Multi New DICE video shows how Frostbite 3 makes Battlefield 4 better

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
DICE has released a new video showing how the Frostbite 3 engine makes Battlefield 4 better.

Frostbite is the game engine created by Swedish studio DICE's technical team. A number of EA studios are using it for their games, including Need for Speed: Rivals, Dragon Age: Inquisition and Command & Conquer.

But it's with DICE's Battlefield 4 that we expect the most striking advances, and in the video below members of the team explain these in detail.

DICE begins by showing how trees sway as a result of the wind and explosions caused by players. Getting trees to move in real-time as a result of the weather has always been tricky, but now it's now.

DICE then goes into detail on Levolution, the term used to describe how multiplayer maps change as a result of players blasting structures, including skyscrapers, to bits.

We're then told about networked water simulation, which means all players see the same water in the same position at the same time. Essentially, when a jet falls into water, it creates waves realistically that affect gameplay.

And finally we're told that character eyes, for so long so unrealistic in games, will finally look right. Or is that left?

Battlefield 4 is due out at the end of October for PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One and Xbox 360.

Source: Eurogamer

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It makes the game look better but will it make it better to play.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It makes the game look better but will it make it better to play.
It depends on your definition of better.

It will certainly make the game more immersive, but the gameplay won't change as a result of the immersion.

I'm all for it though, loved how immersive BF3 was/is on the older version of this engine with all the small graphical updates they brought along. I recall being underwhelmed by the graphics when I played the beta of BF3 because the graphics didn't seem as crisp as BFBC2. But the particle effects and lighting effects that came with BF3 made it so much more immersive to me.

The extra detail being brought to the table not only by the updated engine but by the jump up in graphics levels of the next gen hardware are going to make this game and the underlying engine really shine through.