Senior Gamers 1st Annual Meet 2013

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
On 29th June 2012 Senior Gamers was born and just over a year later the community celebrated its first birthday!

On the weekend of 5th - 7th July, members of the community travelled from various locations around the UK (and one member from the Netherlands!) to the north-east of England. On the Friday several members enjoyed the heady delights of the North Shields area and the hospitality of our own @Acegadgets and his better half. On the Saturday the rest of the members travelled up and everyone met in the star spangled location known as the Metro Centre in Gateshead, near Newcastle upon Tyne. It was drinks to start with as many members met for the first time, some of whom had known each other online for the best part of a decade! Concerns were raised by some that @ColSonders looked too young to be a Senior Gamer as well as having unfeasibly large shoulders.

The first activity on the agenda was 10-pin bowling. After the initial disorientation of actually having to stand up and hold a bowling ball rather than use the six-axis control and the X button to move it, everyone got down to having some fun on the bowling lanes that were emblazoned with the Senior Gamers logo!

The games were fun and not taken seriously at all, though there were definitely glances between lanes as @Spruijt kept a check on his rival for first place, @Bertiepops. Despite the Dutch lag (or more likely @HaloJ ’s loud cough of distraction), @Spruijt couldn’t hold his lead and was pipped by @Bertiepops in the first game and beaten with a wider margin in the second. @Acegadgets was very pleased that he beat his nephew @Jkrohn1, who took the defeat in his stride and didn’t rage quit from the game.

MrsColSonders staring wistfully at @ColSonders

@Acegadgets shows his age, using a walking frame to try and help his bowling (and failing)

@Bertiepops hits yet another strike

Bowling Results:

Game 1
163 - Bertiepops
145 - Spruijt
116 - Martok
107 - JKRohn1
98 - Acegadgets
93 - ColSonders
82 - MrsBertiepops
81 - Alien_Chick
78 - DayTimeShark
69 - ChrissPeacock
66 - MrsColSonders
65 - HaloJ
65 - Mrs Acegadgets
51 - HenriettaPeacock

Game 2
131 - Bertiepops
117 - ColSonders
103 - Acegadgets
102 - MrsAcegadgets
94 - ChrissPeacock
93 - JKRohn1
93 - Spruijt
89 - HaloJ
88 - HenriettaPeacock
88 - Martok
88 - MrsColSonders
82 - DayTimeShark
67 - Alien_Chick
65 - MrsBertiepops

Following the bowling and the drinks that accompanied this, the Seniors headed onto the dodgems which we had to ourselves. Dodgems in the north of the country is clearly superior to the wimpy south as you are actually allowed to bump into each other! The Seniors began this in typical racing style with everyone going the same way around the arena in Burnout racing and bumping style until @HaloJ turned and rammed others head-on, after which others followed suit. It was great to see @Acegadgets driving in a vehicle for once that wasn’t actually lagging!

Dodgems racing style, Seniors all going in one direction

@ChrissPeacock behaving as he does on GT5, tongue-pulling as he overtakes

@Spruijt rebels and drives his dodgem in the opposite direction

@Spruijt and his Dutch lag destroyed this photo

With the dodgems over, the Seniors headed into the arcade to play a variety of games. @HaloJ and @ColSonders went head-to-head on Guitar Hero.

@ColSonders enjoying Guitar Hero against @HaloJ who appears to be taking it more seriously

@ChrissPeacock tried out two wheels instead of the usual four of GT5 whilst in the background, @Alien_Chick and DayTimeShark had just finished battling it out on air hockey.

@ChrissPeacock finds himself in 10th place in a race, a familiar experience to other Seniors in GT5

@Acegadgets and @Spruijt took arms in Time Crisis.

@Acegadgets wishes he had brought his bifocals whilst @Spruijt tries in vain not to shoot as badly as he does in Battlefield 3

@HaloJ and MrsBertiepops had a dance off, followed later by @Acegadgets and @Martok

MrsBertiepops bops to the beat whilst @HaloJ wishes she'd worn a bra

@Acegadgets and @Martok get ready for some competitive dancing

@Acegadgets and @Martok demonstrate they can move their feet without walking sticks (just)

With a little time to spare before food, the Seniors headed off to a nearby pub before their evening meal at Nandos with us all seated around a big table.

