XBOne Microsoft to announce next-gen Xbox on May 21

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
As expected, the company will be holding a special event prior to E3 to unveil its new Xbox

Microsoft finally announced today that it's planning to unveil its next generation plans during a special event on May 21 at Microsoft's Redmond campus. The news came via press invites sent out to media this afternoon.

The event, dubbed "A New Generational Revealed", lists a start time of 10 a.m. and mentions that Don Mattrick will lead the announcement. And in case there's any doubt that the event is to announce a new Xbox, the invitation also includes the Twitter hashtag #XboxReveal.

Given all the controversial rumors about the next Xbox being always-online and requiring players to possibly need to be online even to play solo, it'll be very interesting to see what the final feature set on the new hardware ends up being. Many are expecting hardware specifications somewhat similar to what Sony is including in the PS4, and given Sony's developer-centric and more open approach to the PS4, a number of developers are hopeful that Microsoft will be equally open with the next Xbox.

We'll have more details soon.

Source: GamesIndustry

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I know I won’t be getting an xBox as I’m a playstation kind of guy, but I am curies to see if the rumours turn out to be true or false.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
I do t think they will release all the details as it will stop people buying it. Jesus if they say no second hand games even though I rarely buy them it will be a major put off.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
As much as an always on console wouldn't bother me personally I think it could be the death of the xbox brand if that rumour turns out to be accurate (though I think it is a miscommunication and think it's xbox live that requires an always on connection) and they don't change that before release.

I'll be interested to see if this comes up in the reveal to be honest.

But so far Sony has shown me nothing that has really grabbed me, lets see if Microsoft can...

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The PS4 has left me a bit meh too.

Anyone else noticed the amount of hate and loathing Microsoft has picked up over the last few months? I'm not talking about here, but on their own official forums, every gaming website etc. I notice Yaster tweeted much the same, as he noticed it too. Theres a lot of ill will towards Microsoft, and its not just Sony fanboys. Being a Prophet Of Doom, I imagine that the next console will probably equally un-wow me as the PS4 has done.

And another thing. I like Kinect, I really do. But its left the hardcore really divided. My son hates it and calls it "an unresponsive piece of shit", which is fair play for some of its games & software. Not everything works well, but there are some games that work just fine. Anyway, the fact that this is coming bundled with each & every new Xbox (as per the rumours) hasnt filled a lot of people with joy. My son, as do a lot of the 360 hardcore, enjoy mature and skilled experiences. They dont want to be waving their arms or jumping on the spot. I must admit this does fell like we're being forced down a path against our will. Me, I'm happy enough with a bundled Kinect, but being brutally honest it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world if I didnt have one either. Im with the hardcore here; and I get most of my gaming goodness from regular games with a pad. Pure dedicated Kinect games can be fun, not as much fun as say Kinect enabled games (like Skyrim & Mass Effect 3). I think this is a mistake on Microsoft to force this on the consumer. In my opinion, the consumer doesnt want it, otherwise everyone wouldve bought one for the 360. The Kinect sold well, but not as well as Microsoft probably hoped for.

So to recap, you pay for Live just so you can play online. You have adverts forced on you at every conceivable turn, be it at the dashboard or within an app. You WILL have a Kinect, and according to the rumours, WILL be required to have it connected at all times. We already know the rest with regards to always online and not being able to share or use 2nd hand games.

You can understand the reasons for the hate Microsoft has been receiving. Yeah all the above are just rumours at the mo, but remaining tight lipped has allowed this all to fester. I think theyve made a big mistake, because even if all the above turns out to be bullshit, it will still overshadow their announcement. Straight off the bat theyve got to hit the ground running, and my gut feel is its going to be the same offering as Sonys, which isnt going to cut it.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I avoid official forums like the plague to be honest but even with the best will in the world i've noticed large amounts of XBOX gamers already hating on the next machine before anything is confirmed. It really is a sad state of affairs and I totally agree with Slaine that Microsoft has made a big mistake by not firefighting this yet.

I'd like to hope that Kinect 2 is an 'option' to use and isn't forced upon us as a control interface...yes it's probably a million times more accurate than the first, but that doesn't mean it will be implemented well in games and it doesn't mean people will want to use it all the time...look at the gun controller on PS3 as an example...FAR more precise than Kinect from what i've heard and it was simply amazing on Killzone 3....they then built Socom 4 around this control method and it was utter garbage!

I'm also hopeful that they come out and say that it's actually xbox live that requires an always online internet connection to use...not the machine itself.

Hardware wise though it's looking to be a very close race, both machine look to be shipping with webcams/dual analogue control pads and both machine will be similar in hardware...though we don't have actual specs from the horses mouth yet for the xbox you can guarantee there won't be a massive void and that crossplatform games will look about the same.

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Apparently Microsoft have an agreement with EA, which might mean timed exclusive LC for all of EA games for the nextbox. So no matter the specs or if the rumours are true it’ll will sell a lot.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Apparently Microsoft have an agreement with EA, which might mean timed exclusive LC for all of EA games for the nextbox. So no matter the specs or if the rumours are true it’ll will sell a lot.
You reckon?

I don't think people are bothered about that, I know BF3 had everything released 2 weeks earlier on PS3, but I don't think many people went out and bought a PS3 because of this (though I know of one Youtuber who did).

I don't think people in general are that stupid that they'd go for a poorer console (assuming the XBOX is lining up to be a failuer) just to get EA branded DLC a couple of weeks earlier.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I agree. Early DLC wont swing it. The COD series of games had all the DLC first on the 360 for at least a month, and the PS3 still managed to catch up in sales. Although the CODs may not get much airtime over here, they are argueably the most played game online for any console. They are always top of the charts on Live (closely followed by Minecraft!!:D), and were allegedly the reason Live subs got increased a few years back (so they could subsidise Activision, who were aggrieved that only Microsoft seemed to benefit from their games being played all the time). Even exclusive DLC wont do it for me. Ive fallen out of love with DLC, and will only buy if it represents absolute value for money. Which most DLC doesnt.

Cost is going to be the winner here too. Sony are famous for pricing themselves out of any market, so I'll be interested to see what ridiculous price tag they put on the PS4. Even if Microsoft come out the cheapest again, I still dont think it'll be a clear win unless they can clear up all this always online shite.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Yeah there's still a lot of factors that will be considerably bigger than DLC exclusivity.

Price Point

Release Date

System Specs.

Those are going to be the three major things for most gamers...though if either company makes the mistake of showing intent to cripple second hand games they'll fail, the community has already been very vocal about this and many gamers who barely bother with second hand games have already stated they won't get a new machine that doesn't allow it.

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
It’ll have a massive effect on the teenage demographic especially in the States and my Nephew. As for the price of the PS4 lots of talk about it being between £299.99 and £399.99.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
You know the 360 was cheaper then the PS3 and sold well to the younger generation, the ps3 was expensive and was sold to the older generation <---- not fact, my opinion. The ps3 is now around the same price as the 360 and is selling better but I feel this is now getting bought by people of all ages. The fact its a Blu ray player (3D capable) it's a great machine at a great price now. Cost doesn't matter to me, but I hope the ps4 is expensive, my view is the older the gamer the better. I played on the 360 with random kids who constantly sang and raged, I have only recently noticed this on the ps3 since the price drop.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Thing I'll be most curious about is to see if they actually reveal the physical console itself. Microsofts mouthpiece Major Nelson tweeted sarcastically about Sony "what a novel way of announcing to the world your new console without actually showing it". He got a lot of flack for that, and I dare say the internet will tear him a new one if Microsoft dont actually show the finished product themselves.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Been some interesting developments on this always online nonsense....

Many websites are reporting that it is indeed true, however there is a twist. Microsoft will not be enforcing the always online rule, or stop game sharing at all. The ability and tools are there, and apparently it rests with the publisher if they wish to implement this in their releases. This actually seems to have more than a ring of truth about it, especially as Microsoft can effectively wash their hands of any problems and throw it back at the developers and publishers. Show of hands who thinks EA will implement it.:rant:

Want to know something else, if Microsoft are the only purveyor of this nonsense, and that Sony will not follow suit at all, then Sony how would you like the money for the PS4? Cash or cheque? I tell you, I will not buy any console that even has just the ability to implement this, because you know that it will be used by someone, if not immediately then certainly in the near future. And not to great effect either I should wonder (remembering the issues of the past). And woe betide if anyone has some degree of sucess at it, as I dare say all the others will jump on board to protect their IPs.

Thing is, Ive also read a lot that Sony already have similar tools too, where you load a disc once and it is rendered obselete thereby negating game sharing/trading. They are allegedly remaining tight-lipped on this and holding it back. Are they just waiting to see what Microsoft are going to do, and the reaction they get? Also, it looks like Microsoft were indeed going to announce the new Xbox on 25th April, but put it back so they could modify their announcement in the wake of the PS4 announcement. Does this mean the always online business is going to be cut?

All gossip I know, but interesting all the same. Thing is, I remember when the PS1 came out, and all the excitement surrounding it. People went nuts for the PS2, and then the PS3. This new generation seems to have created nothing but ill-feeling and negativity for both the PS4 and the new Xbox. Is this all bluster and they will sell millions anyway?!?!? Personally I think no, because in all my years Ive never seen such hostility surrounding what should be the best news ever for all gamers everywhere.

farfromsane

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The XBOX is getting an exclusive game? Um, big whoop?
Not just any old Exclusive it's from the makers of CoD. It's a FPS. xBox loves FPS. It'll be huge in the States

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well no because it's a mech game....and mech games never do well.

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Well no because it's a mech game....and mech games never do well.
Yes only the japs seem to go for this shit. Their obsession for blue haired teenagers, impossibly endowed women, and all things mechs seems to know no bounds.

Seems odd that a studios first game is restricted to just one console though. Even Bungie managed to knock out a few seminal games before signing up Halo as an Xbox exclusive.

Oh well, all will be revealed soon.

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
If it was CoD or BF4 then this would be a real problem but I don't think this is anything to worry about. As others have said, it's a game with mechs which generally don't do well outside of Japan.