PS4 Remote Play requirement for PS4 games revealed

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Insider source says all upcoming titles will be compatible with its Vita handheld

According to an unnamed Sony developer, the company has mandated Vita Remote Play for all the games coming to its new PlayStation 4 console.

The news came via a report from Digital Foundry, which described its source as "a trusted PlayStation 4 developer source with a proven track record for accuracy." That developer has said all upcoming PlayStation 4 games are required to work with the PlayStation Vita's Remote Play function, and is only exempt if the game requires the use of the PS4 Eye.

In theory the new rules for publishers will mean that games like Killzone: Shadow Fall, Ubisoft's Watchdogs and Blizzard's Diablo III should all support play on a Vita.

Remote Play is not a new concept for Sony, but the PlayStation 4 has hardware tailored especially for the feature, as opposed to PS3 which used software video encoding.

Source: gamesindustry

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yeah this really should be as simple as the graphics being scalable to the much smaller screen resolution, with the sending of data back and forth being built into the system.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The second I see a Vita for 100GBP (2nd hand will do) I'm picking it up.
/if I have the cash at the time

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Remote play on the PSP was awesome. This is good news guys.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Remote play on the PSP was awesome. This is good news guys.
Yup it's a really positive thing....which given the gaming news of late is nice to see.

I must say I only tried the remote play feature on my PSP once....it worked, but the PSP had gimped controls.

I never really did use my PSP...which is why it's currently on ebay....potential bargain if anyone is in the market for a Final Fantasy VII 10th Anniversary edition PSP.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah. I'll believe it when I see it. Remote play on the PS3 was a big fat let down. Hardly any games can be used via remote play.

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I actually bought a Sony Ericsson Ayno because it had PS3 remote play features. Turned out to be a waste of money.

TalllPaul

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I wouldn't use it as I have two TVs but good news nonetheless. Would be worth a try with a decent wifi in England :P

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Would be worth a try with a decent wifi in England :P
Isn't the Remote Play option entirely using your internal network? i.e. the quality of connection will be entirely dependant upon your wifi router?

I didn't think remote play catered for use over the internet...

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Isn't the Remote Play option entirely using your internal network? i.e. the quality of connection will be entirely dependant upon your wifi router?

I didn't think remote play catered for use over the internet...
No it can be done anywhere with any wifi connection.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Remote play catered for internet and local useage. Obviously you had to leave the PS3 on and with the disc in so you could play over the net. I played Lair with remote play, and the PSP controls actually made this game easier and more accessible. Pretty much all of the PixelJunk games supported remote play, and they all worked bloody well on the PSP. I used to use remote play round my mums with her crappy 2MB connection and had no issues at all.

Imagine being able to play BF4 on the PS4 via your Vita. No more crappy soaps for me, and the wife would be happy that I wouldnt be dominating the tv again. Plus I could play it round my mums (which is so boring there) on the Vita too.

Could be a nice little boost for Vita sales, which IMHO is deserving. I think the Vita is overpriced, but I do believe its the best handheld gaming system ever made. Have a go of one in GAME or somewhere. Ask to see Uncharted Golden Abyss or Unit 13 in action and you'll see what I mean. Not a fan of the UI, but you cant fault how the games perform.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I totally forgot you could do that with remote play.

It'd still be pointless for me as I can't really play games until the kids are in bed, at which point I have a 1080p display and a comfortable controller I don't have to hold up in front of my face or suffer with a stiff neck from.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Can't wait to see what it's like, I have a vita and only one TV so might help me game more. Let's hope it's not remote via the 1/2 meter cable that comes with the Vita

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Can't wait to see what it's like, I have a vita and only one TV so might help me game more. Let's hope it's not remote via the 1/2 meter cable that comes with the Vita
You can use the Vita for remote play right here right now on the PS3, no cable required. What worked on the psp works on the vita. So not a great deal:( Music and films works fine

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
You can use the Vita for remote play right here right now on the PS3, no cable required. What worked on the psp works on the vita. So not a great deal:( Music and films works fine
What ps3 games can I remote play? Would like to see if the games are playable with the vita now. Will Google a lost and see what does..

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Jkrohn1 Lair is one, as is all the PixelJunk PSN games. LBP2 you can play, but you have to buy the cross-play pack to enable it; it wont let you play the main game. The cross-play pack utilises all the touch screen Vita controls.

Theres not many, but heres a list for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Play

Last edited by a moderator:

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ignore post. Tried to copy and past the list over but it didnt work too well​

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So can anyone confirm how remote play works with gimped controls?

I don't think I ever played a PS3 game through the PSP, particularly one that used all the keys on the control pad, but the Vita seems to have the exact same issues, it doesn't have as many control inputs as the PS3 controller.

So for a game that fully utilises the controller how does it work on remote play? Given that you're four buttons short i'm not sure it could be used for the majority of full games, though it's suitable to smaller titles that don't utilise all of the controls on the control pad.

Specifically i'm thinking for your modern day shooters that utilise every button, we'd be left without L2/L3/R2/R3. That seems like a hefty amount of buttons to be without for something like Battlefield.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So for a game that fully utilises the controller how does it work on remote play? Given that you're four buttons short i'm not sure it could be used for the majority of full games, though it's suitable to smaller titles that don't utilise all of the controls on the control pad.

Specifically i'm thinking for your modern day shooters that utilise every button, we'd be left without L2/L3/R2/R3. That seems like a hefty amount of buttons to be without for something like Battlefield.
I suspect you'd configure the touchscreen and the rear touch pad to be used for these buttons (or for PS4 games, then developers would do this?)

There's details on how to do this for PS One games here:

http://uk.playstation.com/psvita/support/games/detail/linked553845/item553838/Game-controls/