PS4 PS4 will not support current bluetooth headsets for chat

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
PlayStation 4 will not support current-gen bluetooth headsets for chat, and will require a post-launch patch for USB-based headsets to be compatible.

Sony has confirmed that its own PULSE headsets will also require a post-launch system update before they can be used at all - not just specifically for chat.

The company clarified with Game Informer that current-gen bluetooth headsets will not be compatible with PS4, while any USB-based headset will only work following a system update.

PS4 will come bundled with a mono headset.

The news follows similar headset compatibility issues with the Xbox One. The console will accept current third party headsets but will require the use of an adapter due to new proprietary data ports.

PS4 will release November 15 in the US and November 29 in Europe and Australia.

PS4 lead designer Tetsu Sumii said yesterday he hoped the new console design will usher in not just a new generation but a change of brand image for PlayStation.

Source: CVG

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That sucks!

I wonder why they can't make bluetooth headsets work, especially their own ones? What has changed on the new system? Personally I prefer a bluetooth headset to one with a wire dangling off somewhere.

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
More info on this...

First up, you get a free headset with the PS4 that works just fine so no pouting. However, it does appear PS4 won’t support Bluetooth or USB headsets at launch. It will eventually, but there’s an unspecified window on the timing from Sony.

PS4 won’t support Bluetooth or USB headsets at launch
Work from various Sony reps is that support for other headsets will arrive after launch but there’s no date as yet. It sounds like it might be something to do with the mic judging from the tweet below. Most likely the first firmware update is going to be a doozy with PS4 HDMI capture also promised at some point once the machine’s out.

Source: Official Playstation Magazine

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
So i'm not gonna be able to use my lovely USB surround headset? Sucks.

I don't even have surround setup in my living room at the moment...guess it's a good excuse to fix that.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@ColSonders can we not use the xbox cable that came with the Sharkoons, Is that not a 3.5mm jack?

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@ColSonders can we not use the xbox cable that came with the Sharkoons, Is that not a 3.5mm jack?
I had thought about that, but I stripped that cable ages ago so no longer have it.

However, I have no children at home any more so no real excuse to not have my AMP blasting nice and loud....unless I gave a shit about my neighbours....but I don't :D

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
All we'll need is a 3.5mm jack lead to go from the controller to the volume control on the headset lead, Should work exactly how it does on the 360 :)

marke46320d

Casual Gamer
Reaction score
What do you guys reckon about Tritton AX Pro's. Sound hoes through optical input but USB for mic?

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Oh well never mind. At least its coming I suppose. Wont be too bad as at least the mono will never need charging. I also hear that you can direct all gameplay sounds to the mono headset too.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
What do you guys reckon about Tritton AX Pro's. Sound hoes through optical input but USB for mic?
A few of us here have the Sharkoon X-Tatic digitals....which are exactly the same under the hood as the Tritton AX Pro's.....top notch headset mate :1thumbup:

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Will still try setting up my Sharkoons on day one if it doesn't work I'll just try a few things lol

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Your toys I bet lol