Multi PS4 and X720 Specs revealed

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Over the last couple of days, specs for the forthcoming X720 and PS4 have been revealed/leaked. None of this is confirmed as the final specification but seems to come from specs leaked about dev kit that has gone to developers.

Firstly the X720:

http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-durango-unveiled-2

CPU:

- x64 Architecture

- 8 CPU cores running at 1.6 gigahertz (GHz)

- each CPU thread has its own 32 KB L1 instruction cache and 32 KB L1 data cache

- each module of four CPU cores has a 2 MB L2 cache resulting in a total of 4 MB of L2 cache

- each core has one fully independent hardware thread with no shared execution resources

- each hardware thread can issue two instructions per clock

GPU:

- custom D3D11.1 class 800-MHz graphics processor

- 12 shader cores providing a total of 768 threads

- each thread can perform one scalar multiplication and addition operation (MADD) per clock cycle

- at peak performance, the GPU can effectively issue 1.2 trillion floating-point operations per second

High-fidelity Natural User Interface (NUI) sensor is always present

Storage and Memory:

- 8 gigabyte (GB) of RAM DDR3 (68 GB/s)

- 32 MB of fast embedded SRAM (ESRAM) (102 GB/s)

- from the GPU’s perspective the bandwidths of system memory and ESRAM are parallel providing combined peak bandwidth of 170 GB/sec.

- Hard drive is always present

- 50 GB 6x Blu-ray Disc drive

Networking:

- Gigabit Ethernet

- Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct

Hardware Accelerators:

- Move engines

- Image, video, and audio codecs

- Kinect multichannel echo cancellation (MEC) hardware

- Cryptography engines for encryption and decryption, and hashing
Secondly the PS4:

http://kotaku.com/5977849/the-playstation-4-has-a-new-controller-fancy-user-accounts-and-impressive-specs-so-far

That being the case, here's what we know is inside PS4 development kits—model # DVKT-KS000K—as of January 2013. As you'll see, some things have changed since earlier kits became available in March 2012.

System Memory: 8GB
Video Memory: 2.2 GB
CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" (so, 8x cores)
GPU: AMD R10xx
Ports: 4x USB 3.0, 2x Ethernet
Drive: Blu-Ray
HDD: 160GB
Audio Output: HDMI & Optical, 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1 channels
If you think the HDD is small, remember, these are the specs for a machine that developers are using to make games on, not the console you'll own and be storing media on. And don't worry about having two ethernet ports; as this is a dev kit, one is there for local sharing/testing purposes.

Interestingly, while some of these specs (such as the 8x core CPU) match with those reported by Digital Foundry only a few days ago, others like the RAM (DF reported 4GB of GDDR5, while we've heard 8GB) differ.

We've learned there's a headphone jack on the front of the console, but it's unclear whether that's just for dev kits or is an intended feature of the final retail console.

CONTROLLER

Ever since the release of the original PlayStation, Sony has maintained roughly the same basic controller design. This trend may be continuing with the PS4, because we've learned that developers are working with—and dev kits support—both the Sixaxis and DualShock 3 controller. This suggests that, for the most part, the design and capabilities of the PS4's controller will be similar to those on the PS3. The documentation also shows a Move controller, suggesting Sony's Wii-style motion wand will work with the new console.

There is a new controller in development for the PS4, though, known internally as the Orbis Development Tool, and while it keeps many of the same features as the current pads—like the four iconic PlayStation face buttons, two thumbsticks and shoulder triggers—there's one key addition.

THE CURRENT PS4 DEV KIT, AT A GLANCE

8GB system memory, 2.2GB video memory
4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" CPU, AMD R10xx Liverpool GPU
New controller features touch pad
Can link PSN accounts to controllers, allowing for multiple logins.
British site CVG speculated last week that, because they'd heard the PS4's controller was "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita", that meant it would feature a touch screen. Instead, the Orbis' controller features a capacitive touch pad, like you find on the back of a Vita (presumably it's also on the back of the PS4's controller), that can recognise two-point multi-touch. The entire pad can also be "clicked" for an additional input button.

The PS4's controller will again be capable of motion-sensing, like its PS3 predecessors, only now with improved technology like tilt correction. It will also feature vibration, which Sony has thankfully learned is a next-gen feature you need to launch with. It'll also have an RGB LED light in it.

While there have been reports of the PS4 controller featuring "biometric" technology, there was no mention of it in the information we were provided.

There's one other addition to the PS4's pad you won't find on a DualShock 3: a "Share" button. We're not exactly sure what it does. The most likely use would be to allow users to share some aspect of their gaming experience to Twitter or Facebook. Maybe a screenshot? We have no idea. But that Share button might have something to do with...

ACCOUNTS

Sony is trying to change the way you think about user accounts with the PS4. As it stands now, and this applies to all current consoles the PS3 (and the Wii U), when you log in, you log in as a single user. With Orbis, Sony is moving the place of "ownership" away from the console, with something it calls "multi-user simultaneous logins."

