• Welcome to Senior Gamers!

Senior Gamers [SNR] is a community for mature gamers aged 25+ years who primarily play on the PlayStation consoles.

We used this website from June 2012 until March 2020. Technology moved on during this time and we have now moved to Discord. If you are familiar with it already you'll know how quick and easy it is to use. If you haven't tried it yet, you really should!

You can browse this archived website to see what we posted over the years.

You can join us on Discord to see what we've posted more recently and to chat. Click on the link below to find us. We hope to see you there!

Senior Gamers Discord

mobile phone

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well after years of not joining in on the mobile revolution I have finally succumbed and am now the owner of a Sony Xperia Z2.
It's a bit daunting, don't have a clue what I'm doing with it.
All I have to do now is get some friends so I have some numbers to put on it :(

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well done, you're really getting hi-tec lately aren't you what with a Vita as well! Did you ever sort anything out for that? If you can tether on your plan you should be able to use your shiny new mobile as a modem for it.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well if you don't drink water you die and I'm pretty sure that there is water in wine. Jesus made wine out of water after all!

Acegadgets

Not so serious gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I ditched my Sony Xperia last November when my contract ran out and got a Nokia windows phone. It was my second Xperia and thought it was excellent but I couldn't resist the £7.00 per month deal on the Nokia (inc a shiney new Phone). I must say it was a very impressive phone for the price and was pretty happy with it until last week. I tried to use it and the touch screen just would not respond. Closer inspection showed that the front had a crack running through it. It was barely noticable and didn't think that this would be the problem. However after a bit of googling I found that a small crack is enough to break the sensors on the phone and that if there is any sign of damage, retailers would not repair this under warranty.
I looked at the cost of repair and decided that it would be cheaper to get a new phone.
I decided to back to Android, as there are more apps available on it than on windows. I was thinking about another Xperia, but my son has had a bit of bother with his, pretty much caused by it getting wet, It was supposed to be waterproof, but apparently not. Its been back a few times.
I was looking for a big phone 5" would be good, Android 4.2, 1.3 ghz would do, with a decent camera of 8mp or thereabouts. It looked like I would be paying around £180 for a Sony xperia M2 or HTC desire 610. The better Samsung galaxys, Nexus and Motorollas were well out of my price range, so I looked for a cheaper alternative.
I kept coming up on Amazon with a Chinese make called Cubot. At first I thought, No way do I want a dodgy Chinese thing. However the reviews were excellent and the price of £65 really clinched the deal for me.
It arrived yesterday, and first impressions are extreamly positive.
techy specs:- Cubot P6
  • Android 4.2.2 with 1.3GHz MTK6572W, Cortex A7 Dual-core processor and 512MB RAM + 4GB ROM
  • 5.0 inch large capacitive screen with 960*540 pixels QHD screen resolution
  • Support 2G network: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz; Support 3G network: WCDMA 850/2100MHz
  • 8.0MP(when the Preview size is Standard(4:3), the pixels is 8.0M; when the Preview size is Full screen, the pixels is 6.0M) High definition back camera with Auto Focus and flashlight Front 5.0MP(when the Preview size is Standard(4:3), the pixels is 5.0M; when the Preview size is Full screen, the pixels is 4.0M) camera
ITS HERE IF YOU ARE INTERESTED

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Good choice of phone, @mick. I'm likely to go for the Xperia Z1 compact next month. I want the compact as I don't want a phone that's too big and it's the Z1 version as they haven't released a Z2 compact yet.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I mainly went for the Sony because someone at work has one and I liked the photos it took. Easily pleased me :)

Sportsvee

Has a Fan....
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I like my S3. Looking back at my old phones it is HUGE (thats what she said too) but I use it more than my laptop. Hell, im on it now.

Get what suits you and enjoy. Smartphones = goooooooooood.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yeah I have a galaxy S3 as well, it's brilliant so my sister and mum copied me (but my mum got an S3 mini). I don't bother with getting a contract with a phone anymore, I just get a SIM only contract.

zoob

I fight for the Users!
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Note 2 here.
My main contact with Internet these days.
Does the job.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Its huge for a phone, or phablet as they call it. Best phone I've ever owned