The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS4 Rainbow 6 seige Blood Orchid

Discussion in 'Shooting & Action Adventure' started by HERMAN_JELMET, 17 Aug 2017.

1. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    [​IMG]
    OPERATION BLOOD ORCHID - NEW MAP - THEME PARK

Welcome to an abandoned theme park on the shores of Hong Kong for Rainbow Six Siege’s Y2 Season Three. During Operation Blood Orchid, you will explore a colorful new multiplayer map of a ghostly landmark.

Rainbow Six’s Assistant Art Director Karine Letourneau and Production Manager Frédérique Roussel discussed the core elements that inspired this map. “The S.D.U. is famous for being able to operate in Hong Kong’s diverse and challenging urban environment. Their unit is ready to intervene on an array of different terrains, from densely populated shopping districts to steep mountains,” said Letourneau.

The designers aimed to capture this eclectic assembly in the new map. The site was appropriated by a criminal organization, who adapted its layout to answer their needs. But lush grass and vines can be seen gnawing on old rusty metals, as nature slowly reclaims the area. “This superimposition will in turn influence gameplay,” explained Roussel. “Since the spaces have been reconfigured by squatters and an overgrown nature, the architecture is often misleading. You will find wildly different patterns packed in the same corner, for example, rather than a smooth succession of colors and shapes.” The resulting clashes are intentional, and aim to inspire fresh tactics in unique spaces.

Hong Kong is fertile with construction sites, which is an aspect that Letourneau and Roussel mentioned as inspiration. “The real estate market is sometimes ahead of demand. For this map, we wanted to portray a site that was not successful, a theme park that was built very quickly, and was lost just as fast.”

The reason for Team Rainbow’s intervention is clear: the S.D.U. has identified this perimeter as being used as a criminal organization’s nest for narcotic manufacture. After establishing a connection with the Hong Kong Triad, two Flying Tigers are chosen to lead a lethal raid in Theme Park.

The daytime ambiance is a hot and humid afternoon in Hong Kong. Expect majestic mountains out in the far horizon wrapped in some low, heavy clouds. At night, the atmosphere is tense and intimate, as you see flickering lights reliant on old deficient generators. It’s still early in the evening, when darkness is slowly embracing the shores of Hong Kong.

To learn more about our upcoming Operators and updates, be sure to tune in during the Pro League finals at Gamescom on August 26th on twitch.tv/rainbow6.

Martok likes this.
  2. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Definitely going to have to play this again soon. :)

HERMAN_JELMET likes this.
  3. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Rainbow Six Siege will be free to play this weekend from 24th-28th August. This limited time trial's exact times will be as follows:

• PS4: 3pm BST 24th August - 3pm BST 28th August
    • Xbox One: 8am BST 24th August - 8am BST 28th August
    • PC: 6pm BST 24th August - 9pm BST 28th August
    The game will also be 50 per cent off from 24th August - 4th September and any progress made during the free trial will carry over into the full game.

Rainbow Six Siege's next update for Year 2: Season 3, Operation Blood Orchid, will arrive on the PC Technical Test Server 29th August and Ubisoft is targeting a 5th September launch on all platforms. This will add a new Theme Park map set in Hong Kong, the ability to deploy two drones at a time and switch between their camera feeds, and access to three new Operators. More details on these characters can be found on the PlayStation Blog.

This impending patch is touted by Ubisoft as "the biggest update for Rainbow Six Siege since its launch". It's a gargantuan patch that effectively installs a whole new version of the game that decreases load times and will make future updates smaller in size.

Rainbow Six Siege has had quite an unusual trajectory. It initially launched as a somewhat slim package, receiving lukewarm reviews and an underwhelming player base. But then things turned around, as Ubisoft remained dedicated to providing more content for this tactical shooter.

Just earlier this month Ubisoft boasted that Rainbow Six Siege has 2.3m players logging in each day, with a registered player base of over 20m.

Source: Rainbow Six Siege offers free trial this weekend

HERMAN_JELMET, zoob and IamNumber6 like this.
  4. zoob

zoob I fight for the Users!
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Just checking - are you sure this isn't NA only? Haven't seen anything about it yet on UK blog and was keeping half an eye open for it...

5. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    The article is on Eurogamer with UK timings so I'd assume that it applies everywhere. Checking the Rainbow Six site and their Twitter account, they make no mention of any restrictions. As it's all platforms, they'd hardly restrict PS4 (and XBox) to regions whilst PC got it free everywhere.

The EU PlayStation Blog can be a bit lacking in information at times, there's several occasions that I've seen articles that apply to everyone on the US blog but not the EU one.

zoob likes this.
  6. zoob

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Sweet. I did clock the BST times but wasn't sure if you were being super efficient and awesome as usual. Assuming I'm not too hungover to see, I may well be up for a bit on Sunday as am being left to my own devices this weekend though have a lads day / night out on Saturday.

7. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Unfortunately it's entirely the wrong weekend for us to play (we bought it when it came out), daughter is staying so we'll be doing stuff with her.

8. IamNumber6

IamNumber6 It's not me, it's my brain!

PSN:
    IamNumber6
  9. zoob

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Incidentally I did play and enjoy it during a free weekend before however 2 points:
    - I couldn't see me playing it regularly enough given the fractured nature of gaming these days & trying to get a team together;
    - being completely deaf in one ear means I'm really shit at games like this where locational audio cues are ever so important.

That's my excuse & I'm sticking to it! ;)

10. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    You forgot excuse 3 - just like in Elite when you shoot the wrong ships, in Siege you'd end up shooting the hostages :lol: ;)

HERMAN_JELMET and zoob like this.
  11. zoob

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    LOL. No arguing there! Trigger FTW!

(Though definitely getting a bit better at that now I know to scan!)

12. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    Out today...

Martok likes this.
  13. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    It's just taken me over an hour to re do all of my operator and weapon settings as the new update has reset everything. :/

14. zoob

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
  15. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    zoob and HERMAN_JELMET like this.
  16. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    I can do this any night, let's get a game on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice