X360 Microsoft names next free game for Xbox 360 Gold subscribers

Martok

Board Game Addict
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
The next free offering in Microsoft's Games with Gold program is aging Xbox Live Arcade title Defense Grid: The Awakening, Microsoft has announced.

Xbox Live Gold subscribers can download the tower defense game for free today until 15th July, Major Nelson revealed. It's usually 800 Microsoft Points - a saving of £6.80.

Another free game will come along on 16th July, a twice-monthly pattern that Microsoft announced during its E3 presentation. Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3 were also namechecked as coming to the service "in the next few months".

The scheme is a rival to Sony's generous PlayStation Plus service. The two subscriptions cost roughly the same each month, although Sony's line-up of free stuff is infinitely more generous.

This month with a PlayStation Plus subscription you could download, for free: Uncharted 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Catherine, The Cave, Demon's Souls, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus HD, Kingdom's of Amalur: Reckoning and LittleBigPlanet Karting.

That's not counting the free Vita titles: Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, Rayman Origins and Sine Mora.

Source: Eurogamer

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I'm guessing Microsoft want to keep the 360s from being traded in with 6 months worth of free games. They're dying to keep the gold subs alive, and the promise of free games could do that. There's no goodwill here, only a market strategy in force.

Plaxinator

Wino extraordinaire
Staff member
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Defence Grid sounds shit. Not my cup of tea. Never mind I will still download it!

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Defence Grid sounds shit. Not my cup of tea. Never mind I will still download it!
Its not bad. I bought it ages ago in a sale.

The Sixthaxis best describes my thoughts here.......

Meanwhile this month on PS Plus Sony will be offering Battlefield 3, Payday The Heist, Saint’s Row The Third, Unit 13 and Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus in Europe. Both Gold and PS Plus cost pretty much the same price.
Im still pretty bitter and angry with Microsoft over their treatment of consumers. And no @Martok, I am not warming to them and will not change my mind nearer the time:P;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Slaine

Serious Gamer
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
.......and that's not the end of it.

Apparently someone senior at Microsoft had tweeted that the next two games would be Halo 3 and Assassins Creed 2. Anyway a few people had kept a copy of this post and have accosted Major Nelson over it. He's thrown his hands up in the air and said I'm not getting involved and has passed the buck to Microsofts marketing department to sort.

Not a good day for Microsoft eh?! They can't even give free stuff away without getting bad press.

ColSonders

A.W.O.L.
Senior Citizen
Reaction score
Not a good day for Microsoft eh?! They can't even give free stuff away without getting bad press.
Aye they're having a shit time of it at the moment, which they've brought on themselves for being so greedy, but getting bad press about giving Halo 3 away free is a little unfair.

Jkrohn1

5P4M 80T
Senior Citizen
Donator
Reaction score
1 free £5 game next to 4 free £5 games I know who I'm going with lol