The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

New section ??

Discussion in 'Website News & Support' started by mick, 6 Mar 2013.

1. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    Would it be possible to have a new section for "upcoming games" , "future releases" or whatever to post about newly announced/due to be released etc games.

Or not ?

2. zoob

zoob I fight for the Users!
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    Call it "Hyped" :)

Guess it's actually quote a good idea as it'll grab some passing traffic & generate a bit of banter, much like the new hardware is.

3. mick

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
  4. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Martok-
    Happy to take suggestions like this. What do other people think? Good idea or not?

It's easy enough to create a forum for new/upcoming games (and I'll do this if folk think it would be useful). My only thought is that it will require a bit more management - once a game is released, I presume it would need moving to another forum (e.g. Motorsport). Not a big job really but it would require folk to flag up that the game is released (maybe put the release date in the thread title and add a post in the thread once it's out?) so that moderators would know to move the thread. So, is this a better solution than just posting about new games in a current related forum?

I was wondering about setting up a PS4 section, or at least a PS4 forum for discussion on the new console and games. Good idea or not? What about one for the X720 when that is released?

Feel free to take a look at other forums such as Gaming Oldies and Hope Gaming to see how they have got things set up and to see if there's any ideas there that you like. The current set-up here is based on the previous community that some of us were members of, mainly because this was what we knew and had used for years. I'm more than happy to have something that is a bit more distinctive for Senior Gamers. :)

5. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    What about the system for pushing new topics to the "Front Page", this sort of topic (new games/hardware) is the ideal thing to have posted up there, so would this new section allow for this? Can you choose to push a topic to the front page?

The cleanup afterwards would be the issue for me, i'd rather have an announced game discussed in the relevant section, eg. BF4 discussion should be in the battlefield subform in my opinion, but it would be great to be able to push the first post to the front page to garner interest.

6. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    I *think* the way the new system for pushing topics to a front page works around topics being posted in a particular forum. The first post for anything in that forum would appear on the front page and subsequent posts would be seen as comments (though when you go to the thread itself it just looks like a normal thread, it's just the appearance this gives on the front page). I'm presuming that anything posted in that forum would have to remain there as if it is moved then it would disappear from the front page.

You can see an example of this here http://8wayrun.com/calibur/ (front page) and the forum that these come from here http://8wayrun.com/calibur/forums/news-announcements.78/

We can decide how we want to use the front page once the new site is up-and-running.

7. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I just want to point out that anything that involves manually managing threads is a bad idea, purely for the fact that it has to be managed.

I would like the facility to flag any new topic created as "news" which would push it to the front page and could be used for new games/hardware, but we'll have to see what can be done with the new software.

8. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    As I said to Col in Chat, all SNR full members will have the ability to start new threads in the 'front page' forum. Registered users won't be able to start new threads but will be able to reply to them. So if you feel that something is newsworthy you'll be able to post it up just as easily as making a new post. I think the key will be getting folk to post useful/interesting stuff on the front page that is attractive to both members and outsiders to read.

9. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    I think its fine as it is. I like the idea that BF3 has its own sub-forum, and I dare say that any games that hit the spot will be afforded the same courtesy.

The problem is as Col says; when the upcoming release goes to retail should we move all the threads over.

I rather like the idea of alpha sub-forums. You could create sub-forums under platform threads ie :-

Playstation 3
    A-F
    G-M
    N-S
    T-Z

Quick and easy to navigate there, without the need for FPS, RPGs, racers etc.

10. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    The problem with that is that you'll get games of the same type spread all over the place. For example, if you are a petrol-head you'd have to visit 3 separate forums for F1, GT5, NFS. If you like your shooters/action adventure then you'd be visiting a lot of forums for AC3, Crysis3, FC3, GoW, KZ3, MoHW etc. Personally I think grouping games by type and subforums for popular games means less forum-jumping for folk.

11. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Yes to the new games/console/hype thread but no to the ps4 or 720 these should be made on or around release not before. They will just get filled with bollocks if we start them now.

12. mick

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    Why bother moving it at all ?

For instance take your "Motorsport" example.
    Lets say that GT6 has been announced that it will be released 25 Dec 2013, a new thread goes into the new/upcoming games section and everyone talks a load of doo-doo about what will/wont/maybe in it. Once its been released threads/posts would surely be made in the Motorsport section. At worst all you have to do is lock the thread.

13. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders

Taking this example as a good starting point I think it's quite valid to have these sorts of posts...to be honest we already do have these sorts of posts and they get left to rot once the title/hardware/new toy is released as generally a new thread would be made.

This is the perfect material for going into a forum designated to stuff that gets pushed to the front page, hence showing that we are active and we're talking about upcoming/newly released stuff.

Currently we have a front page that people rarely post to and this is the perfect kind of material for it, news, first impressions, hands on.

14. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    A number of forums seem to show snippets of what is actively being discussed which seems to be a better way of showing things.
    Currently our front page looks well out of date with the PS3 controller story.
    Roughly how long will it take to get a new site up and running? Is it worth one or two of us creating a front page story for this site?

15. Martok

Martok Board Game Addict

PSN:
    Martok-
    I think that depends on the way it is done. Personally I think the front page of Gaming Oldies looks a bit cluttered and untidy.

Yes, our front page does look out of date. It's just been too much for Halo & I to keep on top of with everything else we're doing.

I'm not sure on the timescale yet for the new website. We'll be looking at it this weekend to install plugins and begin customising the theme to make it look like Senior Gamers. It'll likely be the theme that takes the time, so we'll have a better idea once we've looked at it. Then after that we'll need to have a dummy run-through of converting a copy of this site to the new one (so all users, posts, PMs etc remain intact) to check that all goes OK and to pick up any amendments that need doing before we do it 'for real'. I'd hope that we've get the new site up by the end of this month, possibly a bit sooner.

So, if some folk would like to create a front page story or two in the meantime, that would be great. :thumbup:

Incidentally, the intention is to move the front page stories across to the new site too. This'll take a bit more work and database fiddling but hopefully it'll be fine.

16. zoob

zoob I fight for the Users!
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    zb100
    I'm happy enough to squeeze out the odd article, if & when permits.
    Just need some topics to run with...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice