• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 Replacing worn thumbsticks on a PS4 controller

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
We've had our PS4 controllers for some time now and they were all suffering from the rubber wearing out on the thumbsticks. I wasn't prepared to buy new controllers at £45-£50 each especially as there was nothing else wrong with them, so instead I decided to replace the thumbsticks. I thought I'd share information on this for anyone else who has the same issue and wants to save money - it cost us around £20 in total to replace the thumbsticks on 3 controllers, a far better price than £135-£150 for new controllers!

The process is quite straightforward to do with the replacement parts and the right equipment. It took me about 10 minutes per controller to complete.

Firstly you need to buy replacement thumbsticks. I got these from Amazon for £2.99 a pair:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I6OR1TU/

I also bought an opening tool set as I only had screwdrivers which might have damaged the controller casing when opening. The set cost £2.95.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01F4DSIEC/

Finally I also bought some additional thumb grips for £2.40 for a set (you get 2 different pairs in a pack so you can choose which you prefer). These would go on the new thumbsticks so as to prevent them wearing as I figured it would be easier to replace thumb grips in the future than thumbsticks. Note that I didn't opt to just buy thumb grips as the solution as I'd read reviews that they slipped off thumbsticks that had worn out rubber on them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GH7UA32/

Once I had all of these, I just followed a video from YouTube on how to replace the thumbsticks:

As I said, this took me around 30 minutes in total for 3 controllers, it cost around £20 and the controllers are good to use again.

So if your thumbsticks are getting worn, do give this a go, it's worth it for just a few quid.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I bought aluminium sticks for my controller, just used a standard screwdriver to take the screws out and switch them over.

They're lovely and cold when you first pick the controller up but for extended play sessions if you're quite heavy with your thumbs like me it can become uncomfortable after a couple of hours of racing or something.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That's why we went for standard plastic thumbsticks rather than the aluminium ones, we thought we'd find them uncomfortable for long gaming sessions.

The opening tool set was for the plastic tools to open the case (we already have decent screwdrivers). I found the plastic openers easier to use to prise the controller open and avoid cracking the plastic (something I've done previously when using screwdrivers to open plastic casing). At £2.95 they didn't cost much anyway.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My thumb sticks have worn on both of my controllers. I just bought the thumb grips and have had no issues. Cost about £3 for a set of two.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My thumb sticks have worn on both of my controllers. I just bought the thumb grips and have had no issues. Cost about £3 for a set of two.
Yes, mine were a similar price. As I said, I read a few reviews from people who had bought thumb grips that they had fitted to their worn thumbsticks and they had said they had come off. I decided to spend a bit extra by buying replacement thumbsticks as well (£2.99 a pair). As I said, replacement was very easy.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Tube of superglue?

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Tube of superglue?
Superglue doesn't work on rubber like that.

Anyway the point of the post was to show folks that it's actually quite cheap and straightforward to replace the actual thumbsticks. If people aren't bothered and want to find other solutions then that's up to them.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Cheap and easy, I used aluminium ones too but i rejigged the entire controller, bought red buttons too.