Mobile phones

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
With the current trend of smart phones and other such stuff it does make me wonder how people would manage if they suddenly had to do without one. You cant go anywhere nowadays without seeing someone with a phone stuck to the side of there head or tapping away at the screen.

This was the last model of mobile that I had, a Nokia 7110, and probably my last ever as I have no need for one and have done without one for about 9 years now.

jonnywombat

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Ahhh Mick, my phone is a good lump of my life. It's my diary, notepad, mobile internet, shopping, portable gaming device, I watch tv on it, listen to music through it, its my say nav, I used it to word process and share docs, its the only camera I carry, and I share and store them. In fact the thing I do least is talk on it...

Sent from my phone :)

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
My phone usage is very similar to @jonnywombat. To me, it's more like a pocket computer than a phone. I extensively use the calendar on it for work and personal appointments, use the contacts and emails too plus a to-do list (tasks) - all using Google Apps so backed up if I lost my phone. I use the mapping to find things or my location when lost in London (though I do use a separate Sat Nav device). I compare prices with online when out shopping, read Senior Gamers and other forums when on the move with Tapatalk, take photos with it when I've not specifically gone out with my 'proper' camera. I also use the internet on it when out and about. I do use it for phone calls and texts too, but I'd say that the data usage through using it as a mobile computer is used far more.

Last edited:

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yeah my mobiles replaced my minidisc & MP3 player. I too watch films and tv on it (point your browser here if you havent got the app http://www.tvcatchup.com/). But more than anything, I browse the internet a hell of lot on it.

My phone never rings at all, and I very rarely make calls.

Oh, and I had that phone. Saw the Matrix and loved the way the mouthpiece flopped down when you pressed the button. I used to think I was so cool with that phone.

Heres my latest phone.....

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant here

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I very rarely make calls on my mobile. In fact I have an allowance of 50 minutes a month and use about 5 minutes if that. I make any calls on my landline as I have free unlimited calls as part of my package.

I use my phone for Internet and emails mainly. Also the camera is very useful. It is basically a pocket computer. Got various news apps etc. Also got music unlimited and Netflix on it bit don't really use them much.

Sent from my Samsung mobile somewhere in the bowels of Telford.

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The main use of my mobile phone is probably still a phone. As a driver I need to be in contact with the depot while i'm out. I usually stick with Sony as the cameras are great. I like taking piccies but havent owned a camera for many years. I also spend my short breaks at work on the internet and use google maps and the calculator. I also havent owned a watch in 30 years, so it replaces that as well as my sat nav and calc.
I have music on it but never really bother with it as the speaker is a bit naf and you cant really drive with headphones on. I also dont use mine for games as I just dont have time to play games when i'm working.
I suppose a "Phone" pretty much is a work tool for people nowadays with those that commute on public transport also using it for enterntainment.

SHROUD

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have a smart phone, but mainly use it for texting and an alarm clock when away from home. Not a fan of the mobile gaming fad. I want a game console and a big TV, now thats gaming :).

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I guess it just goes to show how boring my life is, I don't do friends, I don't talk to my family, I don't go anywhere, I got a craptop for internet and the PS3 for games so have no need for a phone. That could change when/if I get a job.

Oh, and I had that phone. Saw the Matrix and loved the way the mouthpiece flopped down when you pressed the button. I used to think I was so cool with that phone.
That was a common misconception about the 7110, the phone used in The Matrix was a modified 8110. A normal 8110 has the sliding cover but it wasn't spring loaded like the 7110, so a 8110 was modified for the film to incorporate the spring loaded mechanism of the 7110.

Screen grab from the DVD

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Strangely given that i'm a bit of a techy geek I could happily live without my smartphone.

I don't think i'd like not being able to instantly communicate with my wife and my mates, but other than that I could happily go without my mobile phone, other than commuting my mobile phone basically doesn't get used as I have a full blown computer I sit in front of at work every day and a macbook on hand when at home.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Samsung Note 2 FTW.
I occasionally make telephone calls but texting, clock/alarm, mobile internet hotspot, taking pictures & MP3 player are essential.
Why the Note? I'm long-sighted & get worse when tipsy.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
Well I do almost everything on my phone and without it i would be lost. I have the HTC One X and although it looks big, in hand it feels a good size :)

I like most use this forum more on my mobile then my pc. It's just convenient and fast.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm really tempted to get a Samsung Note 8. It's a tablet, but the only one you can make calls or text with. It's a bit pricey at the moment though. I'll add it to my ever expanding wish list :D

Really happy with my Samsung Galaxy S3 you see. Don't really need a Note 8, well I do really as you can't fill in the Times crossword using an android phone but you can with a tablet as there is an app for it apparently. There definitely is for the iPad mini anyway as my friend keeps sending me screen shots of the cryptic. Just to make me jealous I think, or to show off. Probably the latter now I come to think of it. The Concise in more my forte, and the cryptic his.

TalllPaul

Semi-Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was watching an old Bon Jovi music video the other day, and as you, I started randomly wondering how hard it must have been to arrange meet ups etc with only payphones/housephones lol Couldn't live without mine now, mainly due to the lack of memory for remembering peoples number and the rareity of payphones now :P

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I was watching an old Bon Jovi music video the other day, and as you, I started randomly wondering how hard it must have been to arrange meet ups etc with only payphones/housephones lol Couldn't live without mine now, mainly due to the lack of memory for remembering peoples number and the rareity of payphones now :P
People used to be able to remember directions, details, etc. We're encouraging sieve memories in the young now, rather than just the seniors!

Dmk222

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I use my phone for most things now I live with 3 woman so getting to a pc or sitting in front of the tv is near on impossible at moment unless it's late night