1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

PlayStation disaster averted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HaloJ, 9 Jul 2012.

1. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Well I think that may have been a close call. :wave:

We've been seeing niggles on the machine in the living room for some time. Odd little things like game lockups requiring the disk to be checked on reboot and audio cut outs. We tried to watch something on LoveFilm the other afternoon and it was totally unwatchable and stuttery. Powering off for a reboot revealed the dreaded disk check screen on which it duly froze for a couple of hours at 47%. Giving up on the disk check we pulled the power and tried again, this time the OS failed to launch. :cry: A third attempt got us in and to the XMB where we managed to make a full backup. :woot:

Now with a new larger disc and the system restored we can see we were close to losing it all as there are odd items here and there that are corrupt upon restore. Still, no audio cut outs and all the save data is a considerably lucky escape. I'm still raw over losing my Rainbow 6 Vegas protected save and really didn't want to have to go through that again. We only have one Plus subscription which Andy uses to transfer saves between the two machines, I run the gauntlet of failure.

The moral of the story is backup what you can often. :idea:

Abs

2. naking

naking Semi-Regular Gamer

PSN:
    naking
    That was a close call. My original PS3 died on Christmas morning 2 years ago. Ruined Christmas that did.

3. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    My original PS3 died on xmas day too, It was only 2 years old :(

4. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Sounds like its an overheating problem. I put ice cubes on mine to cool it down. Works a treat, still using a phat model and its been used 8,871 hours since 24/03/07 accoring to my system usage monitor.

5. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    I remember reading something on T'internet about a 13 year old boy trying to cool his xbox power pack, His mum left the house to go to a neighbour's, As she was leaving she saw him wrap the power pack in a plastic bag, tape It up and drop It into a bucket Of water,
    When she came back a few minutes later he sprawled out on the other side of the room, He'd electrocuted himself!!! :lol:

Near enough :)

http://www.funtechtalk.com/boy-nearly-killed-trying-to-cool-xbox-360/

6. Dogstar

Dogstar Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Dogstar
    That was a really close call Halo, glad it's sorted. I'm on Playstations 4 & 5 although my original 60 GB PS3 was stolen. By the laws of sod this was after the 40 GB model came out...

7. SHROUD

SHROUD Regular Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Shroud
    Glad t'was averted, gotten into the habit of saving my game progress to the PSN cloud. Hopefully never have to use it, but I am on my 3rd PS3 :( .

8. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders
    There's a system usage monitor?

If I could find that sort of information out about my play stations i'm sure it would be a scarily high value.

I have to say I literally never back up my system.

The only time I bothered was when I knew my launch day system was failing, took hours to backup and failed to copy some saves over. Fortunately most of the games I play have saves stored online, or at least for the online component, though i'd be pissed if I completely lost my rock band 2 save!

9. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    I use the cloud saves, but once my PS+ membership expires in September I'll be back to backing up all game saves to a spare memory stick on my PSP. :( Oh well, it does work as I managed to rescue a lot of game saves when my original PS3 died. Youve just got to remember to bother to do it.

I read that the cloud saves arent deleted until your membership expires 6 months later, so even if I have a break from PS+ theyll still be there.

10. HERMAN_JELMET

HERMAN_JELMET Meatbag

PSN:
    HERMAN_JELMET
    Unfortunately you can't access them until you subscribe again, I have game saves stuck In the cloud, I let my PS+ run out In May.

11. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    The advantage of Plus is that you can copy the read only protected saves to it. Something that I could have done with when my fat killed itself. I noticed the other day that BF3 is a protected save, annoyingly.

12. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.

PSN:
    ColSonders

Does that actually work though?

The way I thought the whole backing up thing worked was that you couldn't just copy a protected save across onto a USB device, but if you did a full backup it would copy the protected saves too. But actually that didn't work when I tried it, the protected saves backed up but wouldn't restore.

I'm pretty sure that if you did a system transfer though (full backup from one PS3 directly to another via your internal network) that it worked...I think this was a feature that was added at a similar time to PS+.

So possibly PS+ won't work with protected saves if legacy details are anything to go by, or perhaps protected saves will now actually work via a system backup these days (which I think you can do without backing up your WHOLE system, so you can leave out demos/downloaded games/videos and the like and purely backup saves and game data.

I should probably look at a backup at some point.

13. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    Full backups with protected saves only work when putting them back on the same PS3 (even with a HD swap), as this worked when both Halo & I upgraded our HDs. However if restoring to a new PS3, the protected saves do not copy across.

As for PS+, it does allow you to transfer protected saves from one PS3 to another. When my fat PS3 died I managed to resurrect it and upload some protected saves to PS+ which I had subsequently bought. I've now downloaded those protected saves onto my new PS3. So I still have my KZ2 and R6V saves which I thought I had lost.

14. DarthRaiden666

DarthRaiden666 Warlock, Jedi, Sith... #66 PNMotorsport
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Darth_Raiden
    I back up to three or four things.

PSN plus cloud storage ( must renew before December)
    USB memory stick
    PSPgo.

It pays to be paranoid.

15. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
  16. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Yes JK it does same as PS+. The method that doesn't work is backing up and restoring to a new unit as the restore will dump all the protected saves due to the system ID being different.

17. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Great just ill be doing that when I finally get my slim lol