The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

My Sixaxis has drowned.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Acegadgets, 2 Sep 2012.

1. Acegadgets

Acegadgets Not so serious gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I've got one of these silicone skins on it , (its the secret of my phenomenal gaming abilities) Anyway from time to time I take it off as it gets a bit greasy and give it a wipe with a damp cloth, before washing the skin and putting it back on.
    Anyway today while removing the skin the controller fell into the sink.
    I quickly pulled it out and thought i'd got away with it as the lights were still on. I gave it a few shakes and it seemed to work ... for about a minute, then .... no more.
    Does anyone know if I just shorted a battery or something out. Anyone know if they can be fixed easily?
    Its currently in the airing cupboard drying out , didnt seem to have much water in it when I loosened the casing to let any water out.

2. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    Give it a good airing out and then use a straightened paperclip or something similar to poke into the hole on the back of it, hold it in while you push the playstation button on the front and hopefully it will spring back to life.

But yeah you may well have shorted something. Not having the ability to whip the battery out if it gets wet is a serious flaw of certain modern day electronics...the iPhone being another.

3. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    Blah I did write a reply to this a few hours ago but I think the boards had a funny half hour or something.
    Anyhow, commiserations on the potential demise of your controller. Shopto.net have them for about £27 at the moment, I ordered another a few days ago. With my track record of broken controllers I thought it would be pertinent to "stock up".

4. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I think its appauling that 10 year old Chinese children have to struggle to put these badly designed contraptions together. Its way too difficult for an over 50 year old to do, so children should never have to endure this ordeal.

5. Plaxinator

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    LOL, you didn't take it apart did you? You so know a spring is going to pop out and it will never go back together quite the same way again.

6. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I used to always pull apart my console controllers to clean them, maybe once or twice a year, kept them running much more smoothly.

But the PS3 controllers are a bitch to piece back together, not so bad the 2nd and 3rd time, but the first time is a real pain in the neck.

7. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    I took one if his a part a year or two ago he has the patients of a dog chasing a ball hence his frustration lol

8. Plaxinator

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    When I get home I'm going to pull apart all my broken controllers and make a Frankenstein controller.

9. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I got the old one the works but moves forward on its own back together. Going to be using that one for a while. But the rumble one is still in bits. Still hoping that it might spring back to life soon.

10. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders

Why have you got broken controllers?

Did you get frustrated and throw them at something?

That has got to be the biggest problem with wireless controllers....it's just too convenient to be able to throw them now that there's zero chance of it dragging your console off anything.

So far i've broken none, though have throw my controller up into the air next to me (rather than AT anything) a few times, but I still have my launch day controller which works fine as well as two dual shock controllers.

11. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    My new baby blue one makes a lot of creeking plastic sounds due to a few wall smashes and my white one as my favourite has only been punched and kicked about a little. Ace if you need a controller I have 2 no vibrating ones I only use when my two main ones have flat batteries.

12. Plaxinator

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    Controller 1 = no longer pairs with the PS3 otherwise would still work.
    Controller 2 = The R1 button started sticking so I finished off against the wall. It still kind of works even though the R1 button fell off and doesn't hold in place anyone.
    Controller 3 = well I did actually genuinely break it in my temper. The D-Pad is iffy on it now and the R1 button fell off.

R1 buttons have a lot to answer for.

13. HaloJ

HaloJ Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    HaloJ
    Controller 1 - have you tried pressing the reset button through the tiny hole?

14. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    I had a rumage around and found a working one, just not a rumbler. Also have Ryans, but his is stiff due to lack of use.

15. Plaxinator

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    OMG Halo, you gem, that worked a treat. Can't believe I didn't think of that myself!

16. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    :thumbup:

17. Acegadgets

Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Acegadgets
    On the third day the controller busrt into life and rose again;: he ascended into playstation heaven,: he is now seated in the right hand of the master and once again in control of making the living into dead.

18. Plaxinator

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    Nice one, hope it is still behaving itself.

I've fixed my last 2 broken controllers. Pulled them apart, put bits back where they should have been and stuck them back together. Where the threads have snapped off, making it impossible to screw back together, I used some masking tape to hold that part of the case down. I have now gone from having 2 controllers to 5. It doesn't rain it pours lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice