PS4 PSN Party Chat visibility issues

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Thanks to @Dogstar for highlighting this issue and the contacting Sony for a solution.

Recently there has been an issue with some PSN Party Chats not showing when checking the list of available chats. Some PSN Party Chats just do not appear in the list even though they are set to Public (they definitely aren't private). I have set up public chats and had people comment that they could not see them and I have also experienced this with other party chats (including @Dogstar's).

The solution from Sony is to do the following:

1. Power off your PS4
  2. Press and hold the PS4 power button for around 5 seconds - you will hear a beep when you first press it, then a second beep after around 5 seconds. Then stop pressing the button.
  3. Follow the instructions on screen to plug in via USB a controller and switch it on.
  4. On the Safe Mode screen, choose option 4, "Restore Default Settings". This will restore the PS4 system to the default factory settings. Restoring Default Settings will not delete the saved data on your hard drive (games, save data, screenshots etc.) but will remove all of the settings applied to the system.
Your PS4 will restart, after which you will need to set a few default settings such as language, timezone, data collection and settings for when the PS4 goes into Rest Mode. You will also need to log in again to PSN.

Once this is done, that is it and it will (according to Sony) supposedly sort out the Party Chat issue.

More details about Safe Mode can be found here:

PS4 Safe Mode
PS4: Troubleshooting Issues Using Safe Mode

I'm guessing that it will only sort out the issue that your Party Chats are (sometimes) not visible to others, so I'd assume that everyone should do this.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It's also worthwhile using Safe Mode to rebuild your system database on occasion - it's similar to defragging and can free up some space on your HDD.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well it appears that this "Restore Default Settings" hasn't resolved the issue. The problem of Party Chats not being visible still occurs even with people who have done this.

Interestingly, party chats that aren't visible in the Party Chat list are visible if you visit the profile of someone who is in the party chat.

I have phoned Sony and reported this in great detail. We'll see if they get back to me and do anything about this situation.

So for now if you can't see a party chat that you are expecting/think might be up, check the profile of someone who you think would be in the party chat and, if they are, you can join it from there. Or of course message them to ask if there's a party chat up. :)