PS4 PS4 digital library lets you play your games anywhere on any PS4

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score

Official Playstation Magazine said:
Sony has spoken about accessing your PS4 games on any machine, and how PlayStation 4′s ability to ‘play as you download’ makes, “a digital [game] library a practical option in the real world”.
PS4′s digital library lets you play games anywhere

Speaking at Develop, Neil Brown, Sony’s R&D senior team leader, outlined the process that lets you access your games on other machines at other people’s houses:
You can visit your friends house you can log into your account and play any game from your digital library, which is good. But how useful is that if it takes half a day to download the game you want to play? With Play As You Download you get much quicker access to at least the first section of the game so you can start playing quicker. So this makes a digital library a practical option in the real world.”
He also explained more about how the same system means you’ll never have to wait for games to install. Instead you can play instantly but still benefit from the faster loading and streaming from PS4′s hard drive thanks to more background processes:
A similar system also works on Blu-ray, chunks are automatically copied to the hard drive in the background. This means that after the first few minutes your game can rely on having faster read speeds from the hard drive. Which provides a better experience for players, and this is a completely background process for the player. They don’t have to wait for anything to install before playing the game. The game will launch as soon as the disk has been put in the drive.”
Cool eh? This was the only half decent thing to come out of the Xbox One DRM announcement, which theyve since cut it out. Now Sony have announced this.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
So it's the same as one of the xbone things which was a good idea. Just without all the restrictions and complications. Would like more info on it, Microsoft needed you to be on the friend is for an set amount of time before being able to do this I think. Only time will tell but this sounds great all the same. Will be spending more time at @Acegadgets if he gets a ps4 as his man cave is a safe haven from partners lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Couldn't you always do this on PS3? If you log in on your account on any machine anywhere you can download your digital content and play.

How is this news? Because xbox 360 doesn't have this? (I really don't actually know the answer to that) And because they've cut this feature from xbox 180?

They should go into more depth about the changes between PS3 and PS4 here. On PS3 you can download content on one account and play that same content on another account on the same machine, a few early games such as Warhawk would register the game against the second account and lock the first one, but I don't think any games do that these days. The caveat is that you can only have your PSN account attached to a limited number of devices, used to be 3, then 5, think it's currently 10.

Bertiepops

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm with Col on this one. I have three accounts on my PS3, all of which have digital purchases, and all of which Col also has access to on his own machine. This doesn't, on the surface, seem to be anything new...

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Its the downloading tech thats new and exciting. Makes it more of a viable proposition when using someone elses console. Imagine all crashing round Martoks and using his PS4 with very little waiting involved

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Has anyone actually tried this yet to see how it handles on a real life connection? I know they've already implemented this for some of the games available as digital downloads. I'm sceptical that it's going to be the all singing all dancing feature that we all want it to be, purely because downloading stuff off PSN seems to take a bloody age for the file size.

I know i've touched on this before and mentioned that it's a throttling system that's in place to stop your connection being capped out but it does seem more excessive than other systems, I just wonder if this play as you download feature is gonna work well on slower connections.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
It's currently listed to three individual ps3's isn't it? So Bert and Col could put it on one more machine without a problem, unless one of there machines goes bye bye.

The connection capping should be stopped on the PS4 as it will be a paid service and shouldn't really be capped. In the videos I have seen they had to wait for the full part to download so if you wanted to play multiplayer you download and install that first but it has to fully finish to play it.

I'm waiting to see if our ps3 and psn games will all work over this gaikia thing so my ps+ freebies and saves can be played on my ps4 so I can Sell trade or gift my ps3.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It's currently listed to three individual ps3's isn't it? So Bert and Col could put it on one more machine without a problem, unless one of there machines goes bye bye.
Originally 3 yes...then they upped that to 5, then 10.

I have owned three individual PS3's myself, my account and all of it's content has been on all three, likewise I have a US account that is shared with Bertiepops that we have used for Rock Band content (we have the US versions of those games, thus need the US DLC), again that account was on all three of my machines.

Those same accounts are both on Berties PS3 and i've also had my account registered on 2 other PS3's at my friends house in Scotland, wasn't account sharing on that one but installed my account to play whilst visiting.

So i've had my account on 6 different machines with zero problems.

The connection capping should be stopped on the PS4 as it will be a paid service and shouldn't really be capped. In the videos I have seen they had to wait for the full part to download so if you wanted to play multiplayer you download and install that first but it has to fully finish to play it.
Connection capping will always be there to some degree, it is on all devices/services, there's barely anything that can actually fully cap your line and when that does happen (which if you know how to you can force) you'll find your router gives up on you. The difference being that on PS3 it seems to be more harsh than on other services, but I download on my PS3 faster than many internet connections could cater for, so it does scale with your line.

I'm waiting to see if our ps3 and psn games will all work over this gaikia thing so my ps+ freebies and saves can be played on my ps4 so I can Sell trade or gift my ps3.
I'm quite interested in this too, from what I gather this isn't going to be available at launch...though I suspect they'll push for something available very soon afterwards if not on launch. From what i've read on this they will be concentrating on the more popular PS3 games first, so I'd guess most of the PS+ games will be among the earlier games to be supported and they'll add more of the popular titles as they see fit. Still no word on how ownership will be verified, whether they'll be using the PS3 disc in the drive as an indication of ownership or purely going on PSN downloads.

Probably of no earthly use to me though as there's only Rock Band 3 that i'll want to play on the PS3 once I get my PS4...and the DLC is on my US account so i'd likely have to use my US account to play the game and start my save from scratch on that account.....i'll just keep one of my PS3's thanks, far easier.