1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Ring Ring!! Time for a new phone.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wilks, 15 Jul 2012.

1. Wilks

Wilks Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Wilks
    Just thought I'd open up a discussion for anyone thinking of buying a new mobile phone.

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S3 which is an excellent super fast android phone, great screen and excellent camera.

I got the phone through Dial-a-phone after seeing it on HotUKdeals. It's on the Orange Panther price plan for £28.50. Free phone and £50 cashback with quidco. 600 minutes, 1gb of data, unlimited texts and 2 Orange swapables. I chose Deezer which is similar to Spotify and Sky Sports which I can also stream to my PS3 without being a Sky Sports subscriber.

Highly recommend the S3 from myself. :thumbup:

2. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    My son and wife have the Galaxy S2 and swear its better than the iPhone 4 and simply the best phone theyve ever had. Personally, Ive got a Nokia Lumia Windows phone. The market is shit when compared to Android or iTunes, but I love the interconnectivity with my 360. Plus all the games have achievements which are linked to your Live account too. Oh yeah, and its got built in Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint etc). I really like the metro style live tiles, which are animated and alive, showing basic info (ie the weather tile uses location data to let you know the temperature & weather where you are)

Best of all free phone from O2, unlimited texts, 200 minutes anytime any network, 500MB data allowance for £21.50 a month.

3. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    I have a SGS2, Awesome phone!

4. shadstah

shadstah Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shadstah
    HTC One S. Just got it Saturday due to contract upgrade... used to have a desire s before that.

5. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I have the HTC One X which was the first quad core phone on the market, I'm more then happy glad I gave up the I Phone.

6. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Galaxy S2 here and it's a tremendous phone. There are some glitches in the firmware, but it's very good hardware, it certain pisses on the iPhone from a great height.

My with has the Nokia Lumia and I must say it's also a very good phone, mostly lacking in the store department, other than that it's only fault really is the fact that like the iPhone it's prone to broken screen although not in the same league as the iPhone, which i'm convinced ships like that, must be a special edition version without broken glass as you rarely see them.

7. roger947

roger947 Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    rogerjones947
    had an S2, couldn't use it properly, gave it to one of my kids, end of story. :oops:
    Went out and bought a galaxy Ace 2, still can't use it properly but i'm hanging on to it for now as i just can't afford to keep giving my phones away :x
    What the hell happened to phones being phones instead of all this techno mullarky :?:
    Sometimes i think that i'm living in the wrong era and would have been much more at ease in the forties or fifties where the most technical piece of equipment that i would have had to worry about, would have been an old gramaphone or valve radio :?

8. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    My dad was so tight I had to buy my own stereo. Being at school, all I could afford with the measly pocket money he gave me was a 2nd hand stereo from a charity shop that scratched every record it played. It was one of them stereos where the records were bigger than the record player :lol: I had to put up with that shit until I started work and bought myself a half decent one, and then the gits bring out cds!! :rant: :lol:

9. roger947

roger947 Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    rogerjones947
    I remember my first record player, it was a DECCA and everything you needed was there in that one black box :D
    Still sounded shit though, but at the time i didnt care as it meant that i could listen to all those K TEL compilation albums that my older sisters owned at the end of the sixties/begining of the seventies. :clap:

OK, time to take off the rose tinted glasses i think :silent:

10. yinkin

yinkin Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    yinkin
    I have a nokia 6103, you might have to look in a museum to see that one anywhere,I only have it because it was being given away free at work when they upgraded. It has many functions, it is a Phone AND it texts, how cool is that.

11. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    I think that's the one my boyfriend has reverted back to. His iPhone keeps going off. He has however now got a Samsung Galaxy Ace but can't figure out how to work it so I'm going to have to move all his contacts over, set it up for him and show him how to use it etc later.

