1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS3 Re installing games

Discussion in 'PlayStation Hardware & Other Games' started by Acegadgets, 11 Aug 2012.

1. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    What a twat this is. They take absolutely ages to re - install. I had to format my PS3s drive yesterday as it would not restore the files on it and wouldn't boot up at all.
    Luckilly my PS3 is OK, just had something corupt that stopped it loading.
    Unfortunetly I hadn't backed up any files since before xmas, and the only game I can probably just about restore that I currently sometimes play is GT5.
    Battlefield took the longest to get back on, you forget about having to re install all the updates and the Karkland pack etc. took about 4 hours in total.
    I dont usually play single player games a second time but all of my progress in Dirt Showdown has been re set to zero , even when I go online I now start with the old banger and am back on level 1. Its going to be a real grind to get the decent cars unlocked again. Havent tried burnout yet, I only play online and expect that i'll only have the paid for DLC cars to use if I ever play the game again.
    I was also part way through lego Batman, and dont know if I can be bothered to re play it from the start as I found it a bit boring. Tiger woods is also now a new golfer, Might get into that one again if anyone else out there has the masters edition? Otherwise it'll probably go on eBay
    Its also a shame that my Mass effect 2 and 3 completions are no more. I was going to load up ME3 to try the new ending. Now I wont be bothering.
    A lot of games I'm just gonna put on ebay, the likes of Assasins creed and IL sturmavich will be too hard to start from scratch again, and I never really play them anymore anyway.
    Like I say most of the games I play are online games so game saves arent that important but I will from now on be backing up racing games every few weeks.

2. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Sorry to hear this, Ace.

Have you considered going for Playstation Plus? I know it's £40 but you do get the online backup service for game saves plus you'll get a bunch of games during the course of the year which I'd say are now quite reasonable going by recent offerings. It might even save you money in the long-run if you end up playing at least some of these games for the £40 and reduce the number of physical games you get.

3. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Strange I mentioned this when I popped in on him earlier I haven't sent any saves to the cloud yet but after multiple crashes might set it up later today just in case. £40 to save a few years of gaming alone is worth it to me, but with all the free stuff too you ant go wrong.

4. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Sorry to hear about your woes Ace, its no laughing matter losing al your precious game saves. Had it happen to me ages ago and now I do backups of backups. A bit OCD I know, but like you I never had the heart to restart some of them. Some of my games I've invested soooo much time (140 hours is the record for one game now). At least your online unlocks should be preserved.

5. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Yeah I should have considered playstation plus. Might be tempted the next time I see something worth downloading in the free games or beta exclusives. Mind you as I'm starting from scratch, not a lot of point in uploading saves to a cloud, as I've nothing worth saving at the moment.
    A couple of good things to come out of is is that I finally set up a wired connection to router after chatting to the experts on our chatsite. And I opened up my PC media files so that I can put them onto my ps3. Also have a lot of space now on my hard drive for all the new games that are on the horizon.

6. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Gutted for you Ace. Lost one set of saves with a YLOD but saw the warning signs the next time and luckily got all my data with a backup and disk replacement. I'd recommend Plus for anyone who's a serious gamer, more so now that they've added the full games to the pot. Unfortunately it's Martok's saves that are protected not mine. I have to rely on the good ol' USB key and prey that the saves aren't copy locked.