The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Question about routers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dmk222, 4 Oct 2012.

1. Dmk222

Dmk222 Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dmk222
    What does everyone do with their routers at night ,do you switch off or do you leave on , reason I ask is because every morning I switch on my router It don't work sometimes ,I've gone through 3 routers in the last year 2 Belkin and at moment I'm on a netgear which I got 2 weeks ago and must it's at least 15% faster when I do speed check

2. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    The only time I turn off my router is when we go on vacation. Besides that it runs 24/7.

3. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    The only time mines off is when it needs a reboot.

4. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Ours is left on 24/7.

Firstly there's less wear just by leaving a machine on (router or otherwise) than by constantly switching them on and off. Secondly it could affect your line speed. A quick Google pulled this up from Plusnet:

Also in our case, we use Internet radio on our alarm clock (Logitech Squeezebox) so need it on to pick up the internet radio signal (if it isn't on, the built-in alarm tune plays instead so we do have a back-up though the tune is annoying).

5. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I leave my router on 24/7

I also leave my NAS and homeplugs on 24/7

These are basically only turned off if we're gonna be away for more than a couple of days.

Belkin routers in my experience are some of the best out there, but when you initially boot them up it can take several hours for them to settle in correctly and have a nice stable line with nice stable wifi (better than netgear from what i've seen).

They consume very little power when left on and the only real reason to turn them off would be to restrict internet access, for example if you've got kids and you don't want them on the internet after bedtime or whatever, but with any half decent router you can set up time restrictions for certain users.

6. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Once a week I will reset or power off for 10mins and power back up. This seems to keep my router running at full speed, Since i got my Virgin media superhub I seem to be loosing speed very often this is why I do the above.

7. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Mines on 24/7. My wife hates things being left on overnight, but the kids use the net long after we're asleep. Besides, I just didnt want any issues with a reboot in the morning and sometimes its best to leave things running.

8. Dmk222

Dmk222 Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dmk222
    Thanks for all your replies everyone I think I'll leave it on permanently unless there's a problem from now on

9. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    Yeah, I always leave mine on 24/7 unless I go away for a few days. The boyfriend always switches things off though and unplugs from the socket as well. Does my head in! Whenever I'm at his I have to wait half an hour for the router to wake up :roll:

10. ChrissPeacock

ChrissPeacock Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ChrissPeacock
    Mine's on 24/7 but via a remote socket ready for the inevitable emergency reboot. The remote means I don't have to leave the comfort of my arm chair and less risk of having to make a cup of tea "as I'm already up"!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice