PS4 RESOGUN

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
RESOGUN: New gameplay video, co-op details and new ships unveiled

Every PlayStation console has delivered great shoot ‘em ups and I can’t think of anyone better qualified than the team at Housemarque to continue this tradition on PS4. Coming from the creators of the critically acclaimed Super Stardust games for PS3 and PS Vita, RESOGUN is a pure arcade action game with addictive and challenging gameplay, mesmerising special effects, co-op multiplayer and the biggest explosions ever!

In response to requests that we’ve read in various forums online, here is a movie showing off some more gameplay from each of the game worlds that Mikael from Housemarque covered in last week’s update.

If you watched the movie carefully, you’ll see that it featured three different ships as pictured below. . .

Cunningly, each ship in RESOGUN has different strengths and weaknesses that suit different play styles so you will need to try them all out to discover what suits you the best.

The FEROX is balanced in all areas, making it the easiest ship to start playing with. So, let’s take a closer look at the other two.

NEMESIS – The most agile ship making it perfect for flashy and acrobatic boost kills.

PHOBOS – The least agile, but has the most powerful overdrive beam, making it the perfect choice for filling the screen with special effects that PS3 can only dream of!

All of the ships really come into their own in the co-op multiplayer mode where you can use different combinations of ships to play with a lot of style. And because each ship leads you to play the game differently there are Trophies for completing the game with each ship, and some of the other Trophies will be somewhat easier to unlock with a particular ship than others.

RESOGUN will be one of the first titles to feature in PlayStation Plus at the launch of PS4, meaning that it is available for free to all Plus subscribers during the offer period. However, if for some reason you choose not to try PS Plus, RESOGUN will also available to purchase on the PlayStation Store.

Also, if have not played Housemarque’s other games, there is no better time to do so than now as Super Stardust HD (PS3), Super Stardust: Portable (PSP) and Super Stardust: Delta (PS Vita) are available at discounted prices from the PlayStation Store in the ongoing sci-fi promotion which lasts until 20th November.

Whatever you do, be sure to set yourself a reminder to check back here on Friday for the North American launch blog because the guys at Housemarque have some really epic final movies to share. So stay posted here and like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/resogun.

Thanks to everyone whom I have had the pleasure of working with to help create this great game!

Source: EU PlayStation Blog

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was a bit gutted to be getting two PSN titles for my ps4 ps+ membership, but I have to say after reading all the reviews (and remembering how good Super Stardust was), I'm actually pretty excited about this one.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
It's Stardust just not on a sphere :-\ , is it gonna be good? Probably, but it's not that impressive in my eyes :(

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
New RESOGUN videos show advanced gameplay, more explosions

To celebrate the official release of RESOGUN and PS4 today in North America, I am delighted to share yet more details about the game, from the team here at Housemarque, and of course, some more great explosions!

I know a lot of readers skip right ahead to the videos but I am going to start by sharing another piece of concept art, depicting a whole bunch of initial enemy designs.

A few of these may not have made the cut for the final game but most of them lie in wait for you to blast them to pieces.

Did I mention blasting? Okay, it’s definitely time for some explosions then and the most epic RESOGUN video yet!

The best thing about RESOGUN of course is that the gameplay is just as epic as the explosions and so the last video I will share here today is all about the gameplay.

RESOGUN has lots of subtle tricks to master in order to achieve the best score possible and as you can see in the video, it’s possible to play with a lot of style that is sure to amaze people watching over your shoulder.

RESOGUN is a truly mesmerising experience but I want to keep this update short and sweet. Thank you for reading/watching and we look forward to seeing you on the high score tables when the game arrives in Europe on 29th November.

LesTom1

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to playing this, it's like a modern day Defender to me, which was my favourite game back in the day ;)

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It reminds me of R-Type on the speccy a million years ago!

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm not very good at Resogun. Gonna keep trying to out do myself

Tried again and got over 8 Million points on Rookie. So addictive

Last edited:

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've just watched the video. Reminds me a bit of Super Stardust which was excellent on the Vita. I shall have to have a play!