MrsColSonders, MrsBertiepops, @Bertiepops, @ColSonders, @Jkrohn1
@Bertiepops, @ColSonders, @Jkrohn1, MrsAcegadgets, DayTimeShark, @Alien_Chick

MrsAcegadgets, DayTimeShark, @Alien_Chick, @Spruijt, @Acegadgets, HenriettaPeacock
@Acegadgets, HenriettaPeacock, @ChrissPeacock, @Martok

Food was ordered and whilst we waited for it to arrive, everyone got to sample @Martok ’s hot nuts (MrsBertiepops stated that she had had hotter, which brought a pleasing smile to the face of @Bertiepops).

@Jkrohn1 with @Martok's hot nuts in his mouth

After a short wait the food arrived, with enough chicken to decimate a poultry farm and a huge supply of chips to go with it. Some followed this with some tasty puddings before we all trekked off back to the pub for more drinks and chat

@Acegadgets' nose, @Alien_Chick, MrsAcegadgets, DayTimeShark, @Jkrohn1

MrsColSonders along with @ColSonders and his infeasibly wide shoulders
@Spruijt bursts into song with the tune, "Tulips from Amsterdam"

Finally the evening came to an end and we departed back to homes and hotels.

Sunday finally saw the Seniors travelling back to their various homes, though not before the delights of a full English breakfast in many cases.

A big thank you to everyone who attended the first Annual Meet and made it such a success:

@Martok, @HaloJ, @ChrissPeacock, HenriettaPeacock, @ColSonders, MrsColSonders, @Bertiepops, MrsBertiepops, @Acegadgets, MrsAcegadgets, @Jkrohn1, @Alien_Chick, DayTimeShark, @Spruijt

Last edited:

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
We're a handsome bunch of lads aren't we!! Really gutted I couldn't make it. Oh well there's always next year.

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Great write-up @Martok and a really great day, thanks for organising! Fingers crossed that next years super secret plans come to fruition. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Looks like it was a success! Congrats all. See you at the next one.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yup great write up @Martok.

And great day, just a shame it couldn't last a bit longer to get to know people a bit better....but there's always next year for that.

Alien_Chick

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Cheers @Martok, a great write up, unfortunately I am still in the wilds of northumbria and cannot get the photos to download (although that is probably a good thing in the case of the photos with me on lol). Can't wait to get home and see them on my laptop. Thanks again, it was a great weekend and seems such a long time ago now, roll on next year :)

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Nice write up @Martok good to see you all had a good time.:1thumbup:

Now, is it just me or does @ChrissPeacock look a bit like Jenson Button from this angle? :D

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
More like the lead singer of Coldplay;)

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Great work as usual @Martok, thanks again and it's good to see there were no embarrassing photos!

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Great write up @Martok :1thumbup:.
And here's a little something to help you guys practise:
:D

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Brilliant piccies really nicely put together. Not an embarrasing photo of me in sight. Suppose you are keeping those for the behind closed doors section of the site that only SNRS can see.
Good decision.
Looking forward to our secret trip to Amsterdam next year.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Glad you all had fun :D

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Suppose you are keeping those for the behind closed doors section of the site that only SNRS can see.
Yeah I mentioned this behind closed doors section with the photo's to @Bertiepops with a hint towards him becoming a full member....as if a semi-member is not enough.

Anyway, I'm hoping that he does want to be a full member since he's been to our first birthday and was a bit of a member then too

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Great write up @Martok! Slightly gutted that I couldn't attend but I was living it up in Scotland. Next year I shall hopefully be there! @ColSonders and @ChrissPeacock look nothing like I'd imagined. I don't know why but I expected @ColSonders to look laggier and wearing a BF3 t-shirt?

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Great write up @Martok! Slightly gutted that I couldn't attend but I was living it up in Scotland. Next year I shall hopefully be there! @ColSonders and @ChrissPeacock look nothing like I'd imagined. I don't know why but I expected @ColSonders to look laggier and wearing a BF3 t-shirt?
I dread to think what you thought I look like?!

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just for the record, I finished up third in my rather shit bike race. :0)

Bertiepops

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I maybe wouldn't say normal...

roger947

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
A little late but i'd just like to say "A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY" to snr gamers.

Also special congrats to Halo and Martok who've done a great job with the site :clap: