PS3 Nothing lasts forever

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The last of us has finally put and end to my playstationn.
The game has been sending the fan on my PS3 into overdrive and last night it finally stopped working. I have the original release day 60ghz (upgaded HDD ) Ps3 and its a wonder its lasted this long. I had a search and it seems to be the RLOD fault . The PS3 powers up then the red light just blinks.
I cant get my last of us disk out, having followed instructions to hold the eject button in while turning on the power, still nothing.
I've just found a T10 bit to open it up and i'm hoping a hairdryer rather than a heat gun might be hot enough to fix it . Just looking for a full youtube vid that is easy to follow.
I will probably put the original HDD back in when I get it running and just keep it for sentimental value when its working again as I dont know if the "Fix" is permanent or just a temporary cure.
My son says I can just use his PS3 as he never plays on it, and I might start selling stuff on eBay to fund a Ps4.
I've also had a problem with our fridge freezer over the weekend, it is half the temp that it should be, -12 degrees freezer and 10 degrees on the fridge. This might be a bit trickier but probably more important to fix than the PS3.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
You got Ps+? If not your saves have gone again. I would just fix it and use it you can heat treat it as much as you like. Maybe look at a new fan too

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'd look at getting some thermal compound and resetting the heatsink if that's something you can do with the PS3 as that's likely the cause of the issue.

I'm having similar issues with my macbook where it's getting hotter than it should be, I reckon a good blast of compressed air through the heatsink to clean off any dust and removing the heatsink and applying fresh thermal paste should sort it out.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your woes Ace. Here's hoping thats the last thing to break down.:(

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have the PS3 apart. Going to get all the crap out of it (there's loads of dust) get some thermal paste tomorrow, heat the board with a hair dryer to re set the cpu and gpu then put the heat sink back on. Hopefully I can get it back together again.
My PS hasnt expired yet so back ups are OK.
If I put my original 60gb drive back in will it need to be formatted or just updated with the latest software update? I dont think there was anything wrong with the original, just full. Was gonna delete stuff off it and use the other larger drive in my PC.
Has anyone who has fixed there PS3 with a heat gun still got it working? It dosent seem to be a permanent fix , by the sound of things this problem starts re occuring after a while and you have to keep on taking it apart and doing the fix again.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've never done it with a PS3, but for the xbox did the whole reapply thermal paste thing. Lasted a few months before dying again. In the end I used to just either wrap it in a towel or stick ear buds in the fans etc to make it overheat. It would last a few weeks then it was a rinse and repeat type of affair until I just got pissed off and bought a new one. So it will in all probability last for a while but eventually keep dying.

The original 60GB HDD shouldn't need reformatting, I think it only reformats if it is a new PS3 that it is put in. However since you have had a different HDD in since I can't say for sure as there might be something saved on the actual PS3's BIOS that overwrites any previous HDD. Try it and find out.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The original 60GB HDD shouldn't need reformatting, I think it only reformats if it is a new PS3 that it is put in. However since you have had a different HDD in since I can't say for sure as there might be something saved on the actual PS3's BIOS that overwrites any previous HDD. Try it and find out.

Correct, if you remove a HDD from a PS3 and then put that same HDD back in the same PS3 at a later date it will just work without any faff.

It doesn't matter if you've had another HDD in the machine in the meantime.

Also if your replacement HDD you used was a 7200rpm then that may have contributed to the overheating too so sticking the original HDD in would likely help too.

Spruijt

Real men wear clogs
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
My 40gb phatty sounds more and more like an airplane too. Could be this heat we've been having. I think I'll follow @ColSonders advice and put the original HDD back in so it might shut up. I don't need that much space anymore anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrissPeacock

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Bad luck ace. I did manage to fix my launch day fatty using a heat gun, the most important bit is to both heat the board up and down slowly and evenly. I found a good two parter on YouTube that was easy to follow so you should have no problems

Regarding your fridge, firstly check the back for fluff in the radiator looking bit, vac out as best you can, a brush attachment works best but be gentle as it is easy to puncture some types. Also, make sure your freezer section is not iced up as that bizarrely makes things worse too. If it's a few years old it may be low on gas which would mean getting a guy out to top it up at which point it's often only good money after bad...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've still got my 60GB day 1 but rarely use it, even though I'm still paying for Continuous Play.
If nothing else, it gobbles the electricity at a startling rate as well as sounding like a harrier jet.
It lives in the living room for the missus to use iPlayer & Netflix with the HDTV,
the slim is in my room with the projector now.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Thanks crispy, the freezer was blocked up with dust , even more than was in the ps3. Clearing it all out has cured it. Shame the same thing dosent work with the ps3, going to try to fix that tonight.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@farfromsane , sorry to hear that your PS3 has gone tits up. I meticulously followed the re-appy thermal paste instructions to try to get mine working again but it wasn't to be.
In a lot of cases it seems to work, atleast for a short time. Worth a try before you look around for a cheap second hand one. Used (slim) ones are still fetching over £120 and all the fats on sale seem to be selling for scrap.

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
@farfromsane , sorry to hear that your PS3 has gone tits up. I meticulously followed the re-appy thermal paste instructions to try to get mine working again but it wasn't to be.
In a lot of cases it seems to work, atleast for a short time. Worth a try before you look around for a cheap second hand one. Used (slim) ones are still fetching over £120 and all the fats on sale seem to be selling for scrap.
I’ve had the console since 2008, so I’ve had a very good run with it. I did watch a few YouTube vids this morning with regards re doing the thermal paste, but it’s only supposed to be a temporary situation. So I’m going to have a walk into town later and check out Cash Converters and CEX shop and see if I can pick up a PS3 Slim. Last resort is a Super Slim.

I'm glad I've got all my saves back up with Cloud.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Just got a second hand PS3 Slim from CEX. replacing the harddrive with my old one so looks like it's got to be reformatted. it's a bit of a bugger luckily as mentioned earlier all my saved games are ps plus cloud

Last edited: