PS4 PS4 continually records the last 15 minutes of gameplay

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
PlayStation team reiterates initial message following contradictory claims

PlayStation 4 will continually record 15 minutes of gameplay data in the background for users to capture and publish online, a spokesperson for the company has confirmed to CVG.

Confusion surrounding the length of the recording process arose when Neil Brown, head of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe's R&D group, said earlier this month that PS4 uses a dedicated hardware encoder to continually record the last "several minutes" of gameplay footage.

This claim was misheard and led to some reports suggesting PS4 captures "seven" minutes of gameplay data, while other articles claimed the console records "several minutes". But on Monday a spokesperson for Sony Computer Entertainment Europe told CVG PS4 will continually record 15 minutes of gameplay data, as initially reported.

Recorded PS4 data can be brought up using the DualShock 4's Share Button, allowing player to edit and crop footage and share it across the PlayStation Network via Ustream.

Source: CVG

So basically it automatically records three times as much as the XBone does.

Last edited:

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The clincher in this feature across the consoles (aside from the frame hit the 180 games will be forced to take for the software mimicking of this feature) will be which has the best publishing/editing service.

Many casual gamers will be chuffed with some basic editing abilities and the ability to upload, which is fair enough. But those of us who want to do a little more with our videos and add music, titles, credit, transitions and effects as well as some groovy editing that simply can't be done with the built in editing features will really want the ability to download the file to a computer to manipulate.

I'm fairly sure I won't be able to match the sort of stuff I can do with my mac when using the built in editing features.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
All I want is the ability to record and share videos for the sole purpose of gloating. Im sure I read somewhere that you can add narration and titles, as well as a few special effects.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If they can match the basic OS movie editing solution of iMovie and Windows Movie Maker i'll be very happy, but I suspect it'll be more along the lines of youtube editing which isn't really any good for anything.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I'm with @Slaine I just wanna share a video when I do something absolutely stupid or chuffing great lol I'm hoping the share button will save the recorded video until the end of the game so you can edit after at the menu because doing it on the fly will be a a little rushed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
How does this work when you are online and in the middle of a game? Do you hit the share button and edit the footage later, or do you have to edit ingame while you're standing in the middle of the battlefield like a zombie until you're finished?

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You hit the share button and it puts aside the last 15 mins of game play for you to amend at your leisure. And it looks like you can post up on the dynamic menu screen for all your friends to enjoy straight on the Playstation 4. Cool eh?

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Wow. It seems they really thought this through. Unlike some other company ;)

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
This is the first time Sony has listened to the customers and developers in a long time and I truly hope they have got it spot on this time around I love my ps3 but the menu and lack of voip is a huge let down and the fact xbl is far superior is probably the reason M$ have so many fan boys

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how they implement this, they obviously have the capacity to record the screen at all times since it automatically records the last 15 minutes on a loop as standard.

We know that hitting that Share button basically captures the last 15 minutes as a video to upload later (or now if you're playing offline).

But I wonder if a short press of "Share" captures that last 15 minutes as a video whilst a long press of "Share" starts recording including the last 15 minutes and allows you to capture the rest of your gaming session, that would be pretty awesome.

I still can't see me using any editing features, but i'd hope for at least a trimming function so that just the part of the video showing the important bit can be uploaded rather than a full 15 minutes of video with 3 seconds of awesome in there somewhere.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think they're still deciding on policy, with regards to the clip sizes. I know you can trim it down, but to how small the article didnt say

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If you can trim then I'd guess you can chop it down to a second, possibly even further than that but i'd say 1 second increments at worst would be the trim value.

I'll be exporting and trimming using Quicktime....it's the one of the few things that Quicktime does astoundingly well. That and adding clips together to make one long movie file without hours of re-encoding the thing....QT does it in seconds, ready to slap into iMovie.

It would be nice if they have comms saved to it's own soundstream too, saving a right faff on of syncing sound back up and granting the ability to drop comms off if some twat (yes me) is talking during your outstanding gameplay that you want to publish.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
F - Fantastic
U - Unique
G - Gorgeous
L - Lovable
Y - Youthful

See spelt fugly right this time :D

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Some more information has just come out regarding this on nowgamer.com...

It has previously been suggested that the PS4's gameplay capture feature will be limited to 15 minutes.
However, according to an anonymous commenter on Kotaku, writing under the alias Dagson, that will not be the case.
"It's actually NOT capped at 15 minutes," states Dagson. "The 15 minute thing is that before you even hit record, the PS4 keeps the last 15 minutes of gameplay recorded in case you do something unexpected."
According to the commenter, "while actively recording/streaming, you're virtually unlimited."
Allegedly, "the PS4 allows you to upload the videos to your PSN profile, or save them to the hard drive where they can be exported and brought into something like Premiere or Final Cut. You aren't limited to the included editing software or anything."
When asked how they was able to come by this knowledge, Dagson stated that they were unable to say, but that "we are a studio with two unannounced multi-platform next-gen titles in development."
Personally, I think that is excellent news if it turns out to be true!

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That's actually exactly how I expected it to work.

It's PVR functionality so it constantly has the last 15 minutes of footage recorded.

I assumed that a quick press of the Share button would save that 15 minute slot permanently to your HDD for doing something with later. A long press would start recording a session from the point you press the button until you tell it to stop or it runs out of HDD space.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
That's actually exactly how I expected it to work.

It's PVR functionality so it constantly has the last 15 minutes of footage recorded.

I assumed that a quick press of the Share button would save that 15 minute slot permanently to your HDD for doing something with later. A long press would start recording a session from the point you press the button until you tell it to stop or it runs out of HDD space.
This does sound very feasible, and if it's true I can see hdd accidentally filling up daily on release lol

All we need now is the ability to send the videos to pc for editing or straight to youtube.

I can see MS and Sony both putting out Editing software of course at a price. My Sony Vegas PS4 edition ;)

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I wouldn't be at all surprised if both new systems have very good editing features, looking at the companies involved. Microsoft have Windows Movie Maker, which they have cut features out of over the years in an attempt to make it more idiot friendly, it's probably at a very usable state for controllers these days so it's fully plausible we could get a very good video editing app.

Same obviously applies to Sony with Sony Vegas, not used that one myself but i'm sure it's equally as usable.

I'm sure that a developer has confirmed that the PS4 has the ability to get those files to PC. I would guess that the 180 will have some proprietary crap so you can't use the file outside of Windows...but to be honest, **** 'em.