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've just watched the video. Reminds me a bit of Super Stardust which was excellent on the Vita. I shall have to have a play!
Its so much better than Super Stardust in my opinion

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've enjoyed it so far. I can see it being very addictive, but it's a great game to play if you've only got half an hour of gaming to have.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I love its use of the controller speaker. Very good game.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've just had a play on it. It's a cracking little game, definitely in the ilk of Super Stardust. Took me a few goes to realise what to do with the humans and stuff, they could do with some kind of instruction manual, I had to read a few reviews before I realised what was going on.

If anyone is up for a spot of coop let me know!

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
RESOGUN out today: Expert tips for taking on the leaderboards

Today we celebrate the official release of RESOGUN and PS4 in Europe. As you can see in the artwork and video below, RESOGUN is not only a great shoot ‘em up, but also a technically mesmerising and vibrant game.

The image below shows off a bunch of enemy concepts and although some of these didn’t make the cut for the final game, it gives you a good idea of the killer waves you will be blasting to pieces when you play.

As Tommaso mentioned in the previous blog post, you’ll need to learn a lot of tricks to master RESOGUN and achieve the best possible score. As you can see in the video above, style and technique are happily married in RESOGUN, so be assured you’ll amaze whoever will be watching over your shoulder.

Because the game was released in North America a couple of weeks back (what an unfair advantage, right?), I am going to use this blog post to share a few hints that should help Europe catch up on the leaderboards in no time.

1) Boost to kill
Boosting in RESOGUN is not only vital to escape enemy waves, but must also be used as a weapon to ram enemies and to explosively blast into the middle of swarms. The end of a boost is always accompanied by an explosion, and the more enemies you hit with a boost, the bigger the explosion. Also, notice that each enemy you hit with the boost will slightly recharge the boost itself, allowing for really long and devastating charges.

2) Overdrive
The overdrive meter is filled by collecting the green cubes left behind by enemies after you blasted them to pieces.You also score points for collecting the green cubes, but when the overdrive meter is full, any green dust collected cannot be stored. So, when the meter is full and the screen crowded with enemies, it makes sense to activate the Overdrive and blast as many enemies as possible. To get the highest possible score, try to use the Overdrive as many times as possible on each level.

3) Keep your multiplier up
The life of certain humans (let’s call them “secret humans”) depends on the multiplier at certain phases of the level. Check out the glow behind the multiplier to understand if you’re going for it or not. If the multiplier is high enough, your multiplier will flash and release a human. If your multiplier is too low, that human will be lost instantly with an accompanying sound effect.

4) Kill the Keeper enemies in the correct order
Starting from level 2 some Keeper waves appear in ordered groups and there’s a specific order in which you have to kill them. The first one is always marked with a green glow and a target, while the others are marked in red. If you accidentally kill the wrong Keeper and break the kill order, the human from that group will be lost.

5) What’s that “Throw Human” button for?
Some people seem confused by this one. Don’t be! Throwing Humans should be a standard button in every game. What the button does is simply… ehr… throwing a human in the air. For what purpose? Well, if for example you are boosting, you can use the ship’s inertia to throw the human further and this becomes really useful if you’re busy fighting waves but still want to:

• Deliver the human to the next escape pods
  • Make sure the human doesn’t die with you if you’re about to blow up
Also, a skillful mastering of the Throw Human button allows you to juggle humans – two or even three at a time. Why in the world would you do that? To be cool, first of all, but also to score more points and also to unlock the ‘Micromanagement’ trophy.

Just before the holidays start, we will reveal expert techniques in more detail. Stay tuned to PlayStation Blog for more details. Thank you for reading/watching and good luck out there!

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I downloaded this the day I got my PS4, unfortunately I have been sick ever since. I still haven't played anything on the PS4, I just feel so run down. Anyway another doctor appointment tomorrow so will see what happens.

Also noticed on Twitter the a lot of people have broke the controller playing this.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I downloaded this the day I got my PS4, unfortunately I have been sick ever since. I still haven't played anything on the PS4, I just feel so run down. Anyway another doctor appointment tomorrow so will see what happens.

