Possible removal of Tapatalk

Do you use Tapatalk to access the Senior Gamers site?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I am seriously considering the possible removal of Tapatalk from Senior Gamers.

I won't go into a lot of details at this time (though I will do so if it is removed). What I will say for now is that I have concerns on the possible forcing of advertising onto at least some Taptalk users (could be those using Tapatalk free version or both free and Pro users) to which I as the forum owner have no control over. I also have concerns again about the security of Tapatalk following a couple of incidents reported recently.

I do know that other forum owners have already removed Tapatalk or are in the process of doing so. I have not made a final decision yet as I am waiting on responses from Tapatalk about these and other issues. However I wanted to give you fair warning about this.

I have added a simple poll to this thread to find out how many members use Tapatalk to access this site. Please do vote in this poll - it's a simple yes or no answer. Tapatalk users will therefore need to visit the site to vote in the poll as this is yet another thing that the app doesn't support. Please do vote - if there's hardly anyone using Tapatalk anyway then I might just remove it, so it's important to say if you do. The poll is open for 7 days.

I would suggest that Tapatalk users in the next few days try out the website using your phone's browser. As I've mentioned before, the responsive design works well on a small screen.

If you wish to comment on this, including how much you use Tapatalk (if at all) then please feel free to post below.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
For the record, I use Tapatalk. I use it at times when I'm out and about but have started to access the site on my mobile browser at times. I never access the site with Tapatalk on my Nexus 7 tablet as I find the responsive design of the site is great on that and Tapatalk is a poor substitute.

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I use Tapatalk on my phone, but I've also got the web site permanently open on a tab on Safari. So while I do use it, it wouldn't bother me if the functionality was removed.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I use Tapatalk. On my mobile I prefer it as it's easier and faster. I have never had any adverts. I have the paid android version though if that makes a difference. I have started using the browser version and it's okay if using wifi. I always use the safari browser on my ipad. I have never noticed advertising on the iPad version on Tapatalk either and that's the free one.
Of It goes ot goes, I'm sure I can live without it!

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I visit the site through Tapatalk 4 95% of the time, because I find it easier to use on my phone than via a browser. I have the pro version and haven't seen any adds so far.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Regarding ads, you won't have seen any so far as I have the option switched off in the Tapatalk forum owners area. However, they have switched it on once already against my wishes (which I spotted quickly and then switched off again). The concern is that they will either remove these controls altogether or have them only apply to users who have paid for the app.

Dogstar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I use tapatalk on my phone. As others I have tried to use it through my phone browser but found it really slow and unresponsive. I have the paid for version and never have any adverts.

I use tapatalk to access the site 99% of the time as I cannot access it at work because I'm too busy. I fear if tapatalk is removed you may as well delete me as member :(

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I use tapatalk on my phone. As others I have tried to use it through my phone browser but found it really slow and unresponsive. I have the paid for version and never have any adverts.

I use tapatalk to access the site 99% of the time as I cannot access it at work because I'm too busy. I fear if tapatalk is removed you may as well delete me as member :(
Don't you access the site at home then?

Have you tried accessing the site since the last upgrade in August? It really is a very different beast to what it was before.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have to use Tapatalk at work as SNR is blocked due to it being a gaming site. I do however spam people's eyes with my inane drivel when I get home. You can do this too @Dogstar ?

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Spruijt, @Dogstar, @Plaxinator and others - you might want to check to see if you do indeed have the Pro version of Tapatalk. Just because you paid for the app doesn't mean it's Pro.

Tapatalk on Android have now designated Tapatalk 2 as "Classic" and it's no longer available on the Tapatalk store (though an apk file for this is on the Tapatalk site). Tapatalk 2 is now being upgraded to Tapatalk, which is the free version. You best check the Play Store and see if you have an upgrade option. If more recently you have bought Tapatalk 4, this is now designated as Tapatalk Pro.

There are many unhappy Tapatalk 2 users posting on the Tapatalk site about this, having their paid-for version "upgraded" to the free version. So you can see another of the concerns I have regarding ads - you may not be getting them now with your paid version but there is the possibility that you will in the future because yours is an old paid version and you'll have to "upgrade" to Tapatalk free.

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I've got Tapatalk 4.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I bought Tapatalk 2 so I expect I am now on Tapatalk free then as a few days ago I had an update and the design has completely changed.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just checked out the play store. They are getting some serious slating in the reviews for what they've done. I personally prefer the previous version and as I thus far have no adverts I'm not too bothered that I'm on the free version. If both sites I use abandon it I'll probably delete it.

PS it has taken me doubly long to write this on the mobile web browser as whenever I'd try and edit a word it would take me to the top of the page!

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Plaxinator what browser are you using on your phone? I've not had this issue with either Chrome on Android or Dolphin Mini. Are you sure it's not just fat finger syndrome? ;)

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
According to my phone and tablet I have 2 Tapatalk apps installed and both are Tapatalk 4, However when I go onto Google Play It tells me I have Tapatalk Community Reader 4.0.26 and Tapatalk Pro 4.1.0.
So far I've not had any ads, And It would be a real shame to lose the Tapatalk feature. My suggestion would be to continue to use Tapatalk until such time as everyone gets fed up with the ads and then revisit this question. :)

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Plaxinator what browser are you using on your phone? I've not had this issue with either Chrome on Android or Dolphin Mini. Are you sure it's not just fat finger syndrome? ;)
I'm using the standard browser on the phone. As for the fat finger syndrome remark, that is tantamount to telling me my bum looks big in my dress! I am now psychologically damaged beyond repair!
; 0)

PS is chrome better then? What about Mozilla? That is my browser of choice at home.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
According to my phone and tablet I have 2 Tapatalk apps installed and both are Tapatalk 4, However when I go onto Google Play It tells me I have Tapatalk Community Reader 4.0.26 and Tapatalk Pro 4.1.0.
So far I've not had any ads, And It would be a real shame to lose the Tapatalk feature. My suggestion would be to continue to use Tapatalk until such time as everyone gets fed up with the ads and then revisit this question. :)
Ads aren't the only issue here, there's also security which I've alluded too. Again this is another issue I'm waiting to hear from the developers.

I'm using the standard browser on the phone. As for the fat finger syndrome remark, that is tantamount to telling me my bum looks big in my dress! I am now psychologically damaged beyond repair!
; 0)

PS is chrome better then? What about Mozilla? That is my browser of choice at home.
Didn't mean your fingers were fat, just that you might have been clumsy. :P Anyway, we need pics of your bum in a dress to really say what it is like. ;)

I don't like Firefox on Android. I use Chrome on my tablet and Dolphin mini on my phone (which is still on Android 2.2 so can't run Chrome). I also use Chrome on my PC which I much prefer to Firefox.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'll give Chrome a go on my phone then. Gonna stick to Mozilla on my PCs though just to be different.

EDIT - Chrome is shite, I'm ditching it already

Last edited:

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Mrs Vee uses tapatalk mainly (and only for here). I've only just got it. We will be happy with whatever u decide to do Martok.

And fat fingers? Dude, u NEVER use the F word on a chick. Just sat it was an Id10t operator error. Good luck ;)