Signatures

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ever since we formed this community we have had Signature Guidelines which are clearly posted in the Introductions forum. This has relied on folk following these guidelines (which on the whole folk have) as there weren't really any controls in place to automatically prevent anyone from posting bigger sigs. Until now. :)

There's now code in place that will automatically resize any pics in sigs to within the 550px x 125px dimensions. This is good for both keeping sig images to sensible sizes whilst also allowing members to use sigs that would normally be too big. An example is the raptr sigs that a few folk are starting to use. These are 132px high so what the new code does is scale it down proportionately.

If you are using text with your sig, the new code will cut off the text line if it extends beyond 550px as per the sig guidelines. I don't think anyone has a long line of text though.

The code has now set the overall height of the sig to the equivalent of 125px pic and one line of text which is what is specified in the sig guidelines. If any of you have used more text than this then some of the text will not be visible if below the sig (e.g. if you have two lines of text, you'll only see one of these) or if it is above the sig then you'll see the bottom of your pic sig cropped.

I have made a couple of minor changes to the sig guidelines:

• You may also have 1 line of text below this if you wish has been changed to You may also have 1 line of text with this if you wish as it really doesn't matter if your text is above or below your pic sig!
  • Animated sigs will also be removed has been added to the guidelines. Personally I dislike these and having seen a rather annoying one on another site this week, I thought I'd add this. Don't add an animated avatar either, or I'll remove these too!
Anyway, do check your sigs and if you need to, make any tweaks as required. :)

Last edited:

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
So the Raptr sig isn't an issue? I didn't think u just added it :D

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So the Raptr sig isn't an issue? I didn't think u just added it :D
No, it's not an issue as the new code scales it to fit our sig guidelines. I just happened to come across the code for sig control at the same time as you started using the raptr sig. :)

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Thank god for that ;)

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Sure I have asked this before, but is there a reason behind the 550px width limit ?

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Sure I have asked this before, but is there a reason behind the 550px width limit ?
It's a legacy thing - the size of sigs on our previous community. Can't remember why they were set to this, I remember they were originally smaller but we increased the size to this. I think it was because it just fitted on the forums that were used at the time.

The PS forums do allow images up to 600px size so not much wider. I guess we could look again at sig sizes if we wanted to.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I like the link to the raptr site which tells you what that person is playing / has played / how much they play. I like the way it shows the last few games that you played on the sig. Just not keen on the look of it that much. I might make a prettier one and just link it to the Raptr "about me" page.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I like the link to the raptr site which tells you what that person is playing / has played / how much they play.
Says I have spent 0 minutes playing GT5 :?

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Raptr doesent track the time you play on PS3 games, you would have to manually input the time you spend on the game, thats why its not that popular with PS3 players. It Just works out how far you are progressing using trophy info. It automatically tracks time spent and achievements on PC and xBox games.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
testing

cant seem to stop it from re sizing

Last edited:

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
testing

cant seem to stop it from re sizing

Have you not read the second paragraph in my starter post in this thread?

There's now code in place that will automatically resize any pics in sigs to within the 550px x 125px dimensions. This is good for both keeping sig images to sensible sizes whilst also allowing members to use sigs that would normally be too big. An example is the raptr sigs that a few folk are starting to use. These are 132px high so what the new code does is scale it down proportionately.
Have you not read the new Signature Guidelines that were posted and linked to in the Notices about Signatures that displayed on every page on the forums?

Image size
The maximum image size is:

• Image dimensions are based on those of the official PlayStation Portable ID
  • If the height or width of your image exceeds the maximum size, your signature will automatically be scaled to fit within these dimensions
  • Images found to be above a file size of 100KB may be removed. Keeping them small means faster loading times for other members, especially those accessing the site using mobile connections
  • Animated images are not permitted
I don't know why you're testing these images in a post? They will display at full size in a post but as has been stated they will be scaled if too large when used in signatures.

Last edited:

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
It seems my signature has gone missing on the mobile browser. As well as some of the Other members. I haven't checked the pc yet, but anyone know how this is possible?

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My signature went ages ago with the change. If anyone is bored and wants to make me a new signature please feel free to do so :D

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It seems my signature has gone missing on the mobile browser. As well as some of the Other members. I haven't checked the pc yet, but anyone know how this is possible?
You don't have a signature! You haven't had one since 17th August!

From my post about the upgrade Website upgrade - changes and new features:

Signature permissions
The new website has signature permissions, meaning we can better control what members put in their signatures.

The Signature Guidelines have been updated accordingly. There are a few changes to what we had previously but in general it is fairly similar to what we had before. Senior Gamers can see the original in the Archive.

The new signature permissions will come into force in 1 week and a notice will be posted on the site about this. All signatures will then be purged as they can't be applied to existing signatures. If you want to use the same signature after this (assuming it complies with the sig guidelines) then you should make a copy of your signature so you can paste it back in afterwards.
I did put a Notice at the top of the forums telling users that the signatures had been purged. If it's not there for you then you must have seen it and dismissed it.

Anyway, do add a signature again but something to note is that they won't display on mobile phones because of the responsive design. They will display on tablets and PCs. The reason why they won't show on mobile phones is so that pages will load quicker as you're not having to download all of those signature images. Clever, eh? :)

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Ah, I'll get right on it. Thanks M.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Anyone know how to make the official sony one update on the fly without me logging in every few days?

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Anyone know how to make the official sony one update on the fly without me logging in every few days?
If you find out let me know. Pain in the arse it is.:x

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
If you find out let me know. Pain in the arse it is.:x
It never updates, I did notice people using the US signature when it was available to non US updated all the time :(

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think you need to recheck the code or alter the guidelines!
I'm pretty sure my signature is according to specs, but it still is scaled down.

This is how it is:

And that's not like it looks below (at least here, using Chrome):

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
And fixed "mysteriously". Cheers!