XBOne Microsoft: Use Xbox One vertically "at your own risk"

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Disc drive design means machine must be horizontal

Microsoft's Albert Panello, senior director of product management and planning for Xbox, has warned consumers not to use their Xbox One in a vertical orientation as the machine is not designed to function when not horizontal.

The issue, says Panello, is with the slot-based disc drive. Whilst the 360's tray meant that it was able to operate on either plane, a slot means that using the One vertically is done "at your own risk."

"We don't support vertical orientation; do it at your own risk," Panello toldGamespot. "It wouldn't be a cooling problem, we just didn't design the drive for vertical. Because it's a slot loading drive, we just didn't design it for both."

Other machines, such as the PS3 and PS4, have successfully utilised a slot drive without the need to prohibit vertical orientation, but Panello doesn't see it being a problem.

"We found, interestingly enough," he added, "that 80 percent of people, believe it or not, have their Xbox [360] horizontally."

Source: gamesindustry

So they can't even get the design of the XBone right. Numpties.

Dogstar

Regular Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I like a lot of people probably, haven't got room to store it vertically. However, it's always nice to have a choice. Sigh

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
#Sarcasm alert#
Gotta give it to MS, they are doing a grand job marketing their product!

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I think I have a MS fish tank as that came with the same warning about using it vertically :think:

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I have my stuff in a TV stand so needs to be horizontal and have never had a device vertical before.

The_Carpet_Frog

Even More Grumpy Grandad
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I tried having my PS2 vertical but found it too hard trying to put a disk in while drunk so put it back horizontal.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I've used both the PS2 and the PS3 in the vertical position at times depending on the layout around the TV. Currently it's horizontal as it fits in the unit we now have but I would always like the option to change it in the future.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I have my PS3 vertical, always have, takes up a far smaller footprint that way and I have it standing behind the TV.

My PS4 will also be used in the same orientation.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Mine are always horizontal. Purely because of the unit but also because anything vertical in my house is just waiting to get kicked over.

yinkin

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I read the headline and thought it meant you had to lie down to use kinect, I suppose the warning still applies if you play kinect while drunk.