It'll certainly make the testing all the more bearable if we did it with a bunch of Seniors!!!

Post below if you are.

2. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    I used to be but let it lapse when myself and Martok dropped down to one console for 6 months when one did the YLOD. Back to normality now we've got two again and it'll stay that way. Still at least this way I get to pick and choose what I want to test rather than the enforced participation of full beta members with the new miss two Beta's you're out policy.

3. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Yes, I am indeed a beta tester as you'll see from by Beta Tester badge on the PS Forums. [​IMG]

Beta trials are like buses - there's none for ages and then you get a bunch in one go. Two titles this week to test on 3 nights running! :roll:

Unfortunately we're not supposed to talk about them outside of the PS Beta forums due to the Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) that we have to agree to with every trial. You'll be able to see what we're testing though on trial nights by looking on PSN to see what we're playing. :)

4. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    and then we could post that on here for us not to discuss.

5. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Actually I reckon if you PM'd one of them they'd let you in. I just asked if I could test Vita stuff now as Ive got one and that was that.

It all sounds great doesnt it, but the reality is its not very sexy. Sometimes you have to test some god awful game, or sometimes the code theyve given you just keeps giving up the ghost with endless crashes and freezes. But then theres other times when you do get to play something awesome way before anyone else. In fact, Ive beta tested stuff whilst Eurogamer and theSixthaxis are just guessing at what the gameplay could be like from some screen shots.

If anyones interested, let us know. ;)

6. Macca72-

Macca72- Newbie Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Macca72-
    What kind of hours do you have to put in? Sounds interesting.

7. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    It varies. Most of the time there aren't any games to beta trial, then all of a sudden there will be 2 or 3 come along all at once. When there is a game to beta test, there are usually 2 - 4 evenings over the course of a fortnight (e.g. Tuesdays & Thursdays) where you play the game for a couple of hours each test night. I guess there are 4 test nights as not everyone will be able to make each of the nights. The tests are often for server load but they also ask for feedback on the games.

It sounds good but in reality it isn't always. Sometimes there are some good games to beta test (Battlefield 3 and Starhawk are two I enjoyed) whereas other games we test are a bit pants to say the least!

Most beta tests are private ones only open to us beta testers (unlike public beta tests which are open to everyone). When we're participating in a private beta test we're under a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) which means we aren't allowed to discuss the beta with anyone outside of the beta testing and we're not supposed to post about the beta test on any forums apart from the EU Playstation Beta forums (which is why we don't have a secret beta forum here). The funny thing is, you can see the games we are beta testing when you look at what we are playing on test nights on PSN! :lol:

I was looking to see how you could become a beta tester if you were interested. I found this post over on the PS forums but it looks like they are currently full and not recruiting at present. Have a read of this though and keep an eye out for beta tester recruitment in the future.

8. Macca72-

Macca72- Newbie Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Macca72-
    Thanks for the reply/info/link Martok. I will read up on it in the morning.

9. kencanvey

kencanvey Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    kencanvey
    I am a BETA tester for Sony (games) and also for Talktalk mostly for their Modem/routers which I end up keeping ... sweet :thumbup:

10. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    I'm a Beta tester too, But only just, I can't be bothered to play the shit that's dribbled out of Sony of late, TBH I'm not fussed If they kick me off.

11. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    They do if you don't contribute

12. Macca72-

Macca72- Newbie Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Macca72-
    If you no longer want to be a tester, could you not hand the batton over to me, please. I think you are alowed to do that. I know you don't know me from Adam, but it's something that I'd be interested to do.
    Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice