The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS3 PS3 Gets Smaller And Lighter

Discussion in 'PlayStation Hardware & Other Games' started by Jkrohn1, 19 Sep 2012.

1. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    PlayStation 3 offers the ultimate in gaming and home entertainment at brilliant value for money, and it’s now available in an eye-catching smaller, lighter new design.
    Available from 28th September 2012, the new PS3 system comes with a whopping 500GB of storage and will be closely followed by a wallet-friendly 12GB version. The 500GB will launch as a bundle with FIFA 13 for around €299.99, with the 12GB priced around €229.99 standalone, and owners of the 12GB model will be able to connect a 5 inch SATA internal hard drive with use of an official Mounting Bracket, or opt for purchase of an official PlayStation 250GB internal HDD. So whether you’re after instant access to memorable, fun-packed evenings with the family, or want to load up your system with tons of fantastic entertainment, we’ve got the right PS3 for you.

[​IMG]

To tie in with the launch, we are introducing PS3 Essentials, providing the best of PlayStation 3 at the greatest value yet. With a wide range of titles available, from Assassins Creed: Brotherhood to Sports Champions, there is truly something for everyone (see full list below).
    These great games will be available at retail for around €19.99, with many titles available to download from PlayStation Store from around €14.99 (titles marked with an *).
    So, with all the great games and features you love now wrapped up in a sleek new design, there’s never been a better time to get your hands on PlayStation 3.
    1st Party Titles:
    Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune*
    Resistance Fall of Man
    inFAMOUS*
    Motorstorm
    Heavenly Sword
    MAG*
    God of War III
    LittleBig Planet*
    Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
    ModNation Racers*
    Sports Champions*
    EyePet & Friends
    Start The Party!
    DanceStar Party!
    Medieval Moves*
    Move Fitness*
    The Fight*
    3rd Party Titles:
    Assassin’s Creed II*
    Assassin’s Creed*
    Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood*
    Far Cry 2*
    Prince of Persia*
    Driver San Francisco*
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Vegas 2*
    James Cameron’s Avatar: The Game*
    Prince of Persia – The Forgotten Sands*
    Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood*
    Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2*
    Brothers In Arms: Hell’s Highway
    Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution*
    Tomb Raider: Underworld*
    Just Cause 2*
    Sniper: Ghost Warrior
    Tekken 6
    SEGA Mega Drive: Ultimate Collection
    Sonic Unleashed
    Virtua Fighter 5
    Darksiders: Wrath Of War*
    Homefront: Ultimate Edition*

Copied From http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/09/19/ps3-gets-smaller-and-lighter/

2. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Hope the current slim drops in price, I actually prefer the look of it compared to this new one

[​IMG]

3. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Does look pretty good, I have to admit.

4. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    So is that a manually slid lid and disk insertion method? They're probably sick of replacing slot load motors.

5. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I have to admit I find that machine to be fairly pretty.

I've already got a fat and a thin PS3 as it is though, and only two TV's in the house, and surely we're not far off the PS4 now, not sure I can really justify one of these unless BOTH my machines break.

*wonders if the wife would believe me if I said one of the children tipped juice onto the PS3*

6. shadstah

shadstah Semi-Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shadstah
    Thats now the 3rd PS3 and also the end of the line. Sony always do it, bring out a 3rd version of the latest machine around a year before they release a new machine upon us all.

I like this new model, looks better than the current "slim" I would probably get it if I didn't think the PS4 was around the corner. Oh well :eh:

Is this model the PS3 Anorexic? :errno:

7. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
  8. Macca72-

Macca72- Newbie Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Macca72-
    I don't like the way the top slides for disc loading. I haven't seen one in the flesh, but after reading that article, I am curious to see the build quality for myself. I have a good few Sony products and have always found their build quality to be pretty decent.

9. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Personally I think it's very plasticky and more on a par with the PS2's feel than the "luxury item" the fat/lite have imbued.

10. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    We saw it at the EuroGamer Expo and I wasn't impressed. The spring mechanism on the lid won't last, it seemed a bit flimsy. As for the lid itself, it looked like the corrugated cardboard that you find inside a box of chocolates.

11. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    Yeah, saw one ot the Eurogamer and didn't like it. Looked well tacky. If anything happened to my phatty I think I'll be inconsolable, I really like the design. It just oozes sex appeal. Mr Plax has a slim and I don't like that particularly either (I prefer gloss to matt). It's like the ugly brother to the phat.

12. Alien_Chick

Alien_Chick Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Alien_Chick
    we need a new ps3 as it is awful only having one and have seen the new 12g for £135 in tesco, offer on until tomorrow. Not sure whether to buy this after reading reviews and the ps4 due out next October / November. Does anybody know if ps3 games will be able to be played on the ps4????? Cheers guys

13. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I'm not expecting the ps4 until 2014 earliest, once you get a new one you can always sell it at a later date. My phat has been acting up for the last few months and I want a slim not a super slim as I prefer the look of the slim. But until it breaks down and dies I'm gonna make do.

Things you need to ask yourself do you have the cash to get it and is it a valid purchase. Do you both wanna do your own thing on the ps3. If the answer is yes to these then bite the bullet :)

PS we miss you AC ;)

14. Alien_Chick

Alien_Chick Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Alien_Chick
    Aw thank you ;) Yes I think we will purchase this as we miss not being able to play matches together, especially the new nfs so I think we will be shopping in tesco tomorrow lol. I was on NFS with Ace on Tuesday and will be playing again this week then we are off to Berlin for a few days so won't be on again until we get back. I must say I have really enjoyed getting back on and it will be better when we purchase the new ps3 :) Cheers xx

15. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Should be I Tuesday as I'm off this week :)

16. DarthRaiden666

DarthRaiden666 Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Darth_Raiden
    I don't expect PS4 till end of 2014 either.

Pick one up Alien, we all miss you.

17. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Everything seems to be suggesting the end of next year with the next instalments of CoD and Battlefield as launch titles.

Development kits have been out for long enough now, especially given that both PS4 and XBOX361 are using very standard powerpc architecture, so nothing too complicated to work with. Development teams will have had at least 2 years to be working on titles, that's enough for games that are being developed on another platform such as Battlefield as it's a simple port job. Call of Duty, unless it's having a major overhaul again shouldn't need more than two years development and the team have had a year since their last release so they will have been working on the next one.

For a team to build up something new and innovative from the ground up could well take longer than two years but I don't recall a console release with anything more than tarted up re-releases of existing games, a step up in graphics for a sequel or the odd first party original from a team who have likely had their hands on a detailed spec for longer than everyone else.

Speculation? Yep. But I do think there's a very good chance of the next generation of systems being available at the end of next year.

Would it stop me buying a PS3 next week? If both my PS3's suddenly broke i'd be out like a shot to get one even though I simply can't afford that kind of cash at the moment. There's still a good year ahead before the new machines and probably a good 6 months to a year of well supported life on the PS3 even when that does happen.

18. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Next year the ps4 and 720 should be at the game shows with expected Christmas release, that said i'm expecting them early 2014 and a staggered release like before. As with Col its speculation, but if my ps3 packed in I would Defo get in debt to get a replacement. If my 360 broke I would go and get a dvd player and never look back, I have had several and tbh I told my self before my last that I wasn't gonna get a replacement.

19. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Theyve both been pencilled in for an 2013 reveal. Whether either of them will make the shops by the end of 2013 is anyones guess. I say no, especially Sony who's history for honouring release dates in Europe is piss poor. We've still got a good years+ of gaming yet from our systems, easily. And Im not going to replace mine unless theres backwards capability and a strong selection of games. Pretty much all launch games are shite, so why get rid of your 360/PS3 for a system with a handful of games.

20. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Absolutely, I have no doubt that once the next generation of consoles become the norm and essentially everyone has migrated i'm still gonna get a LOT of use out of my PS3's, both of which are used as media players extensively.

I'd probably think about hacking them too so I can support more file types once i'm not using them online.

Either way I wouldn't get rid of my PS3 to finance a PS4, not a hope in hell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice