• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

Push alerts

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Push alerts is a new feature I've added to the forums that is available to Senior Gamers. :D

Push alerts allow you to receive forum alerts directly to your mobile phone, tablet and soon to your PC.

To use this feature, you will need to purchase the Pushover app and set up a Pushover account - more on this later.

Once set up, alerts will be pushed to your devices.

pushover_dropdown_alert.png

Dropdown alert from the Pushover app. Tapping on this will view the individual alert.​

pushover1.png

Overview of all alerts in the Pushover app itself. Tapping on one of the alerts will show that alert.​

pushover2.png

View of one of the alerts. Tapping on View This Content will take you to the specific content (post, video in the gallery, profile post etc).​

Purchasing the Pushover app
The Pushover app is available on Android for £3.03 and iOS for £2.99 (current costs) and soon on the PC. Not the cheapest of apps but it's only a little more than Tapatalk Pro which folk seemed happy to purchase in the past.

Setting up a Pushover account
Visit https://pushover.net/ and set up a free account, then add your mobile devices. Make a note of your User Key, as you'll need this to set up to receive alerts on this site.

Associating your Pushover account on Senior Gamers
Click on your name at the top right of the forums, then click on External Accounts.

upload_2014-4-2_10-31-50.png

On the External Account screen you can associate your Pushover account. (You can also associate your Facebook, Twitter and Google+ accounts too if you wish).

pushover_integration1.png
In the Pushover Settings tab:
  1. Paste in your User Key from your Pushover account.
  2. If you wish, you can choose a device name from your Pushover account, which will send alerts to only that device. Leaving it blank will send to all devices. Note that the app itself has a Sync alert dismissal option meaning that if you dismiss an alert from one device it dismisses it from other devices, so you don't have to dismiss the same alert multiple times.
  3. Choose a notification sound. This can be useful if you use Pushover for other things - for example, I'm receiving alerts from other sites and get a different sound for each one.

pushover_integration2.png

In the Pushover Alert Types tab:
  1. Select which alerts you'd like to receive - all or just specific ones.
  2. Select a priority for each alert - low, normal or high. Low priority alerts do not give any audible notification on your device, just the visual notification. Normal priority alerts give both audible and visual notifications on your device. High priority alerts give both audible and visual notifications on your device, are highlighted in red and will ignore any "Quiet Time" settings in your Pushover account.
  3. Click on Associate with Pushover.
Your account is now associated and you should start receiving alerts.

Note: You will still see the alerts bubble when you visit the forums, so you can still see an overview of all of the alerts that you have had there as well as in the Pushover app.

Enjoy. :D

Last edited:

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
No thanks. I disable all push alerts as they annoy me and I ain't paying for the "pleasure".
Nice idea for those that like that type of thing I suppose.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Many thanks for the efforts @Martok - however I'm in the same camp as @Plaxinator - I prefer forums to Facebook as I can dip in when it suits. Appreciated though!

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
No thanks. I disable all push alerts as they annoy me and I ain't paying for the "pleasure".
Nice idea for those that like that type of thing I suppose.
Many thanks for the efforts @Martok - however I'm in the same camp as @Plaxinator - I prefer forums to Facebook as I can dip in when it suits. Appreciated though!
It is an option for those Seniors who want it, and of course if you don't then you can ignore this. It's just nice to give users various options - push alerts, email notifications, alerts on site only - to suit their varying needs. :)

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've updated the first post as there's now an option to set an alert priority for each type of alert.

Low priority alerts - do not give any audible notification on your device, just the visual notification.
Normal priority alerts - give both audible and visual notifications on your device.
High priority alerts - give both audible and visual notifications on your device, are highlighted in red and will ignore any "Quiet Time" settings in your Pushover account.

So if you like the idea of push alerts but without the annoyance of sounds when you receive them, you can now do so by setting Low Priority to any alerts you receive from here. :)

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It anyone who isn't using this but fancies trying it before buying the Pushover app, there is now a 5-day trial available in the app. See my first post on where to get it and how to set up.

Note that Push Alerts are only available to full members (Seniors) who have Gold and Platinum benefits.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Seniors with Benefits is this like friends with benefits without all the mess at the end

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Push alerts has now been updated. There are 3 main changes:

1. There are now Push alerts for conversations (when someone starts a new conversation, replies to an existing conversation, invites you to a conversation)
  2. Per alert sound setting (have different sounds for different alert types). Note that, as before, you can choose which alerts you want to receive (so if you only want alerts for, say, conversations and if you have been mentioned in a post, you can switch the rest off)
  3. Pushover subscriptions - an easier way to switch on Push alerts
Note that you will need a Pushover client on your device Pushover: Device Clients (Pushover Android APK, Pushover iPhone IPA) and a Pushover account (though you can sign up for this when you subscribe to alerts). The Pushover clients are a few quid/euros but there's a 7 day trial available, so you can try it out for free to see if you find it useful or not.

Note: Currently Push alerts are only available to Gold and Platinum members. However, if people are interested in this then I'll look at making this available to everyone.

Conversations and per alert sound settings
These are the alert types for conversations. As you can see, you can have different sounds for each alert if you wish as well as specifying a priority:

Low priority alerts - do not give any audible notification on your device, just the visual notification.
Normal priority alerts - give both audible and visual notifications on your device.
High priority alerts - give both audible and visual notifications on your device, are highlighted in red and will ignore any "Quiet Time" settings in your Pushover account.

Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 11.18.37.png

Subscribing to Pushover alerts
Here's the new and simpler process to subscribe to Pushover alerts:

Firstly click on your name at the top right of the forums, then click on the External Accounts link.

Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 11.14.59.png

On the External Accounts page, you will see Pushover Integration at the bottom

Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 11.14.17.png

Clicking on the Subscribe to Pushover button will take you to the Senior Gamers initial subscription page on Pushover.

Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 11.15.56.png

If you haven't got a Pushover account, click on the Login or Sign Up button at the top right of the page. If you have one already, just log in. Once logged in, you will see the subscription page for Senior Gamers.

Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 11.16.33.png

Choose the device(s) you want to subscribe with and the Default Sound for alerts (though if you later choose different sounds for certain alerts you'll get the chosen sound instead). Finally, click on the Subscribe Me button.

You will return to the Senior Gamers site and the External Account page you were at.

Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 11.17.11.png

Finally, you can click on the Pushover Alert Types button to configure the alerts you want to receive.

You can at any time change or cancel your Pushover alerts subscription and the Pushover Alert Types that you want to receive by returning to this page.