PS4 PS4 compatible with PS3 headsets, says Sony rep

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Old Bluetooth devices apparently able to interface with new console

The new PlayStation 4 will allegedly be able to connect to wireless headsets designed for the PS3.

That's according to a 'Sony official' speaking to Polygon at the San Diego Comic Con this week.

Sony will include a basic mono earpiece and microphone with every PS4(pictured above) but, if accurate, the rep's claim means PS4 owners will have the option of using the slicker PS3 wireless headset instead.

PS4's compatibility with PS3 headsets was not a given, considering the PS4's inability to use PS3 DualShock 3 controllers for reasons undisclosed.

Xbox One owners will not able to use Xbox 360 headsets with the new console, owing to the Xbox One's use of a new proprietary headset connector port.

And Microsoft has confirmed that it will not include a new Xbox One headset with the console, arguing that that the microphone-equipped Kinect sensor found in every box will serve as a sufficient stand-in for multiplayer voice communication.

Source: CVG

I thought this might be the case but it's good to have it confirmed.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Bluetooth is still bluetooth, Typical of MS to change the headphone socket though.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm more interested in if I can use my USB headset with the PS4.

If not though I hope I can pick up a decent headset pretty sharp after release for a decent price...none of this £150 for some wanky headset that won't last me through a gaming session without requiring a recharge of the batteries bullshit....Give me a good quality wired headset (without or without pretendy surround sound) for £40 or so and i'll be a happy man

Bertiepops

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Shroud, that is some serious Hardware, but I couldn't justify spending that much on a Headset, so I ended up going with a Turtle Beach P11, mainly on Col's recommendation (Cheap and more than sufficient for my limited Online usage). Like Col, I'm kinda hoping that the USB compatability is there, otherwise I will be looking for a new Headset too.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
My Sharkoons had better work or else someone's getting slapped

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
They were a Christmas present from Lady Shroud. Love that woman so much ;).