Which means that the PS4 will let more than one person be logged into the same system at the same time. It achieves this by linking control pads to user accounts; as each new controller syncs with the system, that player's account can be logged in as well. Accounts won't be "locked" to a controller; you'll simply be prompted to sign in to an account every time an extra pad is connected to the console.

One application we learned about for this feature would be that, were four players in a co-op battle able to defeat a boss, then all four would receive trophies.

We only learned of this feature in relation to local accounts stored on the console itself. It's unclear whether you'd also be able to do this via the PlayStation Network if you were playing online.

So, what do you think of these leaks? How close is this information to what we'll actually get in the final consoles? Are you swayed in any direction based on this information? What do yo think of Sony's development of accounts?

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
There's also some bollocks about the Kinect 2 coming with the new xbox plus it's supposed to be a media hub where everything can connect to it W8 phone and a new X tablet dedicated for the x box as a media controller aswell as a W8 tablet.

If Sony change the dual shock to be anything but a games controller I will be very disappointed, we don't need non of that touch screen shit.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Not swayed at all by anything on there, though the info about how you can log in with multiple accounts at the same time on PS4 is quite interesting...I suspect XBOX will have a similar feature, but I don't see it being very important to a majority of gamers.

As with JK i'm very interested in how they are both going to cater for real gamers in terms of user interface. Not interested in the gimmicks at all.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You might want to read this first.......

A gift from Microsofts own Major Nelson, which I think has been posted up to demonstrate & highlight that nothings been revealed as of yet.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If the controller has all this extra gubbins they will be expensive to buy, just had to buy a new dual shock, they do wear out eventually.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
yinkin said:
If the controller has all this extra gubbins they will be expensive to buy, just had to buy a new dual shock, they do wear out eventually.
Your not wrong, all of mine have little quirks now, pulling in one direction or the other :D

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
yinkin said:
I must be quite lucky as I've only had 3 controllers for my PS3's (the same number as i've had PS3's in fact) and they all work still.

My launch day Sixaxis has some sloppy play on one of the sticks, but I think that's more down to it getting little to no use these days. I've got two Dual Shocks and they both function perfectly, though the left stick on both have a groove from pushing forward on FPS games a LOT.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Click me

Could be the reveal of the PS4. Please dont let it be Playstation All Stars 2 announcement. Roll on 20th February :D

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Slaine said:
Could be the reveal of the PS4. Please dont let it be Playstation All Stars 2 announcement. Roll on 20th February :D
It's a bit to early for All=Star 2

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
It's gonna be something crap, they will be trying to spam the web with rumours of there next console. Either that or a really crap game :D

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It's bound to be something shite.

Sounds like it could well be hardware or service related as opposed to a game though given the info so far.

Official confirmation that they are working on a PS4 perhaps? I'm not sure if that ever happened yet, I don't think it did.

It could be the next PS HOME venture that they're bringing out.

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
PS4 is sceduled for release spring 2014 according to a press release. It will be slightly better than the new Xbox given the current specs.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Shock horror, Europe gets shafted again :roll: :rant:

Our little green friend from Holland could be right.....
TheSixthAxis said:
Rumour: PS4 Won’t Launch In Europe Until 2014
But everyone else will get the machine this year.

Edge Online, in a curiously titled article, are claiming that the PlayStation 4 – set to be at least mentioned in passing on the 20th – won’t make it out in Europe until 2014.

“We’re told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas, with a Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution,” says the site, which is hugely disappointing to hear.

That said, this information goes against the grain of everything we’ve heard so far, but it’s not entirely out of the question. We won’t know until we get to the PlayStation Meeting, however, and perhaps not even until E3 months later.

The magazine also re-iterates other recent rumours, including a new controller, enhanced Move sticks and a better, dual camera array in place of the old PlayStation Eye. Hopefully all this will be put to bed within the month, and we can all just look forward to some games.

Edge also claim that Sony are aiming for 8GB in the PS4, to match rumours that Xbox 720 will also feature the rather bumper amounts of RAM.

Sony kicked off their teaser campaign at around 11pm last night.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score

Just to get you all excited!!

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
As has been said before, ALL of what has come out is RUMOUR.

The only official line at all from Sony is that they will be making an announcement on the 20th of February regarding the future of playstation.

Not so much as an official announcement confirming the machines exist from either Microsoft or Sony unless I've missed something.

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
The info here is coming from anonymous sources from Edge magazine (UK) as Slaine posted and Polygon. So I don't know how reliable these parties are.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Would like the PS4, but money doesn't flow as it once did. So release day purchase is highly unlikely.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
At the moment I am quite happy with the PS3, there are a lot of game I have yet to play, it makes more sense to play those I want to play before moving. With a baby on the way this year, I cant see my self having much gaming time anyway, so I can afford to wait and see which console come out ahead. Having said that , I believe that there will not be much to decide between them so it would be a case of seeing which provides best value for money over the long term. If sony keep general gaming free then it will probably be them I go with them, I really enjoyed the sony exclusives like Uncharted, killzone, Journey, pixel junk etc so I feel no need to move manufacturer, but obviously if sony screw up, then I have no qualms about moving.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
CongrTs on the upcoming 'ickle Yinkin mate :clap:

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Congratulations on the little one :) when are you due?