PS4 PlayStation Now streaming

HaloJ

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just received a cheeky email from Sony saying I can now stream PS3 games on my content lacking, two year old PS4 for the not bargain price of "from" £12.99. I haven't deemed to click on said email for fear of showing interest in such a flagrant rip off. This feature should be part of the Plus subscription.

Abs

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I didn't think £12.99 was too bad for unlimited streaming of games. Obviously it depends on the quantity of titles and the quality of the streaming experience, it would be a good alternative to buying games if you were a casual gamer. I would agree there has been a dearth of great games on the ps4 so far but I have enough to keep me busy.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was wondering when that Playstation Now looking icon appeared on my PS4, I'm sure it wasn't there with the latest update initially, unless I just missed it with the clutter on the XMB (I want my folders back!!!!).

Dogstar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Sidestepping the price issue the technology behind this is very impressive. Considering you play the games off a server it genuinely feels like they are local!

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I beta tested it and PlayStation Now is awesome. Works beautifully.

Abs, read the small print too. Its only access to a portion of the library, not all the games Playstation Now offers.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if i was able to play my back catalogue of over 100 PS3 games for free but my PS3 is sat next to my PS4, no thanks.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I beta tested it and PlayStation Now is awesome. Works beautifully.

Abs, read the small print too. Its only access to a portion of the library, not all the games Playstation Now offers.
I beta tested it too, Despite having a download speed of 120gb it never worked, I always got the 'insufficient speed to stream' error thing.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I beta tested it too, Despite having a download speed of 120gb it never worked, I always got the 'insufficient speed to stream' error thing.
120Mbps maybe, not 120Gbps. Maybe you're confusing it with your bandwidth, which is a monthly allowance measured in Gb.

Is that your actual speed or just the stated maximum speed by your provider? Did you run a speed test at the time? Who is your provider?

I beta tested it and it worked just fine. I have 70Mbps download and 15Mbps speeds (actual, not maximum stated). I'm with BT who don't do traffic shaping unlike some providers. Virgin Media do traffic shaping and this could affect gaming.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
120Mbps maybe, not 120Gbps. Maybe you're confusing it with your bandwidth, which is a monthly allowance measured in Gb.

Is that your actual speed or just the stated maximum speed by your provider? Did you run a speed test at the time? Who is your provider?

I beta tested it and it worked just fine. I have 70Mbps download and 15Mbps speeds (actual, not maximum stated). I'm with BT who don't do traffic shaping unlike some providers. Virgin Media do traffic shaping and this could affect gaming.
Lol, yeah i meant 120mbps download, 15mbps upload.
It just never worked and yes I ran speed tests which were only ever just a few mbs off what I've stated.
Im on Virgin media.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Lol, yeah i meant 120mbps download, 15mbps upload.
It just never worked and yes I ran speed tests which were only ever just a few mbs off what I've stated.
Who is your provider? Maybe traffic shaping was affecting things.

HERMAN_JELMET

Meatbag
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Im on virgin, Ive heard they only traffic shape their lower price tiers but can't be sure that's true, I can stream 1080p and torrent Bluray movies in minutes without issue, I reckon the problem was at Sony's end.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Im on virgin, Ive heard they only traffic shape their lower price tiers but can't be sure that's true, I can stream 1080p and torrent Bluray movies in minutes without issue, I reckon the problem was at Sony's end.
Traffic shaping affects certain things and not others due to the way it works.

Traffic shaping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So traffic shaping would be set so that movie streaming works fine but other services might not.

Virgin say this about traffic management:

If you're on our 30Mbit or above services you will only ever be traffic managed if you’ve been uploading a very large amount of data during peak times, and reached the limit set for your broadband tier.
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3103&CURRENT_CMD=SEARCH&CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&USERTYPE=1&LANGUAGE=en&COUNTY=us&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable

Looking at the finer detail of the 30Mbit or higher policy, they only traffic manage upload speeds. PlayStation Now by the nature of the streaming service uses both download and upload capability. It's possible that due to your use of torrents (which not only download large amounts of data but can upload too over time, that's how they work) that you are being traffic managed and it may be the cause of your issues with PlayStation Now.

It's not definitive that the problem is yours, it could be a PlayStation Now problem. But it is conceivable that, due to the above, it may have been an issue at your end.

Solo-nite

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was tempted try out playstation now on subscription but does it not cover all the games. Cause if it doesn't that seems rubbish to be honest

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was tempted try out playstation now on subscription but does it not cover all the games. Cause if it doesn't that seems rubbish to be honest
As in every single PS3 game ever? Wouldn't have thought so. They'd probably provide different content according to different regions as well I'd have thought

I think I'll try PS Now at some point, but I'm too busy at the moment to get my moneys worth. If it has all the Assassins Creed games I'm in. I have AC II but would like to play them all from the beginning.

Solo-nite

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
As in every single PS3 game ever? Wouldn't have thought so. They'd probably provide different content according to different regions as well I'd have thought

I think I'll try PS Now at some point, but I'm too busy at the moment to get my moneys worth. If it has all the Assassins Creed games I'm in. I have AC II but would like to play them all from the beginning.

No I meant if you can't access all the games available aka 100 games.

If you can subscribe and play all available games that's fine but if you can only play 80 out of 100 for example that would be rubbish

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The plan is to have every ps1, ps2, ps3, psp and ps4 games available. They are a long way off from this, and also way off with their pricing. Typical Sony, which is a shame because there was great potential. By the time they get the pricing right, people will have such a back catalogue of ps4 games to play they won't be interested in playing retro games, let alone paying for the privilege. I'm pretty much there now. Even if I don't buy a game gor 6 months, I've still got enough to keep me playing.
To quote Peppa Pig, "silly Sony".

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
there are plenty of good games on the list to play on a subscription basis, but many of them are old favourites which I suspect most keen gamers will already have played. If you never had a ps3 it is good value, but for the rest of us maybe ot so much.