I personally have only just joined the smart phone revolution and myself went for a Samsung Galaxy Ace (because it was the best free phone on the cheapest contract with O2 that I could find....). I'm very pleased with it. Easy to use (unless you're Mr Plax or Roger :lol: ), plus I can wirelessly thether my PS Vita and laptop to it easy peasy. Oh and It has Words with Friends and Draw Something which I was forced by to download and play.
    The Samsung S2 does look very nice but being a cheap skate I went for the Ace which does all that I want it for.

EDIT - I did have a cassette player in my van up until a couple of months ago when I felt compelled to put in a CD player instead. I still have all of my tapes though along with my walkman (and my VHS player and videos......)

12. wilskywalker

wilskywalker Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    wilskywalker
    You might want to check this out then buddy: My Xbox LIVE for Android

When it comes to phones I like to keep it pure Google and AOSP so I have the Galaxy Nexus. By far and away the best phone I have ever owned/used by a considerable margin! Highly recommend it if you really want to see what Android is capable of!

13. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    My contract expires at the end of the month . My phone is a Sony android Xperia X10 and I'm pretty happy with it. It has good internet accesss, takes great pictures and has a nice big touch screen.
    Been looking around to see what to replace it with and TBH cant think of a reason to replace it at the moment.
    My son now uses GiffGaff. Its run by O2 and he's really happy with it.
    As I dont use many minutes talking on it I reckon £10 a month will get me everything I need. Unlimited internet, Texts and 250 mins.
    http://giffgaff.com/index/offer
    Can anyone convince me NOT to get a giffGaff sim card, or is it a good idea for a low call user like myself?

14. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    If you're happy with the hardware you've got then what's the worst that could happen by moving to GiffGaff? It's not a contract you sign up to is it? So you can just jump onto another contract if you decided you didn't like it or wanted to get another handset without forking out all the money up front.

I've been having issues with my handset lately, the screen keeps locking on and draining the battery until it shuts off, making the phone considerably less than reliable. I'm hoping a trip to the repair centre will fix it, but i've still got six months left on this contract and when i'm done i'm jumping ship, Vodafone don't have a data signal on my commute to work. I'll be getting an iPhone5 and moving to a supplier who can give me data for everywhere I am regularly (Three Mobile). I've enjoyed the Android phones, they appeal to my nature of being able to tweak them, but there's too many things can go wrong and i've found them to be less than reliable with things like apps draining battery because they've crashed....the latest update on ebay alongside the version of ICS firmware I was running made my phone reboot three times in a row before eventually coming up with a message saying ebay had crashed. Too much hassle, not enough reliability.

15. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    No idea what giffGaff are like or whose services they piggy back but when it came to my contract expiring I didn't upgrade either as I'm happy with the handset. I went to a SIM only contract with T-Mobile for about £10 a month.

16. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    If your happy with the phone sim only is the best idea it normally half's your current contract price.

@Col as an ex iPhone user and a new Android user I can't see myself going back to apple. Although there reliable there a little too restricted for me. Since getting new android phone I realised just how restricted iPhone are.

TBH if your just gonna use it as a phone then it good but for Movies and music android has mOre decoders so you can throw most video formats on it and it will work.

17. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I already know the limitations of the iPhones.

The only thing that Android phones do that I use and isn't available afaik on iPhone is using different keyboard, I use Swype on Android and know there's a ton of different keyboard types available, this would be my only bugbear, other than that I use it as a phone (calls/texts) as a camera and for web browsing when out of the house.

Apple are a pain in the arse for video formats though, I have a macbook so i'm well versed on that one.

18. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    I wouldnt go back to Apple now. The iPhone is just too overpriced, and is even to start looking dated now.

After seeing Android in action thatll be my next phone. In about a year and a half though!!

19. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I can actually get 150 mins a month with 250 ms internet from orange for £7.00. So I looked at my usage over the last 6 months and found that I only once went over 150 mins and my average internet usage was 113mb. So thats an option.
    Also looked on price comparison sites and I can get a new phone , samsung, erricsson or HTC with loads more minutes than I use for about £13.50 a month.

20. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    It looks like I am one of the few that have never owned a mobile phone.