• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers formed in 2012. We started as PlayStation gamers but now we are fully multi-platform with members also playing on PC, Xbox, Switch and other platforms.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 PS4 boss Jim Ryan 2015 interview

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
We've learnt an awful lot from the Driveclub experience

The Metro has published an interview between GamesCentral and Jim Ryan, the boss of PlayStation in Europe.

GameCentral started off the interview with this:

So… last year was such a terrible year for video games it made me genuinely worried about the future of the industry. There are three main areas I’d like to discuss in detail though: a lack of both quality and quantity in the games released, GamerGate, and the industry apathy over whether new games actually work or not.
They then went on to raise these points:

Well, let’s drill down to those three main points. The most straightforward perhaps is simply the fact that video games don’t work anymore, and nobody seems to care. And that’s a completely non-partisian point where the prime examples are Driveclub, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Battlefield 4, and Assassin’s Creed Unity.
The problem is you could see it becoming an industry standard just in those few months: release broken game, refuse to admit game is broken, admit problems and promise to fix them, fail to fix problems in timely manner, offer free DLC to make up for it. I believe you when you say people were working on Driveclub 24/7 and that they were upset, but how could Sony not have seen these problems coming? For Driveclub and the other games.
The article it too long to post here, so do take a look at it here:

PS4 boss Jim Ryan 2015 interview

Thanks to @WetPaintGaming for the heads-up on this. :)

So what do you think of Jim Ryan's responses? Are you satisfied with what he has said, or are we being fobbed off again?

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I hope the ps4 becomes as popular as analysts predict. If the sales do match the ps2 sales as they say, then it could reinvigorate the market again. People will invest in AAA gaming again. This is why both Sony and Microsoft are wooing the Indies. The amount of indie games has increased ten fold, whilst the amount of AAA games has fell off the radar. Used to be I could never decide between the games being released. Now we get one or two releases a month, which is no choice at all.
I know developing is very high risk, but theres clearly market capacity.
Thank god for Rime, No Mans Sky etc!!

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I wouldn't entirely agree that developing is high risk, developing a crap / broken game yeah. End of the day if you make a good game that works as it should it will sell.

How hard can it be?

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Apparently very hard, hence why so many developers, and publishers, have shut up shop.
I dont mind new releases with a few bugs, but BF4 is taking the piss. Its been ages now. I played it the other day and the server browser said all the games were empty!
But you cant blame developers for rushing releases. The longer it takes to make the more copies they need to sell to recoup their losses.
I read somewhere about Driveclub where they argued its impossible to stress test server loads, as you can never have enough beta testers which would mirror a live environment. I'd agree with this sentiment, but you've got to wonder how they got it so wrong, and not just a little off.

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
JR: [laughs] shouldn't this be JR: [Evil laugh] or JR: [Maniacal laugh]

The more I read, the more I dislike this guy

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
That's a good read.

It's clear that things are being taken on board, although it's also clear that they're not forcing as many standards on developers and publishers as many of us would like to be, which is a shame.

But we can hope that Sony will start pumping out high quality AAA titles that work on day one with minimal patching and show what the PS4 is capable of...showing up the other publishers and hopefully setting a trend that others start following.

As consumers though we need to start directing the industry with our wallets....I personally buy very few titles now compared to say five years ago....but all the ones I buy (two for PS4) these days are still broken on launch.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The basic question of the next gen so far is, where are the games?, the answer unfortunately seems to be they are either in the garage being repaired, to be released at some distant unspecified time or they are too expensive to make, which makes the console somewhat redundant.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm totally ganting on a PS4 but again there really hasn't been anything truly next gen yet. I'm positive this will change soon but Watch_dogs, Driveclub & The Order don't appear to have delivered in full so the next big hope is The Division.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to play Diablo 3, Far Cry 4 & Driveclub on the PS4 but the first 2 play just fine on the humble ps3.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The basic question of the next gen so far is, where are the games?, the answer unfortunately seems to be they are either in the garage being repaired, to be released at some distant unspecified time or they are too expensive to make, which makes the console somewhat redundant.
Similar to the Vita. Though the main decider for that was to use in conjuction with the PS4! :)

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Things are far worse on the Xbone front. Aside from Halo 5 theres nothing exclusive. And they havent been courting the indies as much as they should have either, hence the lack of mini titles coming up.
May be the initial rumours are true and everyone really thinks console gaming is dead, hence the lack of investment on all fronts. Still Sony have promised big investment since their mobile and tv divisions have failed so badly.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm hoping the nay sayers are wrong.

There looks to be a bit of a backlash rising to the "free to play" or more accurately "free to start" gaming & i personally have little interest in farming or major grinding as my time is limited, therefore am happy to invest in good AAA titles.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I personally hate the current trend of micro transactions in games, that wont change as long as people are still paying to win. Im even reluctant to buy DLC cause I feel that the majority of the time what you get should have been in the game from the start.

I must say that (so far) I have been impressed by Blizzard and there on-going support of Diablo 3, There have been quite a few additions added to the game, new areas/mobs/character class/rifts/improved "ancient legendary" items, and ALL of it has been totally free.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Totally agreed @mick