• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

PS4 New Planetside 2 PS4 details, no PS Plus required to play

DrewePeacock

May contain sarcasm
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Greetings from the PlanetSide 2 team! We’ve had a busy start to 2014 with tons of progress being made on the PS4 version of PlanetSide 2! Getting the world’s largest FPS experience to the console is no small feat, and we have an incredibly talented, hard-working team dedicated to the cause.

Each day is a flurry of playtests, reviews, brainstorming, check-ins, and more playtesting for good measure; the progress we’ve made over the last few months has been amazing to watch.

Now the team is looking forward to an exciting summer full of events and reveals, kicking off this month at E3 and MLG Anaheim (June 20th through 22nd) with the very first hands-on playable version of PlanetSide 2 on PS4! We absolutely can’t wait for you to experience the epic scale and intensity of PlanetSide 2.

One of the best things about working on a game like PlanetSide 2 is that it’s a living, evolving game that’s constantly being updated and improved upon. In addition to work being done for PS4, the team is working on a lot of content and game systems enhancements to the live game. Some of the biggest features we’re excited to deliver in the next few months are: Hossin, our fourth full 64sqkm continent, an advanced achievement system called Directives, player-driven continent conquest/locking, and expansions to our game’s Outfits systems.

The best part? These new features will be implemented on both the PC and PS4 versions of the game, and new features and content will continually be added to the game for years to come. And did I mention, all this for a free-to-play title out of the gate — no PlayStation Plus required.

So, check out our new art, buckle up, and get ready. PlanetSide 2 is coming to PS4, and we can’t wait for you to see what all the hype is about!

Share your best war stories on Twitter or Facebook.

Source.

c00ky

Good for target practice
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have heard say this is what Dust514 should have been....

WetPaintGaming

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
This was one of the games I was most looking forward to trying when the PS4 was released.

Pity it's been delayed so much, but if the product is very playable from the beginning rather than a "Brokenfield" type mess all the better.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Its certainly one that i'll be looking out for. I did play a bit on PC but playing this as a noob in a world full of pros was a bit difficult.
@Jkrohn1 still plays it a bit if I think.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Not much now but as ace said it's currently difficult playing catchup with the pro's on the PC. The PS4 version will be a fresh account so depending on how much you play will make or break the game for you. One I'm looking forward too

Wilks

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The wait for PlanetSide 2 on PS4, since delayed from early 2014, will end late 2014. Details from SOE Live 2014 remain similar to what we learned last SOE Live. PlanetSide 2 on PS4 is equivalent to the PC version on Ultra settings. It will remain completely free-to-play (no PlayStation Plus membership required). PS4 players will not be able to play with PC players.

The difference, I guess, is that it's running on PS4 now. We were shown a live PS4 demo during a presentation from PlanetSide 2 senior art director Tramell Isaac, lead designer Luke Sigmund, and creative director Matt Higby, who explained, simply, that getting everything running on consoles well took some time.

In order to have other folks to play with for demo purposes, they actually were playing against PC players, which supports their emphasis on parity between versions: "we haven't stripped anything from the PC version." The problem is that, "on the PlayStation, we're going to be on a different update cadence," whereas "[they] determine when [they] patch to PC," thanks to extra levels of QA from PlayStation. Instead of holding back PC updates for a few days (or, in possible circumstances, longer than a week), the team is leaving them separate for the time being. A future meld is possible, but not particularly likely.

That said, the game looked great running on the PS4 (and better than when I last played a year or so ago) and was running between 30 and 50 frames per second before optimization. There's still no mini-map or store, but the loadout screens and other parts of the UI are complete. You can toggle aim assist off and on. The touch pad on the DualShock 4 will allow you to map certain commands to different areas (if you've gotten the hang of that giant button).

The PC version is also continuing to get new content, which will wind up in the PS4 version as well. A new four-man aircraft, the Valkyrie, has two seats for a dedicated pilot and gunner, two seats where players will be able to shoot whichever weapons they have on hand.

The team explained how it "needed to do more to encourage people to join squads and outfits," and is adding squad mentoring and leadership awards, which confer benefits to outfits that pick up and level up new players. It could prove a helpful step, because the large scale combat is a bit overwhelming when you first dive it. On the other hand, they are working on "battle islands" for smaller affairs (say 40 on 40), with added objective play beyond captures, which could also help ease people into it.
PlanetSide 2 - PlayStation 4 Gameplay from SOE Live:

WetPaintGaming

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Looking good. :D
Indeed it is. As long as it runs/plays smooth with decent graphics that will be more than enough for me.

Been looking forward to this, STILL, since the PS4 came out. Glad they're putting so much effort into getting the "feel" right for console players before they release it.

With this, Destiny on two consoles and Warframe out for the XB1 on September 2nd, it looks like I'll be going from one game I want to play to TOO MANY in the near future ;)

Although I've signed up to the PS2 website for any new info please keep posting any updates as this is certainly a game to watch out for I believe.

Jenxy_

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have to say that I was a bit sceptical about FTP games but this game has really changed my opinion somewhat, its going to be so much fun having a MP shooty game that everyone on your friends list will have.

I'm going to try and and not spend many is any pennies on it either, so am ready for the grind :D

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have to say that I was a bit sceptical about FTP games but this game has really changed my opinion somewhat, its going to be so much fun having a MP shooty game that everyone on your friends list will have.

I'm going to try and and not spend many is any pennies on it either, so am ready for the grind :D
Play Warframe :woot:

Wilks

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
PlanetSide 2 PS4 Preview: Gorgeous graphics, smooth gameplay:

If I were to base the timeframe of PlanetSide 2's beta on PS4 on gameplay, then I'd say it'd be released tomorrow. Save for a few issues with the map, SOE's massive online shooter is playing really well on PS4.

I had the opportunity to demo the game on PS4 during SOE Live, placed on a PTS that combined PS4 and PC users. It's important to note that when PlanetSide 2 enters beta and eventually releases on PS4, console players will not be playing with PC. This is mostly due to the PlayStation version being on a different update cadence.

I last played PlanetSide 2 on PS4 back in June at E3. At the time, much of the focus was on creating a user interface that works with a console controller. SOE claims to have made a “bunch of progress” in terms of optimization for UI, but that wasn't really the focus of my hands-on demo. Sure, I probably took the UI I was sorting through for granted, but nothing seemed to noticeably seem out of place or stick out. It was functional and easy to understand, which is what SOE seems to have been going for.

I was more interested in the actual gameplay though, because as a shooter you want smooth framerate and solid mechanics. To that end, PlanetSide 2 seems natural on PS4. Although SOE has a goal of 60 frames per second, PS2 is currently running around 40-50 FPS depending on the situation. The biggest challenge SOE faces with frame rate, and I also heard this back at E3, is when you have a large number of players all bunched together in a single zone. Unfortunately, I can't really comment on the frame rate during one of those situations because the server I was playing on was pretty empty. On the bright side, I encountered no issues with frame rate, so that's promising.

Visually, I'd say PlanetSide 2 is going to be one of the best-looking shooters on PS4. As we've heard time and time again, the PS4 version's graphics will be equivalent to the Ultra setting on PC. And boy does it look good. For someone whose PC can't run the game on Ultra, this will be a huge difference. Stunning graphics with no noticeable drop in performance is about all one could ask for.
Gameplay-wise, well, it feels natural. I think the sensitivity of the DualShock 4 still needs some fine tuning. Even though you can adjust the sensitivity in the options, I still struggled to find a happy medium as it constantly felt like the game was overcompensating. When I lowered the sensitivity it felt a little too slow, and when I upped it, it felt too fast.

SOE says most of the loadout systems have been finished on PS4, but they've still got work to do on the map and in-game store. Because of that, they still don't have a date for a PS4 beta, but they maintain it'll be available in 2014. If I had to guess, I'd say the wait for a beta won't be too much longer. Like I said, the gameplay is feeling good right now. SOE just needs to a do a bit more fine tuning and optimization, and finish that darn UI.
Source: http://www.gamezone.com/previews/2014/08/16/planetside-2-ps4-preview-gorgeous-graphics-smooth-gameplay

Last edited by a moderator:

IamNumber6

It's not me, it's my brain!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Later this month, you’re invited to watch nearly a full day of livestreams as we highlight our triumphant second anniversary! Join us on Thursday, November 20, 2014 beginning at 10:00 AM PST (6:00 PM GMT) for a tank-load full of awesome:

Planetside 2 Anniversary Stream Schedule
twitch.tv/PlanetSide2

Times:
10:00 AM PST Welcome & Introductions
10:15 AM PST Developer Q&A
10:40 AM PST State of the Union
10:44 AM PST Stream Update
10:59 AM PST Giveaway Time!
11:00 AM PST Special Guests
11:30 AM PST VS Key Art Winner Announcement!
12:00 PM PST PS2 Streamer Power Hour
1:00 PM PST Best Player Creations from This Year!
1:15 PM PST More Special Guests!
2:00 PM PST Even more Giveaways!

* Schedule subject to change

With giveaways galore, an in-depth look back at the past two years, live Q&A’s with the awesome game developers, the latest news surrounding the future of Planetside 2 - including the upcoming PlayStation® 4 launch - and more, there’s plenty of reasons to tune in!

WetPaintGaming

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Still VERY interested for whenever this game makes it's appearance on PS4.

Do the members of SNR have a preference for which faction they will play as? I know you can play as all three, should you wish, but I just wondered if there was an underlying group affiliation from anyone who's played, or playing, Planetside 2 on the PC.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'll join the same as the majority lol

WetPaintGaming

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
PlayStation 4 Update [Official PlanetSide 2 Anniversary Stream]

Hope I did this right ??