The Board Game Hut - Great Games Supported By Great Service
Dismiss Notice
Welcome to Senior Gamers!

We are a community for mature gamers who primarily play online games on PlayStation consoles (PS4, PS3, PS Vita). You can find out more in our About Us section.

If you are new to the site, why not register? By doing so and being an active member you can view the site without adverts, make posts and more. You can register here and even do so using Facebook, Twitter or Google+!

Motion sickness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slaine, 23 Dec 2012.

1. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    I used to get car sick really really bad (and sea sick, air sick, even train sick). I seem to have grown out of all of them, even the dreaded sea sickness.

Playing Minecraft on the 360 this morning I started to feel a bit of a headache, so I thought I best turn it off soon (as the warnings go). Anyway, I didnt get a chance because a couple of minutes later I was as sick as a pig. I felt so rough. My head was killing me, but more than that it took everything I had to stop myself from puking. Laid down, had a sleep for an hour or so and felt better. But even now I still feel a bit rough. Im dying to play some games, but I daren't in my current position. :(

I had this once before when I was playing Lost Planet. I never had it since, and I never went back to that game.

So the moral of the tale is dont ignore a headache when playing games. Turn the bugger off immediately. Trust me, it was worse than man-flu.

2. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    Is your tv new or old? Are you using HDMI? If you are and you have a spare try changing it or disconnect and reconnect. My ps3 started getting me dizzy noticed a slight blur in the picture (very slight and hardly visible) I changed my cable and now it's gone and I stopped getting dizzy.

If your TV is old it might be on its way out, like plasma blur/burn. If it's lcd or led you don't normally get this issue so it could only be the HDMI or the picture decoder.

3. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    My other half gets like that, she can only watch me play the PS3 for a couple of minutes before she starts to feel ill. It started when she used to play Casper on the PS2.
    She has been diagnosed with migrane vertigo.

4. ColSonders

ColSonders A.W.O.L.
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    ColSonders
    I dunno about the blurring of plasma on it's way out, but HDMI is a digital signal, it's either on or off, there's no in between. So the only thing a fecked cable could cause is flickering of the signal in and out, it couldn't distort it.

It's more likely to be related to the refresh rate of the screen, you're very limited on what you can do about this on consoles, but worth tweaking what you can in this respect to see if it makes any difference.

5. Plaxinator

Plaxinator Wino extraordinaire
    Staff Member Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Plaxinator
    Never had motion sickness playing consoles thankfully. However the older I get the worse my motion sickness is getting. When I was younger I never used to get travel sick at all. Now I always throw up on the ferry (and things "move" for at least a day afterwards when back on solid ground), I always feel sick on a coach and as a car passenger I sometimes feel ill, but that's thankfully quite rare. Never had it on an aircraft but haven't been on a plane for few years.

6. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    The tvs fine. Its only the second time I've ever been ill. Didn't help that I was playing whilst tired

7. Jkrohn1

Jkrohn1 5P4M 80T
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    JKrohn1
    More then likely the cause was tiredness, let's hope it doesn't happen again :)

8. mick

mick Even More Grumpy Grandad
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    mick170669
    I never used to get any sort of motion sickness but I also do when I'm a passenger in a car. I get it in an ambulance as well which isnt very nice but they never let me drive. Mine seemed to start when I started driving when I was 25, maybe just a coincidence.

9. Slaine

Slaine Serious Gamer
    Senior Citizen

PSN:
    Torquemada
    The train sick was the biggest joke. I mean who gets travel sick on a train!??!?! But gradually over the years Ive lost the sickness. I first thought it was because I passed my test, and strangely never got car sick when I was driving; only when I was a passenger. But I had a trip on a ferry to France a couple of years ago. I felt absolutely fine, and even had something to eat.

My son said hes had it a few times now, and may be by cooincidence he said it was Minecraft that did it one time for him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice