New text editor and emoji support

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
There is now a new text editor. It functions in a similar way to the old one but the icons are in a different order and there's a few new functions added:

Inline spoilers
Inline spoilers - these work by selecting the text you want to hide in a line of text and then using the option from the dropdown menu:

Your text will appear with [ISPOILER] tags around it and will appear as shown in the text below. Click to reveal the hidden text.

What's black and white and red all over? A sunburnt penguin

For larger amounts of text or text and images, use the Spoiler option (which was previously available).

Table support
There is now table support, using the table button:

Testcangoincells
andsocanimages

Adding images
Images can still be added in the original way (using Attach files, attaching them to upload, then inserting them using the buttons next to them). There is now a new way - using the Insert image button on the toolbar:

Previously you could only use this to insert a link to an image from another website. Whilst you can still do this, you can now drop an image (from your device) onto the box or click on the box and then locate the image to upload. The difference with doing it this way is that it will automatically insert the uploaded image into the editor (so no extra clicking of buttons to add images like you do when uploading them as attachments).

Manipulating images
Both images that are inserted via a link and uploaded images can now be manipulated. Click on them to see a toolbar that lets you do various things to the image. You can also drag on the corners to resize the image:

If you use left (or right) alignment, this will allow you to add text more easily next to the image in question, so giving more of a "magazine article" display to your posts (which previously you could not do, images would only sit on a single line of text).

Emoji support
The smilies we have always had are still here. They are easier to find now as there is a search in the smilies menu:

You will also notice that there is a large range of emojis that you can now use - scroll the list to see these. Emojis are what you will be familiar with from your tablets and phones. So on those devices (and also on PCs/Mac) you can add any of those emojis and they will now be displayed in your posts.

🐶🐱🥐🚴‍♀️🎮

Post previews
Post previews have always been available but previously when you clicked a button it took you to another page to do this. Now a preview will appear below the post you are writing.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Penguins don't get sunburn :bye:

Is the emoticons box slow to load up or is it just me ?

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score

NVranya

Oi! Who stole my pretty green letters?
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
All emojis seem to be separate images, so initially it loaded (relatively) slow here as well on desktop, but now that they are cached it's ok.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've raised the issue of the slow smilies/emojis menu loading to the developers. They are aware that there is an issue on some mobile devices. Hopefully they'll be able to do something about it in the near future.

In the meantime, I've disabled the emojis being displayed in the smilies menu. This should speed it up a lot. Whilst they aren't displayed, you can still use emojis. Mobile users should easily be able to see and use them on their keyboards. Mac desktop users can access them by pressing Ctrl+Cmd+Space. Windows desktop users can access them by pressing Windows + ; (semi-colon) or Windows + . (full stop).

Once this issue is fixed, I'll enable emojis in the smilies menu again.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've just updated the site and there has been a fix made to the slow loading of emojis issue on Android devices. I have re-enabled the feature again and given it a test and it's much quicker than it was.

If there are any continuing problems with this feature, please let me know.