The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PS3 Playstation Home - Uproar

Discussion in 'PlayStation Hardware & Other Games' started by Slaine, 17 Oct 2012.

1. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Yet another new and free to play game.....

The best game so far is the rpg/dungeon game Mercia: Fractured Realms.

Seriously, try Home again. Its completely new and different these days, and has gone from the game launching platform to become its own gaming world hub that it is now.

Now all we need is trophy support ;)

2. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    Is that mercia game single player only?

3. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    What actually is Home? I have never used it, closest I have come to it is seeing the icon on the xmb.

4. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Home is a glorious waste of premium hard disk space. :D

It's a place teenagers go to fawn over men with female avatars or harass any female using an avatar of her relevant gender. There's a bowling alley where you can bowl or shoot a game of pool on a table that frequently breaks the laws of physics. You can play dress up with your character and "flat" even spending real money on pixelated clothes and pets which follow your character about. The total worst part of the travesty that is Home is that it actually makes money! :wtf:

As you may be able to tell, I'm not a fan and have been back to it on a few occasions to reaffirm my belief that Sony should have invested the money spent on Home actually giving the PS3 a decent backbone and comms infrastructure.

EDIT : Getting down to it I think being forced to participate in Home is what utterly killed being a Sony Beta tester for me.

5. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    So I've not missed much then 8-)

6. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    Ahh yes, I've been a female avatar on an alternate account just to try out the different regions and had my share of 'where you from?' and 'what's your MSN?' and 'You're a slag' for not giving out my MSN.

7. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Its an acquired taste. Home is now a casual game universe, so if mini games and arcade distractions arent your thing then Home isnt going to change your point of view.

It was originally going to be a central hub, where virtual representations of your friends meet and can then launch your chosen games from it. To be honest, the original interface was too clunky, and it took far too long to boot up Home to then prat about and then boot up say COD or whatever.

Home has moved on. Its still a social network with visual representations of everyone, where you can type/emote/voice chat. You can still launch games too if you so wish (but why would you bother? :roll: ). Its a casual gaming universe that expands the PS3 gaming world too. Theyve had E3 and Gamescom spaces, loads of themed spaces for games and films, and a cinema that plays game & film trailers and sometimes mini movies. In fact one of the mini movies a year ago was absolutely brilliant; check below for a trailer of it....

Xi was a particular highlight of Home. For 12 weeks players in Home were involved in solving the mystery surrounding Xi. This involved using magazines, the internet, bill boards around major cities in the world, forums etc etc. There were some mini games, but it was the puzzles that were Xi's biggest draw. Check out the video below.

But best of all is the Xmas space, which gets rolled out at the beginning of December every year. A series of mini games that acts like a virtual advent calendar. I have fun doing this every year in the run up to Xmas with my kids. They absolutely love it. Heres a pic of me with Father Christmas.

[​IMG]

Ive been flogging to death the merits of Home to some of the people here for years, and I will continue to do so. Like full retail games on the PS3, theres a lot of shit in Home, but theres also some very good little games. And best of all its free and totally unique to the PS3 too. :thumbup:

8. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    Just found the full video of the short film Fracture on Youtube....

You're welcome. :mrgreen:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice