Other Nintendo Switch has NES emulator and a copy of Golf, say data miners

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Nintendo Switch has NES emulator and a copy of Golf, say data miners

It’s hard to say for sure — I cannot replicate this myself — but modders say they have found an emulator within the Nintendo Switch and a copy of all-time NES great Golf installed on it.

This is less about the game and more about the larger meaning. An emulator on every Switch would be a rather big deal. Moreover, as SwitchBrew.org noticed, this game packs instructions specific for the Joy-Con controllers, at least according to the images they supplied.

We emailed Nintendo of America to ask what was going on and received a reply from a representative that they were looking into it. It’s the weekend after all.

Switchbrew found Golf, un-cleverly disguised by the file name “flog” they say. That washed out of a dump of title names from the Nintendo Switch’s file system back in July. According to Github poster yellows8 the game is on every copy of the Switch OS going back to system 1.0. However, “It’s unknown what exactly triggers launching this title.” That’s assuming it can be launched.

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This is how you launch the secret NES Golf game on your Nintendo Switch - Wololo.net

This is how you launch the secret NES Golf game on your Nintendo Switch
by wololo · September 20, 2017

Hackers have finally cracked open the secret on how to launch the secret NES Golf Game that was discovered recently on the Nintendo Switch.

This Easter Egg on the Switch is a tribute from Nintendo to Satoru Iwata, Nintendo’s former CEO. Iwata died in 2015. He had been working on the Nintendo Switch on the year of his death. He was also the programmer behind the NES golf game, in the eighties.

Launching the NES emulator (and the golf game) on the Switch therefore uses references to Iwata. In particular, to be able to run the game, you have to set your console’s date to match Iwata’s date of death: July 11. Additionally, in order to trigger the launch, you must perform a specific move with the joycon controllers: the “Nintendo direct” move from Iwata:

There are a few things that complicate launching the game, though. In particular, if you’ve ever connected your Nintendo Switch to a network, its clock is now synchronized with the network and you can’t trick it anymore by simply changing the date. Some people have reported that doing a factory reset of the console could help, but for most of you, it means you’ll have to wait until July 11th next year to give it a try.

If you do have a Nintendo Switch that’s never been connected to a Network, you can give it a try by manually changing the date to July 11th in your settings, go into the Switch home menu, and reproduce the “Directly to You” gesture above with the two joycons in your hand.

The Switchbrew wiki gives additional details