PS4 PS4 to be released this year

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Now I know this might not seem like news to many, but bear in mind Sonys history in releasing in Europe has, and being diplomatic here, been a bit tardy. Theres a big full page advert in the Metro today from Sony stating PS4 to be released in 2013. They always said theyd try, and theyve committed themselves a little bit further with this advert.

Obviously nothing stops them from changing this, as these things are always subject to change, but its a step in the right direction all the same.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Sex wee alert :D

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That's very big news imo and it's going to make the next gen race a whole lot more interesting in the PAL territories now.

We've got two very similarly specced systems, currently unconfirmed on which has the most pixel pushing power, but it's likely to be as negligible as the difference between PS3 and 360....cross platform games will likely be identical, with exclusives on either system looking better generally than cross platform.

It looks like there'll be no real difference in release dates.

Neither company has managed to work in anything exclusive yet (and I don't mean you can masturbate over your DLC 2 days earlier on one system, that doesn't count).

I think this puts the PS4 in a much better position for gamers, with the xbox1 looking set to appeal more to casual gamers.

The price point could well be the decider on which system gets the biggest foothold in the market, though i'm seeing a lot of people unhappy about forced webcam integration but I think E3 is gonna be huge this year.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The price point could well be the decider on which system gets the biggest foothold in the market, though i'm seeing a lot of people unhappy about forced webcam integration but I think E3 is gonna be huge this year.
Yeah Ive read this. Apparently the One will be collecting data anonymously and sending it back to Microsoft. And by data, I mean all voice and visual information. Theyve gone on record to say you can choose not to participate, but of course people are mistrustful.

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
E3 is going to be great this year. Roll on the Playstation event.

With the money Microsoft are going to be throwing around I think the American market is the main one for them.

Dogstar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
At the risk of being proved incredibly naive (it wouldn't be a first) I am really expecting PS4 to launch in Europe this year.

From all the evidence to date Sony seem to have demonstrated they have taken the PS3 criticism (loading times, patching etc) on the chin and addressed it head on. Fair play.

Secondly, the PS4 Architecture uses mostly bespoke components. They don't have to fabricate CELL chips in their own factory etc. This and the Blu ray drive was what delayed PS3. This should mean it is cheaper and also much easier to put together. The only exotic element is the GDDR5 RAM and I hope Sony are sufficiently confident in this gamble!

Let's face it Europe is a much bigger market now and I'm sure Sony will want to maintain their dominance here. It looks like PS3 will also lag behind 360 in America.

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Lol - if only that was a legit advert from Sony.
Out of all the ones i've seen today it's still the best one. Would have been great to see it all over the Champion League coverage tonight.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My pre-order on ShopTo, the price now reads TBC as opposed to the £399 previously. Not looked but no idea on rumours for the Eggbox One....

TalllPaul

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The biggest fear I have at the moment is whether it will be released in the rest of Europe the same time. Will they have enough consoles for worldwide release? Will there be some sort of "delay" for the rest of Europe with a UK, US and Japan release? It is surprising the lack of "coming 2013" I see in Spain, none so far :(

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I did read an article somewhere that why bother supporting Japan so much in the first instance as it is a given that the PS4 will succeed there anyway. America is fierce Xbox country, and its only Europe that remains so on the fence. And as the largest market of the 3 territories, Sony have allegedly earmarked Europe for PS4 conquest first & foremost. Brave words I know, and only time will tell on how true this will turn out to be or if its a load of Billy from the House Of Sony.