PS4 SimplyGames pre-order console costs at least £65 more!

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
When UK-based online shop SimplyGames slapped an attractive pre-order price of £349.99 on its solus PlayStation 4s, people clicked and people pre-ordered.

But now those people are angry, because they can't buy their PlayStation 4 from SimplyGames for £349.99 - the least they can spend is £414.99.

A copy of the email sent by SimplyGames alerting our tipster to the changes.

SimplyGames emailed its PS4 pre-order customers at some point last week to tell them things had changed. "Thanks for bearing with us with whilst we finalised stock configurations with Sony," the email began,reposted on the European PlayStation forum. But those stock allocations "DO differ slightly" from what was originally offered.

Customers now "NEED" to update their order and "MUST" choose one of the new console bundles (pictured in article), the cheapest of which is £414.99 - the others are £469.99. Sorry, but that's what SimplyGames was allocated by Sony. An email sent in late September had warned customers that bundle configurations were being worked out, but nowhere did it say the solus PS4 people had ordered would no longer be available to buy.

What's now on offer.

Look more closely at what customers are now being offered: look specifically at the dual charging cable, an unofficial, non-Sony item. It's a simple USB-to-two-mini-USBs lead that costs £14.85 if bought alone on SimplyGames. It is not the official DualShock 4 dual-charging cradle thing that costs £24.85.

The price isn't really important. The point is that Sony would never bundle a non-official lead in an official bundle - a defence given by Sony to disgruntled SimplyGames customers who got in touch. Sony also issued a statement further undermining its role in SimplyGames' price hike decision. "Sony is not and would not force anyone to buy something they don't want," head of UK PR David Wilson wrote in a statement given to Eurogamer this morning.

"We value our consumers and offered the bundles precisely to give them choice and value. And the key word there is choice. We continue to work closely with our retail partners to ensure we offer this choice against the challenges of managing demand and inventory in the climate of amazing excitement and unprecedented demand for PlayStation 4."

Our tipster wrote: "This company are now trying to force bundles compiled by themselves onto customers who already pre-ordered the standalone console. Myself and others who had already ordered the standalone console at RRP of £349.99 are now being told we have to change to one of their own bundles."

SimplyGames has so far not responded to Eurogamer's request for comment.

Meanwhile, our tipster - the man who started the forum thread and contacted Sony and contacted Trading Standards - has been offered a £349.99 PS4 by SimplyGames with a game thrown in as well. He politely declined.

Source.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I must admit that on the ps4 the pre-orderers seem to be getting generally shafted by the retailers, both game and shop to seem to be pricing bundles above the sony suggested price and now this. Okay so its not always a lot of money and people will generally save with bundles even if above the sony price, but it does feel like the retailers are taking advantage of the demand and the sure knowledge they will sell out.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm quite glad I've not preordered with this sort of thing going on. I'm waiting until the bundles are properly advertised on websites with prices at what Sony have quoted before I pick one up.

Dogstar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Both my ps4 preorders qualify for the mega pack upgrade. From Game and Shop to. They are quoting £450 but I'm hoping these are simply place holder prices as Sony has only announced Euro prices for the bundles to date.

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I pre-ordered through Game, and I have upgraded my pre-order to the Killzone / Controller / Camera bundle. It's £450, but I'm happy with that. It's still a saving of £62 (on Game's prices) which is good imo.

Plus I can collect it at the midnight opening, which should be a laugh. :)

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm glad I wasn't ordering from one of those places.

I'm just not prepared to buy a bundle, yes it's cheaper than buying those parts individually, but why would I want to buy a bundle with a game I don't want? Now if they were to force a bundle on me but allow me to swap out the game for one I wanted then that'd be different!

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I wonder if part of the problem this time is that the ps4 is so much cheaper than the ps3, with the ps3 there was no way you could add any more to the price because the price was simply so high anyway. With the new cheaper ps4 there is wiggle room enough to get an extra bit of cash out of consumers.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I don't think it's particularly that it's so cheap, it's probably more that the XBOX720 has a higher price tag and comes as a bundle and therefore it's comparable.

Although there may actually be something in the whole blaming Sony for not allowing the retailers the option of selling the systems as the core bundles and offering a high percentage of bundle only packages.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The gaming market has been diminishing, so you cant blame retailers trying to maximise their profits. Still, at the expense of good customer service!?!?! I guarantee simplygames won't be long for this world now. May be theyve been taking tips from Microsoft.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I had a PS4, BF4 and Watchdog's pre ordered at Shopto, I changed my pre order to the official Watchdog's bundle and a copy of BF4 for the same price, But only because I was paranoid the I'd get my console and have to wait for my game's to be delivered separately, This way I definitely get a game with my console.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Did the same thing myself. Our postie turned up at 4.30 the other day. Ive got the Friday off, so I dont want to be sitting there with a ps4 with no bloody games.

Dogstar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Cvg are quoting a statement from Sony dispelling rumours that they are limiting ps4s only in favour of bundles. Both game and shopto were happy for me not to upgrade. This is simplygames getting greedy

Dogstar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Cvg are now quoting trading standards. They are suggesting injunctive action to stop simplygames ripping off customers. Lol

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Asda is selling the PS4 Mega bundle for an attractive £439 - that's just £10 more than an Xbox One.

The PS4 Mega bundle includes a PS4, Killzone: Shadow Fall, two DualShock 4 controllers and the PlayStation Camera.

There's a catch, though. As an Asda employee who notified Eurogamer of the offer this afternoon pointed out, the bundle is only available to those who pre-ordered the console before 5th August and use a code, which will be sent out soon.

Asda is selling all three official PS4 bundles: PS4 with Watch Dogs, PS4 with Killzone (both £385 each), and the aforementioned Mega bundle. The 5th August pre-order cut-off applies to them all.

Source: Eurogamer

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I had a PS4, BF4 and Watchdog's pre ordered at Shopto, I changed my pre order to the official Watchdog's bundle and a copy of BF4 for the same price, But only because I was paranoid the I'd get my console and have to wait for my game's to be delivered separately, This way I definitely get a game with my console.
I'll be far too busy oooohing at it to play it for the first week lol leaving my order as it is off that week from the Wednesday - Friday you never know it might come a little early ;)

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've just cancelled my drunken PS4 order. Oh, and my PS3 BF4 order. I won't play them, so no point paying money at this time. I'm sure I'll pick up one or both some time in the next year or two though, when they'll be somewhat cheaper!