• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 Sharing PS4 videos to YouTube

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've been asked a few times how to share videos from PS4 to YouTube, so here is a little guide on how I've been doing it.

But first...

Sharing videos is a frustrating thing. The PS4 is supposed to constantly record the last 15 minutes of gameplay, and most times that you hit the Share button, you get a random 15 minutes of gameplay from an hour beforehand.

I have found a tip, although I haven't tested it yet. Once the Share button has been pressed and the menu opened, the system will reset itself and will start recording again. Apparently, doing this before you start playing will clear the cache and it will work as intended.

As I said, I haven't tested this yet so I don't know if it works. I might try to get in to the habit of doing this after every round on BF4, so hopefully the recording will always be up to date. That way, I will be able to show off when I take @ChrissPeacock's tags. :lol:

Anyway, back to the guide. This is from memory, so may not be entirely accurate.

So, something awesome has happened on BF4 or Killzone or whatever game you are playing. Press the Share button, and then choose Upload Video. Quickly check that you have captured what you want by using the Preview function. If you've got the clip of awesomeness, press Circle a few times to back out of the menu, as you can't upload the footage while in game.

Once you're ready to upload the video, go to your Profile page on the PS4 and press right twice to view your Shared items. Locate the clip of awesomeness, and then press Share to upload it to Facebook. At this point, trim the clip to capture you being amazing / stupid.

This is all standard so far.

Now, when you go to upload the clip, change who can view your video to Private (Only Me). That way, you can work on the clip when you're ready and no-one will see it before it is finished.

The next step is to download the video. I use http://www.downvids.net for this (thanks to @Wilks for the tip) and it's really easy to use.

So, go to http://www.downvids.net and open another tab for your Facebook page. You will need to change the privacy of the video to Public.

Copy the link for the video, and head back over to http://www.downvids.net. Paste the link in to the text box, then change the Format to HD.

Once the file is ready, right-click on the Download button and choose Save As / Download Linked File As and choose where you want to save it.

When you have downloaded the video, go back to Facebook and either change the privacy back to Only Me, or delete the post if you want to.

Now use whatever program you have available to edit the clip as you want, then upload the clip to YouTube. I use iMovie to trim the clip further, and to add a title and screen at the end.

Once you're done with that, refer to @Martok's previous instructions on how to add Media to this site! ;)

Last edited:

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So basically the video capture feature IS broken and doesn't capture the last 15 minutes when you hit the button, as it's supposed to.

Great. :x

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So basically the video capture feature IS broken and doesn't capture the last 15 minutes when you hit the button, as it's supposed to.

Great. :x
From what I've read, Sony are aware of it and it will be patched in a future update. I can confirm that this fix works though, as I was doing it throughout the games last night.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
From what I've read, Sony are aware of it and it will be patched in a future update. I can confirm that this fix works though, as I was doing it throughout the games last night.
So basically hit capture when you start playing...then again between rounds to ensure it stays accurate?

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So basically hit capture when you start playing...then again between rounds to ensure it stays accurate?
That's what I was doing, yeah. I got everything I wanted, other than when I took @Martok's tags. Next time though... :D

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just gave this a try, since I had captured a bit that I'd wanted to a few nights ago.

Is there any way of having your video upload in 1080p to Facebook so that when you download to your machine it's actually HD quality?

I set the download to HD (1080p) on downvids.net but the source video is shit quality, this is clearly not 1080p, in fact the quality isn't even 720p :(

Am I doing something wrong or are my expectations WAY too high and I'd be better off playing my clip back on my PS4 screen and recording it with my phone?

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Is there any way of having your video upload in 1080p to Facebook so that when you download to your machine it's actually HD quality?
Not that I know of.

Am I doing something wrong or are my expectations WAY too high and I'd be better off playing my clip back on my PS4 screen and recording it with my phone?
I think your expectations are too high to be honest. Whether it changes it the future or not is anyones guess though.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think your expectations are too high to be honest. Whether it changes it the future or not is anyones guess though.
Given that the video's actually record in decent bitrate 1080p I'm hopeful that when other options than facebook come into play we could have high quality video.

As it stands the PS4 is not the platform to record video on if you want to produce high definition video's :(

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
From what I've read, Sony are aware of it and it will be patched in a future update.
Details of an upcoming patch have been released...

New PS4 update to add SHARE enhancements and HDCP Off

Here at PlayStation, we listen closely to your comments and requests, which are weighted heavily when looking at the future of our platforms. Since PlayStation 4launched, we’ve heard a lot of great feedback from you about what you like with the platform and what you’d like to see us work on.

I’m happy to report that, as a direct result of your feedback, we’ll soon be bringing some of your most-requested features to PS4 with a system software update in the upcoming weeks. These features and additions will help make your PS4 even more socially connected by further enabling you to customise your most epic gaming moments and granting even more options to show them to your friends.

This upcoming update will add a rich video editor with a simple tool to personalise your video clips, and you’ll also be able to export to and save the videos and screenshots you create by pressing the SHARE button to a USB drive. In addition, this update will add an HDCP off option for capturing gameplay via HDMI, a feature we’ve previously said would come after launch.

We recognise that some gamers want to record and share longer clips of their gameplay sessions, and we’re excited to deliver this option with PS4. There’s a lot more coming in this update as well, so stay tuned for more — there will be plenty in the update to excite everyone.

As part of a separate system software update in the future, we have been working with our partners at Twitch and Ustream, and will also be adding the ability for Twitch broadcasts to be archived – another highly requested feature among PS4 fans who are taking advantage of the SHARE button features. These broadcasts will be also provided with a higher resolution of 720p, so PS4 fans can enjoy live broadcasts with clearer images. We’ll have more to come on these updates and more in the coming weeks.

Ketchup.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Nice, I'm liking the feature of being able to export your video's to USB drive. I'm hoping this will be at full resolution so that PS4 users can join the rest of the world in producing high definition clips.

I may need to set up my PC to utilise it's far higher processing power for video editing, not sure my ageing macbook will cope well with 1080p videos.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Sweet, hope this is released soon I wanna start adding videos to my YouTube channel.

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Nice, I'm liking the feature of being able to export your video's to USB drive. I'm hoping this will be at full resolution so that PS4 users can join the rest of the world in producing high definition clips.
That was the part that caught my eye too. :D

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Good news about these improvements. :)

Hopefully at some point in the near future, the Media Gallery will allow you upload videos, which will be useful to those who don't necessarily want to add them to YouTube.