The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Qapla'!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Martok, 28 Jun 2012.

1. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Success!

I am 45 years old and one of the founders of Senior Gamers, the other being HaloJ who is my partner. We both live in Watford but originate from up North. I have a daughter who I'm actively encouraging to play games. She's a little young to join us yet being only 11 years old next month.

I've been gaming for a long time now. I began on the ZX81 and after that the ZX Spectrum, playing games such as Hungry Horace, Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Lords of Midnight, Monty Mole and Chuckie Egg. The wonders of technology back then - thump sensitive and squashy rubber keyboards, loading games from tape that took 5+ minutes only to fail because the volume on the tape recorder was set just that little bit too high… today's generation don't know how easy they've got it!

I then moved onto console gaming starting with the Intellivision and its cutting edge ‘3D’ graphics. Many hours of fun were had playing games such as Night Stalker, Burger Time, Shark Shark, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, Tron Deadly Discs and Star Strike.

After my Intellivision died I didn’t own a console or computer for a while. Eventually I started playing again on a friend’s Nintendo system and then his PlayStation 1. I was tempted back into gaming and nearly went the PC route but decided to go for the Playstation 1 instead. In the time that I owned it I bought a stack of varied games including Gran Turismo 2, Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation, Hogs of War and many more.

The Playstation 2 was a natural follow-on from this and brought me into the online gaming world. I joined another gaming community and played a variety of shooter, action adventure and driving games. Timesplitters was great fun, Hardware Online Arena was a laugh and of course the excellent Killzone series started here. Die, Helghan scum!

Whilst some went for the 'next gen' XBox, I stuck with the Playstation 2 despite its limitations. Then along came the Playstation 3 and though I initially resisted, I finally succumbed and bought one a few months after it launched. Rainbow 6 Vegas, Modern Warfare 1, Burnout and other titles were purchased and I enjoyed the next generation console and its easy access to friends via PSN. Sadly I had to wait a bit longer to experience it in glorious HD and with surround sound - what a difference it made having those!

Currently I'm regularly playing the following games: Killzone 3, Uncharted 3, Starhawk and Battlefield 3. I also play a variety of titles with my daughter including LittleBigPlanet2, various Lego titles (Lego Pirates will be the next to get) and we've just started Prince of Persia, the first one they made for the PS3. Of course I've played other titles with her when she was younger and whatever Halo says, I wasn't really trophy whoring to get the platinum for EyePet, I did it for her and it wasn't that easy! :lol:

That's enough about me for now and I hope to see some of you online soon. :thumbup:

2. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Jebus you have the EyePet platinum, you are a trophy whore. Well seeing as i play UC3 with you most Tuesdays as well as other games frequently theres nothing much to say. Thanks for all the hard work with the site hope to see more features sooner rather then later. See you on the battle field ;)

3. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    :woot: :rofl:

4. DarthRaiden666

DarthRaiden666 Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Darth_Raiden
    Klingon and a Sith Lord in one place as Allies.

5. ZXstampie

ZXstampie Semi-Regular Gamer

PSN:
    ZXstampie
    No words needed :bow:

6. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
    Hello Martok. Good intro. Leading by example I see :D Hehe Hogs of War. Forgotten about that one. Wasn't that the one voiced by Rik Mayall?

7. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Indeed, if I can't write a vaguely reasonable intro then I can hardly expect others to do one. :) Oh and I don't always set a good example. ;)

Yes is was. A good game in it's time, shame they never made a sequel or remade it in HD.

8. Spruijt

Spruijt Real men wear clogs
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Spruijt
    Great game that was, played it to death. Rik Mayall did do most of the voices. Made me chuckle a lot. :lol:

9. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    What can I say my friend. Love you :D .

10. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    I was curious to see what Qapla'! meant. I knew it would be Klingon because of the feel of the word. Its means "success", which I couldve worked out had I started reading the rest of Martoks post :oops:

Anyway, I think I speak for everyone when I say "mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj".

11. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Um, I don't do stuff like that, its illegal
    :oops: :lol:

12. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Your stinking pet has escaped from its cage and appeared in my quarters.

:lol:

I also like

be'HomDu'na'wIjtIq'a'Du'na'vaD ghureghqangqa'moHlaHqu'be'taH'a' Somraw'a'meyna'wIj'e'.

which means

Is it not that my many, large, scattered muscles are quite capable of swelling for the benefit of the hearts of many scattered girls?

:lol:

13. roger947

roger947 Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    rogerjones947
    How rude of me, i haven't replied to the founder of this site :oops:

I've said it a dozen times already so one more won'y hurt.

Good luck with the SNR's :thumbup:

14. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    I thought you might be able to translate it!! :lol:

15. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    I'm fairly sure he threw it into Google!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice