Signing in...

For_Frags_Sake

Casual Gamer
Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm not a particularly active (video) gamer these days - in fact, I've never gamed online on my PS4 yet! But through coincidence I reconnected with Martok today and thought I'd stick my head around the door :)

I used to be VERY active on PS2 & PS3 - I was one of the founding members of Old Age Playstationers (OAPs) back in the PS2 days and have very fond memories of beta testing Socom, etc, I used to be known as 'Carrott'. Over time I drifted away from OAPs - I think there were some issues as it got bigger, but I think I also got sucked back into the world of MMORPGs for a while as well (Lord of the Rings Online, Guild Wars 2, Star Wars Galaxies)

Anyway, a little more about myself is in order I guess - my name is Russ, I'm 44 and living in Essex. I have 6 kids! (I know right? long story - short version, I was forced to start over) and the reason I don't video game very much these days is that I'm mostly a board-gamer these days....I run an online board-game store (and a youtube channel) and when Martok contacted me I noticed he was from this website :)

I'd like to play some PS4 online again one day, I do miss online gaming (I have a Pro and VR) but I'm not even sure how online works on the PS4 lol

I always hate trying to write these introductory style posts, so I'll leave it there, feel free to probe me (oo-er) if there's anything else you'd like to know :)

Russ
P.S. Apologies for the handle, I had to make a new PSN account a few years ago and at the time I was guild-free and playing lots of MW2 so it seemed like a good idea....I can't change it now :(

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Welcome, @For_Frags_Sake :waving:

As Russ mentioned, we reconnected via Twitter today. In fact we unknowlingly reconnected earlier this month after I purchased a board game from his site The Board Game Hut Ltd - The Board Game Hut Ltd (there you go, shameless plug ;) ) and subsequently chatted via email following the excellent, speedy service that I received for this game. It's only when I responded to a tweet today that we discovered who we were.

Anyway, it's good to have you here. :) There are a few folks who have PSVR so if that's something that you'd like to try with others at some point then you're in good company. PS4 online is a heck of a lot easier than the PS2 days with the separate network adapter and having to fiddle around with Central Station... :roll:

If you fancy some online action at sometime, do feel free to add me (Martok-, yes there's a dash at the end as someone in the US who got PS3 before we did got Martok first :rant: ). As for games being played, it does vary. The game of the moment for some people is, unsurprisingly, Destiny 2. We also have some playing Elite: Dangerous, Warframe, Rainbow Six: Siege, Fortnite and more besides.

Anyway, make yourself at home, feel free to join in discussions or start any of your own, and I hope we can ease you back into online gaming at some point. :D

I'll likely be along to your site soon, I'm currently eyeing up Concordia: Salsa ;) :D

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Welcome @For_Frags_Sake! I used to LOVE Star Wars Galaxies. What a game that was.

Catch you around at some point. :)

For_Frags_Sake

Casual Gamer
Reaction score
Welcome @For_Frags_Sake. Small world, and now you can feed @Martok's board game addiction. I have Monopoly on the PS4 if that counts.

And....No. No it doesn't :P ;)

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have Monopoly on the PS4 if that counts.
For me, Monopoly is the epitome of a bad board board game (well, compared to many modern board games anyway). It's all based around the randomness of dice rolls. You can have a really awful game just because you get a lot of bad dice rolls whilst someone else can get lots of good, lucky dice rolls and they do well. There's no skill in that. Modern board games minimise or remove chance altogether, or at least mitigate it in some way. They are based much more on how you play, the choices you make, rather than on randomness. I could go on but I won't bore you with a board game rant. :D

For_Frags_Sake

Casual Gamer
Reaction score
For me, Monopoly is the epitome of a bad board board game (well, compared to many modern board games anyway). It's all based around the randomness of dice rolls. You can have a really awful game just because you get a lot of bad dice rolls whilst someone else can get lots of good, lucky dice rolls and they do well. There's no skill in that. Modern board games minimise or remove chance altogether, or at least mitigate it in some way. They are based much more on how you play, the choices you make, rather than on randomness. I could go on but I won't bore you with a board game rant. :D
I don't hate Monopoly, I played it loads as a kid....we didn't know better or have anything else much at home. But I don't play it now as I've found a whole new world of more interesting games :)

It's like if you owned a Commodore 64 now and knew no different and loved it.....and then someone shows you a PS4 and your mind is blown ;)

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Greetings @For_Frags_Sake - hope you are keeping well & nice intro.
If you do ever want to connect (via the ps4 online) then do chuck me a friend request.
Former SWG player and PSVR owner here - if you haven't already, do get Dirt Rally VR & Polybius, they're awesome. Battlezone is pretty decent too!

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I don't hate Monopoly, I played it loads as a kid....we didn't know better or have anything else much at home. But I don't play it now as I've found a whole new world of more interesting games :)

It's like if you owned a Commodore 64 now and knew no different and loved it.....and then someone shows you a PS4 and your mind is blown ;)
I still have my Commodore 64 and that has Monopoly and Cludeo!
I can't be bothered with complicated board games that require thought and effort. Same with computer games. Point and shoot. That does me.

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Oh Socom, so many memories. Most of them being fond ones.

Welcome Carrot to our retirement home. Pull up a chair and enjoy the peace and quiet. Except when @Acegadgets is home. He loves to cuddle up close and whisper nasty things in your ear.

See you online!

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Which, on the other hand, makes it a great game to play with those who are less strategically minded giving them a chance to win for a change. :)
Playing games is not as much fun if you know beforehand who will win. On that note: I bought Pandemic the other day, which is a nice change since that's a co-op board game, so everyone wins! (or loses together, as is more often the case).

P.S. For a century-old boardgame I think Monopoly holds up pretty well!
P.P.S. Hi @For_Frags_Sake :waving:

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
NVranya said:
Which, on the other hand, makes it a great game to play with those who are less strategically minded giving them a chance to win for a change. :)
Playing games is not as much fun if you know beforehand who will win. On that note: I bought Pandemic the other day, which is a nice change since that's a co-op board game, so everyone wins! (or loses together, as is more often the case).

P.S. For a century-old boardgame I think Monopoly holds up pretty well!
P.P.S. Hi @For_Frags_Sake :waving:
The thing with more strategic games is that it's not foretold who is going to win, if the game is well-designed and there are multiple ways to earn victory points then there's no one-set way of winning, it comes down to doing the best you can in a game. Even new players can win these, my daughter has won several games on her first playthrough of these. In addition the euro-style worker placement games that I like tend to have limited tit-for-tat action between players, they are about doing the best you can to earn victory points rather than hurting other players to win. Also these games are enjoyable whether you win or not, as you are having fun playing them, trying things out and earning points on the path to possible victory. A win is nice but a loss doesn't seem to matter as you had fun anyway getting to the end. Once you know and play these sort of games, Monopoly loses its appeal.

Pandemic is a great game, it's the first 'modern' game we bought. We went for it as we'd gone off the sort of action that Monopoly and old games provided and liked the idea of a co-op game. We watched a video from TableTop (starring Wil Wheaton of Star Trek: TNG), it looked fun so we got it.

We agree with Wil that it's the most fun in a game that you lose in (and you will do!) We have subsequently picked up some of the expansions for this.

Anyway if anyone is put off board games because all they know are the likes of Monopoly/Scrabble/Trivial Pursuit etc then do have a look out for games like Pandemic/Ticket to Ride/Carcassonne/7 Wonders/Settlers of Catan, or feel free to ask for any recommendations. Once you see the variety of games that's now out there compared to what we had available as kids, you'll hopefully see why some of us absolutely love board games. :D

For_Frags_Sake

Casual Gamer
Reaction score
In addition to what Martok said (Pandemic was also one of our first hobby games) I also recommend Lords of Waterdeep (don't be scared off by the D&D theme, I don't D&D either).

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
In addition to what Martok said (Pandemic was also one of our first hobby games) I also recommend Lords of Waterdeep (don't be scared off by the D&D theme, I don't D&D either).

Funny, someone recommended that to me the other day. I was put off the D&D theme but as you've also mentioned it, I'll take a look at the TableTop video (plus it's got Felicia Day in it, anything with her in is worth a watch :D )

Oh and you don't have the main game available on your site, only an expansion. ;)

For_Frags_Sake

Casual Gamer
Reaction score
Oh and you don't have the main game available on your site, only an expansion. ;)
It's constantly in demand and restocks are always limited by the distributor, it'll be back soon I expect....or other stores probably have it still :)