Also noticed on Twitter the a lot of people have broke the controller playing this.
By throwing it or playing it too much?

mrdjmo

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I really like it but lack the skill to be able to pass the second level lol need to practice

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Glad it's not just me that was having difficulty! I have made it to the third level now, go me lol.

mrdjmo

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Look at the show off :)

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Free RESOGUN update goes live tomorrow – full details
Ship editor, new trophies, local co-op and leaderboard changes

Ian Pickles, Producer at XDEV Studio Europe here today with some news regarding the all new RESOGUN update which hits your PS4 late tomorrow night, 22nd June.

This update, which is free to all owners of RESOGUN lays the ground work for the forthcoming Heroes expansion due on Wednesday which will expand your RESOGUN experience with new modes, game world and more.

In addition to getting you all ready for Heroes though we wanted to do a little extra for everyone out there to thank you for the amazing support and reception you showed to RESOGUN on release. The guys at Housemarque and us here at XDEV Studio Europe were amazed by the reaction to the game and thank you all so much for getting behind the game.

With that in mind, alongside lots of tweaks, improvements and bug fixes, this free update contains a few special treats from us.

Ship editor
One of the more requested features since the world first got a look at “dem voxels” was the ability to create your own ship. Housemarque listened and created a fully featured Ship Editor for you to play with as part of this free update!

Design your own ship from the ground up using a detailed voxel editor. Position the afterburners and weapons, set your own attributes to govern the ships skill at agility, boost and overdrive and choose either of the standard weapon sets for your ride. Want a flying Delorean with the agility of the Nemesis but firepower of the Ferox? Go right ahead!

But that’s not all… what’s a ship editor if you can’t show off your custom rides? We went one step further and fully connected the editor online, share and download ships from your friends, rivals and the community at large and try out new ships to see what gives you the edge in the leaderboards.

This really is a massive addition to the game and one that is going to stir up the competition. Being able to tweak ship attributes means the game is tactically deeper and there are tons of new tricks to make that high score bigger… that and if you can think of anything better than saving the last humans while piloting a flying ninja unicorn ship then I’d like to hear about it.

We’re really excited to see what you guys come up with in the editor and will be right there online sharing our own ships.

Local co-op
Another much requested feature was the ability to play local co-op in game and the good folks at Housemarque have heard you and added that to the expansion too.

Moar Trophies
We love a good trophy set and were really proud that so many of you achieved the platinum after the game launched. We worked long and hard to make a set that was a challenge but still achievable and we’re incredibly proud that we were a lot of player’s first platinum trophy on PS4.

Because we like trophies and we like to spoil you all, we added trophies to not only the forthcoming expansion but also to this free update too!

This is another great reason to come back to the game and improve your overall trophy score. Again these have been designed to make you play with the new additions to the game and while challenging should be achievable for most of you with a little bit of effort – for those that need a little bit of help we’ll be back in a week or two with an exclusive trophy guide for both the Heroes Expansion and the Update created by one of our very own QA team – keep your eyes on the blog for that in the near future.

Hall of Fame
Since release we’ve seen you battling it out for the top scores on the leaderboards and go all out to save the last humans. Some player’s blew our minds in terms of the scores they could achieve and others… well some others surprised us with the discovery of some really sneaky exploits.

Such as this:

And this:

I bet you thought we weren’t watching huh
So with the huge amount of changes brought about by the editor and assignable attributes to ships we’ve spent some time ironing out the main game and fixing some of the exploits where we could.

With that in mind we’re left with little option but to clear the leaderboards and start afresh alongside the release of this update. That being said we didn’t want the superhuman efforts to go forgotten so we have added a Hall of Fame Leaderboard to display the achievements of the original RESOGUN Heroes. All scores in the Main Hero difficulty leaderboard will be forever displayed here to show future generations the level of skill (and in some cases sneakiness) that was shown by our community in the early months of RESOGUN.

And with that I’m out of here. We’ll be back on the blog tomorrow with more information about the Heroes Expansion pack. In the meantime enjoy the update and thanks again so much for all of your support for RESOGUN.

To all the Heroes we salute you – now get out there and save the last humans.