PS4 Outlast brings “true horror” to PS4 and PS Plus

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score

Hello gamers! I’m Philippe Morin, one of the co-founders of Red Barrels. Our first game, Outlast, is coming to PlayStation 4 this week, and I’m excited to share that those of you who are PlayStation Plus subscribers will be able to download it at no additional cost.

Outlast itself is a survival-horror game created by a team of 11 people with one common goal: to scare the *bleep* out of you.

Here’s the story so far…

In the remote mountains of Colorado, horrors wait inside Mount Massive Asylum. A long-abandoned home for the mentally ill, the facility was recently re-opened by the “research and charity” branch of the transnational Murkoff Corporation. Taking advantage of the Asylum’s history and remote location, they’ve been operating in strict secrecy. That is, they were until the reporter arrived.

Acting on a tip from an anonymous source, independent journalist Miles Upshur has broken into the facility, and what he is about to discover inside will walk a terrifying line between science and religion, nature and something entirely other. Trapped with nightmares old and new, his only hope of escape will lie with the terrible truth at the heart of Mount Massive.

So, in short, you’re a journalist who’s found himself in a very wrong place at the very wrong time. You can’t hope to defend yourself against the mutated patients of the asylum, so you have to sneak, run, and hide… or die. We’ve done our best to create a memorable roller-coaster ride, one that entertains, scares, and leaves you craving more.

In fact, one of the most fun things about watching players make their way through Outlast has been watching the terrified looks on their faces, so we decided to step things up a notch. Newly added on PlayStation 4 is a difficulty level we call “insane.” If you feel brave enough to pick this mode, you’ll have very low health, very few batteries, no checkpoints, and no chance to save your game. It’s do or die. Survive or start again.

So here it is – turn off the lights, crank up the sound, and hold tight to your controller, because true horror is coming straight to your console tomorrow.

We can’t help if you end up needing new underwear, but if you’ve got any comments or questions please post them below or poke us on Twitter or Facebook. We hope you enjoy the game!

Source: EU PlayStation Blog

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
9 out 10 is what the sixth axis give it. Can't wait till tomorrow.;)

Jenxy_

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Has anyone played this yet, myself and Wilks gave it a go last night (It may or may not be true, I was to scared to try it out alone)

I was expecting to be scared, didn't think I it would be to jumpy though, after all its only a game, but bloody hell, it was terrifying, real edge of your seat stuff. Leaving you super anxious about what's around the corner. I have no idea of the amount of times I screamed but it was a lot.

We played it for about 45 minutes and I'm really not sure whether I've got the balls to go back to it, if you are a fan of horror games though, you will love it!

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Has anyone played this yet, myself and Wilks gave it a go last night (It may or may not be true, I was to scared to try it out alone)

I was expecting to be scared, didn't think I it would be to jumpy though, after all its only a game, but bloody hell, it was terrifying, real edge of your seat stuff. Leaving you super anxious about what's around the corner. I have no idea of the amount of times I screamed but it was a lot.

We played it for about 45 minutes and I'm really not sure whether I've got the balls to go back to it, if you are a fan of horror games though, you will love it!
Well I ain't playing it then. I screamed enough playing Dead Island (much to Nuxe and Missy's amusement) and RDR Undead Nightmare. We should play that one again sometime.

PS you're a girl, so by definition you don't *actually* have any balls.

Jenxy_

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well I ain't playing it then. I screamed enough playing Dead Island (much to Nuxe and Missy's amusement) and RDR Undead Nightmare. We should play that one again sometime.

PS you're a girl, so by definition you don't *actually* have any balls.
Pfft details, details re balls.

Haven't turned the PS3 on since the PS4, guess should give it a blast someday. Every time I see you online of late though, you are on Netflix. Get gaming again! :)

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Pfft details, details re balls.

Haven't turned the PS3 on since the PS4, guess should give it a blast someday. Every time I see you online of late though, you are on Netflix. Get gaming again! :)
Yeah, I'm having one of my can't be arsed phases. Sometimes I'll play Rocksmith and that's about it. Normal service will be resumed shortly (I hope!).

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Its a bit scarey. I've only played a bit, and its already made me jump.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm having one of my can't be arsed phases. Sometimes I'll play Rocksmith and that's about it. Normal service will be resumed shortly (I hope!).
Hearing you. Getting humped at work & not in a good way. Seem to just be going to bed shattered with the Vita or passing out drunk. I turned my PS3 on the other day to download the Ace Combat beta but still haven't tried it.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Hearing you. Getting humped at work & not in a good way. Seem to just be going to bed shattered with the Vita or passing out drunk. I turned my PS3 on the other day to download the Ace Combat beta but still haven't tried it.
And to think that you weren't sure about getting one!
Not played mine much recently (there's a surprise....), but the last game I played was Men's Room Mayhem. It's quite fun if you like directing where men should pee and making them wash their hands after!

Bertiepops

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Saw this at Col's place the other day, and it looks pretty well polished. Definitely a 'jumper'. Shame i never did get round to bagging a PS4...

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
You guys are totally wasting your time on that one

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Just watched first 20 mins of gamelplay... I am too scared to play this now...

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Got this the day it came out, jumped twice and pooped once :D was great fun. My mate who came to have a go was actually scared to leave and get into his car incase someone got him.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have finished this now and its not bad, the scariness drops off a bit after a while, you kind of get used to it and it is not too difficult to complete. It was kind of like a horror game version of hide and seek.

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've just started playing this properly, and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've just tried to play this. Got as far as the library then had to switch it off. I might try it again. So long as it's the middle of the day.