The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Play.com closing retail business in March

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Martok, 9 Jan 2013.

1. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-09-play-com-closing-retail-business-in-march

2. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    Don't think I will miss Play.com

"The abolishment of the LVCR loophole has apparently resulted in 600 people losing their jobs on the island of Jersey, where only around 100,000 people live"

But it will help protect jobs on the mainland. The likes of Game are back in business, Grainger games and other smaller chains are doing quite well. This loophole ment that companies could sell goods in the UK under £15 and not pay any VAT making them £20% cheaper than thier mainland rivals. Perhaps if this VAT free loophole had been closed earlier, more VAT paying Indie shops would have survived?

3. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    It's a big shame really because they were still a big employer at the end if the day. I stopped using Play a couple of years ago as they stopped being the cheapest and were really slow with delivery. So I won't miss them either. Feel sorry for all those people though.

4. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I won't miss play at all, used to be great but they seemed to turn crap 7 days to deliver items. Games are £40 so they would have been paying tax anyway?

5. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Yeah I don't get it, I'm sure they sold lots of budget games, but their full price games certainly wouldn't come under the LVCR loophole.

I stopped using them years ago when they stopped being cheap and stopped being awesome at getting games to you quickly/early.

As with others I feel sorry for those losing their jobs but certainly won't miss Play.com

6. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    I used to use Play all the time before they were took over. The prices went up and the service went downhill.

Viva Shopto.net, which are pretty damn good.

Im curious to see how Amazon will fare now......

7. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Lots of my items sold by amazon came from indigostarfish which is a gift company will they be affected by the loophole closure? No tax on gift wasn't affected by the loophole thingy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice