• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 PS4 uPnP issues

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Got the same problem too. It seems Warframe net settings are very particular and picky. I have the same trouble joining Martok and Halo, yet the others no problems. Even weirder is the fact I cant connect or talk to them consistently, and it seems to randomly not work.
@Slaine as we have already said, this is a uPnP issue - it needs to be turned on on your router and working correctly. Because @HaloJ and I play on the same connection, uPnP has to work for you to play when we're both on. It'll be the same with @DrewePeacock and @NitaNitro5 - you'll have issues playing with both of them. It's not just Warframe that you're having issues with, the same happened on Killzone if you recall and no doubt it'll happen with BF4 too.

@Sportsvee had problems but these have been resolved by him replacing his router. So you'll have to either get uPnP working properly on your router or get a replacement, or accept that there will continue to be problems playing with any couples who play on the same connection.

Oh and for the record, we've changed our router as we were having problems with @DrewePeacock and @NitaNitro5 and these have been resolved.

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Sportsvee had problems but these have been resolved by him replacing his router. So you'll have to either get uPnP working properly on your router or get a replacement, or accept that there will continue to be problems playing with any couples who play on the same connection.
I had uPnP on and all my settings were correct as per checks by someone who knew what he was doing but still no joy.
So if uPnP is turned on and your still having issues, the problem is your router. Mine was the standed issue ISP one that sucked.

Join the the Warframe side and get a new rooter :hi:

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I had uPnP on and all my settings were correct as per checks by someone who knew what he was doing but still no joy.
So if uPnP is turned on and your still having issues, the problem is your router. Mine was the standed issue ISP one that sucked.

Join the the Warframe side and get a new rooter :hi:
Indeed, I didn't go into detail but there can be incompatible implementations of uPnP that don't work as they should. It sound like @Slaine has a router with incompatible uPnP or it's switched off/doesn't come with it.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Martok Ive just checked my router settings and it says Upnp enabled. Ive also stuck my PS4 in the DMZ and forwarded a couple of ports too.

Reading the Warframe forums, there does seem to be some connection issues for PS4 users. This was posted at 16:17 on Friday....

"Since the latest update (Dex Furis) I constantly run into failed to join session issues with people I used to play with all the time. After trying like 10 times... restarting the game/PS4 and a couple freezes it finally works and than it's fine for the rest of the night. Than next day... same issue again.

Even worse is when I join the starting screen (Countdown Timer) of an ODD or Towermission with my friend and than I get kicked just when the timer hits zero. After that "unable to join" "failed to join session". Key wasted. Great! "

And the reply was.... "The problem may be related to delays or connection issues when attempting to contact the PSN network. We are already aware of theproblem and have submitted a fix for this issue to Sony. As soon as it is approved, the hotfix will be released and the issue should be solved."

Im loathe to buy a new router TBH, until Im 100% satisfied that the problem is totally at my end. As for the issues with Killzone, I put it down to it just being shit upon release. The whole online game was riddled with bugs and had so many issues. Havent played it since, so I've no idea if the patches have worked or not. I have actually played BF4 with you and Halo, so no issues there. I had a quick game with Herman and then Ace yesterday with no problems at all. And this is what makes me skeptical that the problem is with my router. You might be right, but I dont want to any money finding out the hard way.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
.......addl.......

Thats the other thing. My son has over 100 friends on his 360/Xbone, and has had no connectivity issues whatsoever. Nothing. Nada.

Theres a good report here on ps4 connectivity issues, in particular upnp....

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/02/08/possible-ps4-firmware-upnp-bug-and-workaround/

But if you go here.....
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/nw_test.html
It lists an additional 3 ports that I hadnt even forwarded. Ive done it now, so we'll see next time we're all on if the bugger works.

Last edited:

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
.......addl.......

Thats the other thing. My son has over 100 friends on his 360/Xbone, and has had no connectivity issues whatsoever. Nothing. Nada.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/02/08/possible-ps4-firmware-upnp-bug-and-workaround/
Does your friend play with friends who share the same connection? I think probably not.

You have played with played with @HaloJ and I individually with no issues i.e. when only one of us is on. It's when we're both on that there's an issue.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Does your friend play with friends who share the same connection? I think probably not.
Just checked it with him, and he actually does have two friends he plays with that house share.

See what I mean.:shock::brick::crazy:

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
.......addl.......

But if you go here.....
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/gb/ps4/settings/nw_test.html
It lists an additional 3 ports that I hadnt even forwarded. Ive done it now, so we'll see next time we're all on if the bugger works.
Putting a PS4 into the DMZ should have the same affect as forwarding EVERY port to the PS4. Not every router handles uPNP the same even though it's a "standard."

We (myself & @Martok ) have no issues playing on-line together unlike the person in the post,

Your son plays on an Xbox not a PS4. The PS4 implementation of uPNP may indeed be fussy but a router replacement will rectify this as it did with us and the problems we we're having with DreweP/Nita.

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
X-bone is free and loose so no problems with access to every port :silent:
I tried forwarding all the relevant ports as a post said and that still didn't resolve my issues (the game ones).

The problems don't seem to affect BF4 as I have had no problems there in the past so there's no consistency with the problem.

Is there someone you could borrow a Rooter from (as @HaloJ calls it) just to test @Slaine?

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Nice idea @Sportsvee but I'm going to see if the 4 additional ports I've opened work. If not, then I might leave it. The PlayStation has always been a pain for internet woes since the ps2.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I had connection problems to warframe to start with and some BF4 comms problems with the ps4 saying I had an overly strict NAT. I did port forwarding and my router and ps4 was telling me i had UPNP enabled.

I changed ISP and got a new router and plonked the ps4 in the DMZ and it seems to have solved my issues. Although yesterday I had a few issues with warframe saying I was not connected, it seemed to resolve itself after a while, so I suspect there is some inherent problems with warframe anyway.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yes, Warframe is rubbish. I have deleted it as it wasn't downloading a required update and had therefore disabled network features on the game. Not worth the hassle.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yes, Warframe is rubbish. I have deleted it as it wasn't downloading a required update and had therefore disabled network features on the game. Not worth the hassle.
I had that same issue....deleted the failing file from my download list and tried to run the game again, this triggered the download to start again and it worked.

And then I still haven't played the game.