Multi Overwatch will be free to play next weekend on console

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Requires Xbox Live Gold, but not PlayStation Plus.

Overwatch will be free to play for PS4 and Xbox One players from 9th-12th September, Blizzard has announced.

Unlike the beta, this free weekend will encompass all 22 heroes and 13 maps with all modes enabled (Quick Play, Custom Games, Play vs. AI, and the latest Weekly Brawl).

Progress will be carried over should players decide to purchase the game. This will include all content gathered from Loot Boxes, though Trophies and Achievements have been disabled for the free weekend.

To find the Overwatch free trial you'll need to search for "Overwatch Free Weekend" on PSN or "Overwatch: Origins Edition Free Weekend" on Xbox Live. The Free Weekend client will be 9GB on PS4 and 15GB on Xbox One.

Interestingly, PlayStation Plus is not required to partake in the free weekend festivities, but Xbox Live Gold is.

The Overwatch free weekend will kick off at 7pm UK time on 9th September and end at 12am UK time 13th September.

Overwatch has been the go-to pastime for some Eurogamer staffers since its launch in May. Our Chris Bratt bestowed it with the rare Essential badge in his glowing Overwatch review, where he called it "a game I want to play for years to come."

Source: Overwatch will be free to play next weekend on console

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@HaloJ and I have been trying this out and it's surprisingly good fun.

I had reservations about trying it again as I wasn't keen on this in the beta, though at the time I'd only just got my hands on Battleborn and wanted to play that. I also think I was negative towards it because of all of the hype as well as the comparisons made between Overwatch and Battleborn (they aren't the same type of game really so much of the comparisons were unjust).

Anyway, it plays really well. It's easy to pick up and play, games only last 5-10 minutes (so you can play a quick game or two in some spare time) and it's buttery smooth running at 60fps.

We'll likely be on again tomorrow evening and Monday evening before the free weekend finishes. After that, we'll likely be picking this up (it's discounted currently on PSN). We'll still play Battleborn too, of course.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Tried it again a couple of times, still doesn't sit that we'll with me though it is very, very pretty. Too much of a twitch shooter for this old man. ;)

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I am still in two minds about this, I really enjoyed playing on Sunday, but like Zoob I feel like I am moving in treacle compared to everyone else, I have twitch reflexes measured in geological ages.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm still really enjoying this and as I said we'll likely pick this up. @HaloJ and I will be playing this again tonight (last night of the open weekend) so if @yinkin, @zoob, @Solo-nite and @Dogstar (and anyone else who has played this) fancies joining us from probably 9pm onwards (will try and get on earlier if we can) then that would be great.

When I tried Overwatch in the beta I felt very outclassed by other players due to it being a twitch shooter. However, I don't feel like this so much this time. I don't know if it's because I've been playing Battleborn in recent months (which isn't a twitch shooter but is a 'competitive' multiplayer game) or whether it's because I've put in around 9 or so hours into the game and started to become more familiar with some of the characters. This game, just like Battleborn, is one which will take some time to get familiar with characters and which ones suit your play style. It can be a bit overwhelming having 22 to choose from, each with unique abilities, plus a bunch of maps (?12), all of which will be new and unfamiliar to us. However, if you think this might be the sort of game that you'd like, it's worth persevering a bit more with it and possibly sticking with a few characters to get familiar with them and trying to work out which ones suit your play style (not everyone will be good as say an attacker or a healer, some people play better as say defence or support).

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Don't think I'll be home tonight.
If the remote play works reasonably enough with the pstv though, I'll give it a shot.

Solo-nite

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hopefully I might be on not sure yet

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Are there any other Seniors who play Overwatch besides me, @HaloJ and @Solo-nite?

I must say I'm loving this game so far and look forward to playing it. If there are others, then I'll look at organising a regular event for this. If there aren't, then I'll just arrange something with @HaloJ and @Solo-nite.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I decided that Battleborn was a better fit for. Overwatch is a good game but I was getting trounced and I can't really see that changing so I opted against it for now.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Overwatch will be free to play during next weekend (18 - 21 Nov)
But it requires PS Plus or Xbox Live Gold.

Blizzard's popular team-based competitive shooter Overwatch will be free to play during the weekend of 18th-21st November.

More specifically, it will kick off 18th November at 8pm UK time, then conclude at midnight UK time on 22nd November.

The Overwatch free weekend will be available on all platforms, and includes all 22 heroes and 13 maps. It will also allow the following game modes: Quick Play, Play vs. AI, Custom Game, and Weekly Brawl.

The only catch is that even though there are single-player modes with AI (plus a tutorial), access to the Overwatch free weekend will still require either a PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live Gold subscription on console.

On the plus side, you'll be able to level up and earn Loot Boxes, and should you decide to purchase the game later, all your earned content will carry over.

The Overwatch free weekend client is roughly 12GBs.

Did I mention that Overwatch snagged the rare Eurogamer Essential badge?

Source: Overwatch will be free to play during next weekend

Tktonny

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
thanks for this. Have bought this a chrimbo presentfor my lad.
I have been itching to play it so next weekend will give me the chance.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'll be away. Totally intended to dip into the Battleborn weekend just past but failed that too. Oh well.