PS4 Playstation 4 price revealed

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The Sixth Axis said:
Thank you, PlayStation India. According to several reports, including one from a Spanish site and one from German site, the Indian Sony site briefly listed a page for PlayStation 4 that included a model (250GB hdd) and a price.
That price was €399 which would probably mean a $400 price tag in the US and around £350 here in the UK. That’s for what we assume would be the basic model, with the smallest hard drive size. Expect a higher price for a larger hard disk, that fancy new PSEye camera array and perhaps a Move controller bundled in with it. Perhaps we’ll also see a nice PS4 and Vita bundle, too.
The page has since been removed but there are enough corroborating reports to indicate there’s some truth to this (although screengrabs next time, gents!)
So, what do we think? Sounds fair enough to me.
Well thats me out. I had a price tag in my head of £250 (£300 absolute tops), so no PS4 for me.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If its over 299 in the uk it wont sell well.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Don't expect to be getting any next gen console then @Slaine if your max price is £250-£300.

As for the other stuff that the Sixth Axis have written, quite frankly that is utter tosh, the writer could get himself a job with the Daily Mail. The Move controller IS the Dualshock 4, you aren't going to get a separate Move controller, at least not at this stage. The new PSEye will come with the console as the whole design of the PS4 is around Move being built in, so they are hardly going to leave it out! They've also said that a headset will come as standard, no mention of it here in this speculation.

Last edited:

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I agree with Martok here, I don't think you'll get a next gen system for £250....although I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft announces a £300 price tag for the XBOX, this would likely not include some stuff, same as the basic model of XBOX without wifi and with a tiny hard drive.

They have to include their peripherals though, the cameras / controllers are how you use the things, they couldn't not include those.

I also predict that the PS4 won't sell well in the UK, but that's more to do with the economy and a gut feeling they'll delay the launch here to allow XBOX a market lead....I mean so they can manufacture enough units to meet demand.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Trying to remember how much my day 1 PS3 was, I'm sure it was in the region of 350-450GBP.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I know I know, a bit optimistic my price plan. But as theres rumoured to be an almost simultaneous release, you'd think one of them would have the gumption to keep the price low to optimise initial sales. Initial sales can be important, because if people perceive one console to be triumphing then it could influence their purchase. Noone wants buy & be stuck with betamax, HDDVD, minidisc etc etc. Anyway, if the Xbox is similarly priced I'll just wait 6 months for the inevitable price drops. I'd like to be a day one adopter, but I can live without it if it saves me money. Plus, let others test the reliability and robustness of these new and untested consoles; help make the choice even easier then.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
......if memory serves me correctly I think I got my 360 for about £280ish. My PS3 was £250, but that was after almost a year since launch.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My launch day Playstations have all been fairly expensive, pretty sure the PS3 was around the £400 mark, though I got it with a game for I think £430.

I would like to think this leaked pricing is fairly accurate, it's the right balance in my opinion, it's not overly expensive as the PS3 was on launch so that shouldn't put people off, yet it's not that cheap that Sony make as much of a loss on hardware sales initially.

I do think XBOX will go out of their way to undercut them and if that means trimming features to keep the cost down that's what they'll do, they know all too well from the last two generations of hardware how important it is to get a lead early on in the hardware userbase, they were never able to fully compete with the PS2 because of the lead the PS2 had when the first xbox launched and the 360 has lead all the way until recently when the price had dropped for the PS3 again.

So you never know...Sony may announce a £350 price tag and end up pulling out a few components to allow for a cheaper model to compete with the inevitable undercut in price from the competition....you may well end up with a £300 launch day console...but don't hold your breath.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Anyway, if the Xbox is similarly priced I'll just wait 6 months for the inevitable price drops. I'd like to be a day one adopter, but I can live without it if it saves me money. Plus, let others test the reliability and robustness of these new and untested consoles; help make the choice even easier then. until launch day and then I'll crumble and buy one. I'm so weak-willed.
FTFY ;)

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@Martok I thought you hated text speak!!:D

Last edited by a moderator:

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
People always make a big deal about the xbox being cheaper but you are not comparing like with like, Sony included a lot of stuff with the PS3 that you had to pay extra for on xbox, if i recall charging cables and controller batteries and of course xbox live. I expect ps4 to probably be about £350 + depending on the model and as long as Sony dont stiff us by taking out stuff we really need and selling them as extras, I will be okay with that.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm sure I paid circa £350 for a 40gb phatty in 2008. That was about a year after release I think. I don't think you're going to get much change out of £400 for a PS4.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm sure I paid circa £350 for a 40gb phatty in 2008. That was about a year after release I think. I don't think you're going to get much change out of £400 for a PS4.
Lower manufacturing costs and lower investments by Sony due to using AMD chipsets instead of building their own factories to produce their own Cell chips should help to keep costs down.

But I wouldn't be surprised if we see a $400 price tag in the US for a Christmas release and then a March release here at £350 (which is more expensive than the US counterpart) with a price drop in the US at that point to $350

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I paid €600,- for my 40gb phatty when it came out. It was the 2 controller + game pack. I suspect the PS4 will come in a similar pack with similar pricetag. Also a budget version for around €500,- (£400,-).

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I bought Two PS3;s on release day and they were £429.99. The main reason that they were a lot more than the xBox at the time was that they had a Blu Ray in them which back in the day would cost over £300 for a stand alone Blu ray player. Now you can get Blu Ray players for £50. As Col says , they are using a AMD chip so there is no reason in my opinion why they cant release them at under £300.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I found a site that are selling them for £289.99 so i've placed my order .

jonnywombat

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I got me a 40gb orginal fat ps3, and a 500gb harddrive off ebay... was a much cheaper way of doing it than buying the bigger ps3 at the time.

I have no plans for early adoption, I will wait for the price to fall a bit. £250 would be the absolute limit for me atm, depending on bundle deals etc.

TalllPaul

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hoping it is that price, my PS3 cost 600€ :O Although at the time I thought it was a bargain as it was also a Blu Ray player (even though I don't use it for BluRay lol) the GF wasn't the happiest bunny.