• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

Song Of Ice & Fire books

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
To the unintiated, Im referring to the original source material for the very popular and extremely good tv series Game Of Thrones.

Theres going to be 7 books in all, with five already released (Game Of Thrones, A Clash Of Kings, A Storm Of Swords, A Feast Of Crows, A Dance With Dragons). The final two books are The Winds Of Winter and A Dream Of Spring, each with a page count in excess of 1500.

Anyways, Ive just read a lovely rumour that looks like The Winds Of Winter could be with us early next year. :dance2:

Ive often worried about George RR Martin, as hes not a young man and I would hate to see this fantastic opus not completed should God look down and smile upon him. Apparently he is in tip-top health, and has even imparted to the producers of the show how the saga finishes, should the worst happen. He is under tremendous pressure to finish, as the tv show is fast catching up, and waiting two years for him to finish the final book is not an option, nor is allowing another writer to complete the series.

I hope its not rushed. I dare say it wont be, as clearly Martin loves this saga with all his heart. Theres not a weak link in any of the books at all. Some of them were completed quite quickly, yet A Dance With Dragons took nearly six years to write.

Anyway, just wondered if we had any fans of the books over here in Seniors?

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Not read any of these but I am a bit of a fan of good fantasy yarns. If you have not already been there, I would not hesitate to recommend Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar series.

I have just started watching the tv series of Game of Thrones and so far so good... :0)

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I like the books, but they are very patchy, a little too much padding in the more recent books, he tends to keep you hanging about for the good stuff,. Dance of dragons did pick things up a bit, just prior to that I was starting to get a little fed up with endless volumes where nothing exciting happened. he has a tendency to re-use stuff, phrases and descriptions so there is an element of deja-vu sometimes he could have easily done away with two of the books. I do hope he finishes it before he pops his clogs and I hope the ending is worth the wait.

Those people who have only seen the tv series are missing out, the series barely manages to squeeze in the bare bones of the plot in a cohesive way, the full story is way more nuanced and character motivations much better fleshed out.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Message received will get a chimpanzee and some jello but not sure what your plan is :think:

Alien_Chick

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I agree with Yinkin, you really should read the books if you like the series, I read them first and they are fantastic. Has anybody else been watching and noticed that some things have been added to the series that aren't in the books? or maybe it is just so long since i read them that I have forgot :D Can't wait for the final book.....

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I agree with Yinkin, you really should read the books if you like the series, I read them first and they are fantastic. Has anybody else been watching and noticed that some things have been added to the series that aren't in the books? or maybe it is just so long since i read them that I have forgot :D Can't wait for the final book.....
No theres definitely some liberties being taken. Not too bad though.