• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 + DMZ

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Does It need doing or Is It not needed like it was for the PS3?

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That depends on your router and setup. If your router has uPnP and it is enabled then you should be fine. Do check your NAT type on your PS4 though to ensure it is NAT Type 2

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I had to. As well as forward a couple of ports too. Try out Warframe. If your connection works for that it'll work for anything. Plus it has the added bonus of being pretty damn good too. But best of all it will tell you what the problem is and what to do too.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well warframe tells me I have NAT problems and I have occasional comms problems, ps4 tells me I have NAT probs when I join chat and chat does not work, I leave room and return and everything is fine. Other than this chat problem everything works fine. I have NAT 2 and upnp is enabled on the router. I have tried port forwarding and it have not got it to work and my router does not have a DMZ. Annoyingly my ISP which had great support has been sold to Sky who will only help me if I buy a new router from them for seventy quid. When my system mostly works perfectly I am loathe to change stuff and spend money.

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Last battlefield game I played I couldnt hear Sportsvee as he was the host, could hear Col, Plax, Halo etc fine... Again PS4 advised me that there was NAT issues when i joined. I may play with DMZ settings with my BT router to see if that fixes it.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have regular issues with BF4 if my PS4 isn't DMZ'd on my router, even though my router uses UPnP and the PS4 returns NAT Type 2.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Did It anyway, Just In case like.

I have a third party custom firmware installed on my router so I can have more than a couple of things In the DMZ at the same time, currently 4, 2 PS3's an Xbox and a PS4.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just as an update to my situastion, I contacted Sky about their billing, they charged me 33 quid rathger than the 15 quid or so they should, anyway after a debate with the guy online they agreed to send me a new skyhub router free of charge which they can support, only it turns out they dont support opening the ports, so I could still have the same problems. Anyway I got annoyed with them and they are sending me my MAC code, can anyone suggest a decent broadband provider. Currently looking at plusnet, they charge £5.99 for their router and the guy says they can support opening the ports, however £5.99 seems cheap for a router and I wonder what I might end up with.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I always buy my own routers. I have a Billion BiPAC 7800N at the moment. I'm with Talk Talk. They have a bad rep and phoning them is as effective as using a chocolate teapot, but their online support is excellent. They have their own support forum. I have always had my problems resolved through that to my satisfaction.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Im with BT. Certainly not the cheapest, but very reliable. Their standard routers are cheap and nasty, so I too having buying my own for a while now.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm with BT too. Their BT Home Hub is a bit crap but we've not had any problems with the PS3 or PS4.

Hondavee4

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
With bt too, got me own netgear router, don't think I've had any ps3/4 issues really

All plain sailing...

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It turns out that my third party firmware doesn't have the DMZ bit, but I can install a couple of script's to put one into the interface, sadly I'm not that clever.
The first thing I did when connecting my PS4 to the Internet was give it a static IP, It was that IP address that gave me 4 days of rubbish gaming until I changed It.

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It turns out that my third party firmware doesn't have the DMZ bit, but I can install a couple of script's to put one into the interface, sadly I'm not that clever.
The first thing I did when connecting my PS4 to the Internet was give it a static IP, It was that IP address that gave me 4 days of rubbish gaming until I changed It.
Well there you go, if it ain't broke...